• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2017 3:15 pm
[OP]
Oct 28, 2005
481 posts
397 upvotes

[Best Buy] LG 32" 60Hz 5ms IPS LED Monitor (32MP58HQ-P.AUS) - Black

SAVE $90

I was waiting for the Asus 32" monitor to go on sale for $299. I wonder if this is comparable.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
1726 posts
226 upvotes
Kind of wondering why not just spend the extra $100-150 and get a 4k monitor.
Not necessarily for LG which is showing for $599 at the same 32" size but for a HiSense or the other lower brand name ones?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4578 posts
1911 upvotes
Thought this was the 34" ultrawide for a split second~
:arrowd: FOR SALE: :arrowd:
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
1726 posts
226 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote: Thought this was the 34" ultrawide for a split second~
Oh.. you mean this one? :
https://www.staples.ca/en/LG-34UM59-B-3 ... CA_1_20001

I was actually talking about this one where you will get something better if just not the best brand to trust in:
https://www.staples.ca/en/Haier-32-720p ... CA_1_20001
Was going to pull the trigger on the 42" but it sold out while I was "thinking about it" an had in my cart. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1180 posts
917 upvotes
TORONTO
Price in title would be appreciated. Also, I don't think 1080p on a 32 inch would be very good.
Nov 26, 2015
344 posts
541 upvotes
Winnipeg
Slightly off topic but felt this was worth mentioning.

I had issues with this exact model monitor over two months ago where there was a red line going horizontal through the panel. I contacted LG and created a service request to get a replacement under warranty. I uploaded my receipt online and was told it would take a week for the request to get approved. This was in mid-August.

A week goes by and I call in to ask if the service request has been approved. The person on the phone says the request has still not been approved but it would be approved next Friday for sure. I wait until Friday and call again. The request has still not been approved. They tell me to keep waiting as they do not have an estimated time as to when it will get approved. I call again in a week and they tell me that the request has been approved. They gave me a reference number and told me to bring it to an authorized service centre to get it repaired.

I bring it to the service centre and they take it in. A day later they contact me and tell me that replacement parts for the monitor are not available. In this case, they had to have it shipped it directly to LG. They gave me the Puralator tracking number for the shipment to LG and told me that I would be getting a replacement directly to my door.

Two weeks goes by and I am wondering where my monitor is. I call in and LG tells me that the service request is still pending in their system. I would need to contact the service centre directly to get it approved. I contact the service centre, but they say that it is not their problem anymore. LG is the point of contact from now on. I call LG again and a different representative picks up. He tells me that they cannot find my request in their system. This is odd, because they last person was able to find my request just fine. He says does not know what is going on so I should just call back later. I call back the next day and a different representative picks up. He find my request and says that my request has been approved, but they have not shipped the replacement yet. They will ship it out ASAP.

I call a week later and am still wondering where the monitor is. After going through the introduction (name, phone number, etc) the LG representative tells me I have been directed to the wrong department, and he will transfer me to the right department in a moment. I get transferred, and again I am in the wrong department. Once again, for a third time, after being transferred I am told I am contacting the wrong department. Finally I get transferred to the right department and I ask them what is going on. The representative says that the request has not been approved as the service centre has not deemed the product "unrepairable". I said the last person told me that they literally have written documentation in their system from the service centre saying it was unrepairable. Also, the person last time told me that the request has been approved. After putting me on hold for half an hour, he apologized and said he made a mistake. The request had actually been approved. I should be receiving the monitor next Friday by the latest.

I call again on Friday and *surprise* they tell me that the request has not been approved. They say the issue is that they have still not received the monitor that the service centre sent them. I gave them the Puralator tracking number demonstrated that it was received and signed by a member of their department on September 12th. They apologized and mentioned that I should be receiving a replacement monitor the next Friday.

It is now next Friday. I use live chat this time because i'm all out of minutes on my cell phone from calling LG. A representative answers the chat and I ask were the monitor is. The person on the phone look up my request and and tells me that the monitor has been shipped and he will put me on a brief hold in order to give me the tracking number. I am overjoyed at this point as I think I'm going to be finally receiving my monitor. He gives me the tracking number. I look it up and.... its the tracking number for the monitor going to THEM. I am furious at this point and I ask to chat with a manager. The guy says that chatting with a manager is not possible but I can call the LG hotline and ask to speak to a manager.

I use Google hangouts to call the LG hotline. A representative picks up and I immediately ask to speak to a manager. He tells me that the manager is too busy to talk. I ask if he can please write my phone number down and send it to the manager so he can call me as soon as he can. He says it is not possible. I ask where my monitor is. He looks into the service request and says that it has been approved. According to him, they didn't have my monitor in stock so they ordered another one using economy shipping from South Korea last Friday. I should get it in 4-8 weeks.

At this point I have no idea what to do. I am out of a $300 monitor and I am sick and tired of calling LG about this issue. I don't know if I should just give up and call it a lesson learned.
Last edited by Mok122cobra on Oct 21st, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Oct 5, 2012
141 posts
47 upvotes
BC
TheRock2012 wrote: Oh.. you mean this one? :
https://www.staples.ca/en/LG-34UM59-B-3 ... CA_1_20001

I was actually talking about this one where you will get something better if just not the best brand to trust in:
https://www.staples.ca/en/Haier-32-720p ... CA_1_20001
Was going to pull the trigger on the 42" but it sold out while I was "thinking about it" an had in my cart. :)
hansdoreen wrote: Price in title would be appreciated. Also, I don't think 1080p on a 32 inch would be very good.
1080p on the first monitor is okay in the sense that it's not actually 1920 x 1080. By extending the resolution to 2560 x 1080 it becomes a "true ultrawide" in that whatever you're viewing isn't going to look like someone stretched the picture so that it fits all 4 corners of your screen. This is actually why the 42' in the latter link of TheRock2012's post wouldn't be a good choice. But then you're comparing TV to monitor .. which are two different species. Without taking your head out for a spin in the blender, I can say that the 42'' will probably look disappointing to you being that the resolution is only 720p. I also really wouldn't recommend using a TV for a monitor due to the per pixel size. But image quality is subject to personal opinion. So I'll leave it at that.

Edit:
Mok122cobra wrote: Slightly off topic but felt this was worth mentioning.

I had issues with this exact model monitor over two months ago where there was a red line going horizontal through the panel. Contacted LG and shipped the monitor to them with priority shipping in order to get replacement under warranty. Two and a half months gone bye and 8 phone calls later and no answer from them as to when I will get my replacement monitor. I called this morning and said that they received my monitor last Friday (completely false, it was marked signed for and received on Sept 12th) but they didn't have my monitor in stock so they ordered another one using economy shipping from south Korea and I would get it in 2-3 months. I asked to speak to a manager and they said the manager was too busy to talk.
That's odd.. why are they shipping from south Korea? I owned a G5 phone with faulty GPS that was sent to their depot in Ontario for repairs and they promptly replaced the mainboard in the phone and shipped it back (yeah .. avoid the g5 like all hell.) I would think that north american products are subject to warranty services from depots located within Canada. The logistics behind this makes zero sense for both consumer and manufacturer....or am I missing something? Neutral Face

Edit2: I don't work for them or care after a sour experience with the G5 phone (because it broke well within a year), but did you contact them through their Canadian support?

Link: http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support
Nov 26, 2015
344 posts
541 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yeah I updated my post with more details. I contacted them through the Canadian support. This is been a draining experience to say the least.
Mar 1, 2011
285 posts
569 upvotes
Fraser Valley
The Asus 31.5" at BB goes on sale for $299 frequently. The resolution of 2560x1440 is less than 4K but is the perfect size for me. Can't beat the value at $299. I have tried the 28" 4K but just too small for my eyes but the graphics are looks nice. Best to compare side by side at BB.
Oct 5, 2012
141 posts
47 upvotes
BC
Mok122cobra wrote: Yeah I updated my post with more details. I contacted them through the Canadian support. This is been a draining experience to say the least.
Ouch. I feel your pain bud. This is like 10000x different from my G5 warranty experience. I think just for this sort of grief alone, it'd be worth it to stick to retailer warrantys despite the cost. I hope that things work out for you in the end.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16868 posts
6082 upvotes
Mok122cobra wrote: Slightly off topic but felt this was worth mentioning.

I had issues with this exact model monitor over two months ago where there was a red line going horizontal through the panel. I contacted LG and created a service request to get a replacement under warranty. I uploaded my receipt online and was told it would take a week for the request to get approved. This was in mid-August.

A week goes by and I call in to ask if the service request has been approved. The person on the phone says the request has still not been approved but it would be approved next Friday for sure. I wait until Friday and call again. The request has still not been approved. They tell me to keep waiting as they do not have an estimated time as to when it will get approved. I call again in a week and they tell me that the request has been approved. They gave me a reference number and told me to bring it to an authorized service centre to get it repaired.

I bring it to the service centre and they take it in. A day later they contact me and tell me that replacement parts for the monitor are not available. In this case, they had to have it shipped it directly to LG. They gave me the Puralator tracking number for the shipment to LG and told me that I would be getting a replacement directly to my door.

Two weeks goes by and I am wondering where my monitor is. I call in and LG tells me that the service request is still pending in their system. I would need to contact the service centre directly to get it approved. I contact the service centre, but they say that it is not their problem anymore. LG is the point of contact from now on. I call LG again and a different representative picks up. He tells me that they cannot find my request in their system. This is odd, because they last person was able to find my request just fine. He says does not know what is going on so I should just call back later. I call back the next day and a different representative picks up. He find my request and says that my request has been approved, but they have not shipped the replacement yet. They will ship it out ASAP.

I call a week later and am still wondering where the monitor is. After going through the introduction (name, phone number, etc) the LG representative tells me I have been directed to the wrong department, and he will transfer me to the right department in a moment. I get transferred, and again I am in the wrong department. Once again, for a third time, after being transferred I am told I am contacting the wrong department. Finally I get transferred to the right department and I ask them what is going on. The representative says that the request has not been approved as the service centre has not deemed the product "unrepairable". I said the last person told me that they literally have written documentation in their system from the service centre saying it was unrepairable. Also, the person last time told me that the request has been approved. After putting me on hold for half an hour, he apologized and said he made a mistake. The request had actually been approved. I should be receiving the monitor next Friday by the latest.

I call again on Friday and *surprise* they tell me that the request has not been approved. They say the issue is that they have still not received the monitor that the service centre sent them. I gave them the Puralator tracking number demonstrated that it was received and signed by a member of their department on September 12th. They apologized and mentioned that I should be receiving a replacement monitor the next Friday.

It is now next Friday. I use live chat this time because i'm all out of minutes on my cell phone from calling LG. A representative answers the chat and I ask were the monitor is. The person on the phone look up my request and and tells me that the monitor has been shipped and he will put me on a brief hold in order to give me the tracking number. I am overjoyed at this point as I think I'm going to be finally receiving my monitor. He gives me the tracking number. I look it up and.... its the tracking number for the monitor going to THEM. I am furious at this point and I ask to chat with a manager. The guy says that chatting with a manager is not possible but I can call the LG hotline and ask to speak to a manager.

I use Google hangouts to call the LG hotline. A representative picks up and I immediately ask to speak to a manager. He tells me that the manager is too busy to talk. I ask if he can please write my phone number down and send it to the manager so he can call me as soon as he can. He says it is not possible. I ask where my monitor is. He looks into the service request and says that it has been approved. According to him, they didn't have my monitor in stock so they ordered another one using economy shipping from South Korea last Friday. I should get it in 4-8 weeks.

At this point I have no idea what to do. I am out of a $300 monitor and I am sick and tired of calling LG about this issue. I don't know if I should just give up and call it a lesson learned.
Aye carumba :facepalm:
If you bought with your credit card perhaps call them and get a chargeback?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2709 posts
536 upvotes
Honestly I dont know who this monitor is for. 32" @ 1080p is not very nice when there is nicer 1440p monitors available.

I know my current monitor isnt a 32" But 299 they had Lenovo 27" 2560x1440p displays. with 99% rgb.

Im using one, was 346 tax in

Would suggest buying one of these,

Or finding the 24" 2560x1440[ varient for 199 tax in.

If you need 32" asus had a 2560x1440p at bestbuy the other week for 299. That would even be better.
Mar 2, 2011
389 posts
195 upvotes
West
I got this monitor on Friday. Hmm should I return? I don't know much about computers but just got it cause the price seemed good.
[OP]
Oct 28, 2005
481 posts
397 upvotes
westnylefx wrote: If you need 32" asus had a 2560x1440p at bestbuy the other week for 299. That would even be better.
The other week??? Ahhhhhh I missed it again! :facepalm:

Which week was it? Maybe I can call and ask if I can get it at the sale price?
[OP]
Oct 28, 2005
481 posts
397 upvotes
lil_dreams wrote: I got this monitor on Friday. Hmm should I return? I don't know much about computers but just got it cause the price seemed good.
Yes I would. The Asus VA32AQ at 299 is a much better deal. You just have to wait for the sale price. Should be soon.