Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] LG Gram 17" Laptop -Obsidian Black (Intel Evo Core i7-1165G7/1TB SSD/16GB RAM) -Eng $1899+tax

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2021 1:09 pm
[OP]
Jun 10, 2003
751 posts
355 upvotes

[Best Buy] LG Gram 17" Laptop -Obsidian Black (Intel Evo Core i7-1165G7/1TB SSD/16GB RAM) -Eng $1899+tax

One of the best rated "portable" laptops with a weight under 3lbs! 17" screen.
Costco sells the i5 with 512GB for $100 less so for $100 more you get the i7 and 1TB SSD.

Review of the 17" here.

Nice overview here of the changes for 2021.

2.8GHz Intel Evo Core i7-1165G7 quad-core processor with 16GB of LPDDR4X 4266MHz RAM powers through your everyday computing tasks smoothly and efficiently
Intel Evo platform provides advanced features and benefits such as enhanced responsiveness, fast charging, long-lasting battery, Wi-Fi 6, and more
1TB solid state drive (SSD) offers plentiful storage for videos, photos, files, and more
17" WQXGA display at 2560 x 1600 resolution has double the resolution of Full HD, making it ideal for viewing spreadsheets, watching movies, and more
Four-way slim bezel screen with 16:10 aspect ratio gives you more immersion than ever before
Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) and Bluetooth 5.1 let you connect to high-speed wireless networks and compatible wireless devices for internet, file sharing, audio streaming, and so much more
Two-cell 80Wh lithium-ion battery can hold enough charge to power your laptop for up to 19.5 hours
Ultra-thin and lightweight construction is travel-friendly and highly portable
Two USB 4.0 Gen 3 Type-C ports, a USB 3.2 Gen 2 port, a microSD card reader, an HDMI port, and a headphone jack let you plug in external media, peripherals, secondary displays, headphones, and more
Thunderbolt 4 port lets you connect dual 4K or a single 8K display, and allows 100W PC charging with next-gen interface support and compatibility with USB 4
Built-in webcam lets you participate in video calls, shoot photos and videos, and more
Compatibility with Amazon Alexa gives you the power of voice controls
Backlit keyboard is intended for a comfortable posture that makes typing as comfortable as possible
Preinstalled with bilingual 64-bit Windows 10 Home operating system that features improved security and boosted performance
23 replies
Feb 1, 2017
397 posts
601 upvotes
Get ready for lots of hate because people here don't like ultrabooks, its either gaming or its a bad deal... Honestly, I dunno about this one, unless you reaally need a big screen there are some cheaper options. Why would you want an ultraportable that's this big?

For a tad cheaper one could get an Asus zenbook with oled display for example. Not for everyone, but much easier to stuff in a bag, and also looks fantastic.

I'm genuinely curious what use case someone has for 17inch displays on a laptop you won't be gaming on.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
2386 posts
1487 upvotes
ryokoseigo wrote: Get ready for lots of hate because people here don't like ultrabooks, its either gaming or its a bad deal... Honestly, I dunno about this one, unless you reaally need a big screen there are some cheaper options. Why would you want an ultraportable that's this big?

For a tad cheaper one could get an Asus zenbook with oled display for example. Not for everyone, but much easier to stuff in a bag, and also looks fantastic.

I'm genuinely curious what use case someone has for 17inch displays on a laptop you won't be gaming on.
If you look up previous threads, the Costco one for $1399.99 was well-received. So $500 more for i7 and double storage isn't worth it IMO.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3572 posts
1678 upvotes
Ottawa
I had last years. I returned it as the keyboard had weird key placement. It was a great laptop otherwise. The screen real estate was awesome.

I am strongly considering this year's as they sorta fixed the keys. I tried it at Costco in person.

Good battery life, decent screen. The vast majority of people use laptops for non gaming purposes. This works very well for that.

It's very light, and feels sturdy. I'd recommend it.

I normally buy Lenovo. I rather they made a ultralight 17in, but they don't. Closest is a 15.6in.
Dec 22, 2010
398 posts
160 upvotes
Ontario
ryokoseigo wrote: Why would you want an ultraportable that's this big?
Because portable laptops have smaller screens like 13" and 14" and those aren't big enough for some.
Jul 2, 2014
63 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm pretty sure that I saw it at costco this week (i5, 512G) for $1399, so if you are interested, you might want to check instore at costco.
(I'm not downvoting as this is a pretty decent ultrabook)
Sep 23, 2014
657 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm using the last gen Gram and have no complaint, got it on sale for $710 from Costco. The screen is bright and color accurate, 16:10 ratio is great for workbooks and media consunption. Battery is also pretty good, can easily last me an 8 hrs work day.
The only downside of this laptop is it's horrible thermal, idling hit 70C to even 99C, so throttling happens pretty frequent. But for the price I'm willing to live with that.
Last edited by LockAndKey on Jun 17th, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jun 10, 2003
751 posts
355 upvotes
ryokoseigo wrote: Get ready for lots of hate because people here don't like ultrabooks, its either gaming or its a bad deal... Honestly, I dunno about this one, unless you reaally need a big screen there are some cheaper options. Why would you want an ultraportable that's this big?

I definitely appreciate what you are mentioning.
I think a few of the perks for me are:
Full keyboard with number pad (for a variety of personal reasons)
Much better keyboard
Portability without compromising on screen size is important as I do work related software that benefits from the extra space but the laptop is still less than 3lbs
I don’t game on my laptops
I worry about OLED burn in/burn out. I have 3 65” OLEDs and my desktop display is a 55” CX. I move windows around frequently on my display but can’t see myself doing that on my laptop.

I do agree it has been a hard choice. I even debated waiting for the new MacBook Pro 16” but I anticipate for my usage I can’t justify the price.
May 22, 2015
291 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto, ON
velo2k wrote: I'm pretty sure that I saw it at costco this week (i5, 512G) for $1399, so if you are interested, you might want to check instore at costco.
(I'm not downvoting as this is a pretty decent ultrabook)
I think they ended up extending the instore sale price since ON was only selling essential items at the time. Online price is without discount.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1722 posts
1604 upvotes
Pretty sure Costco almost always has the LG for $1399.99 -- that said, yes either are a good deal to a degree, that said -- I REALLY WISH someone in Canada would be bringing in the 14" model and putting it on sale!!!!
Feb 28, 2019
70 posts
83 upvotes
I bought the 17" i5 16gb/512gb variant from Costco Warehouse 2 days ago. It was on sale for $1399 and I believe the sale is on till June 21st. Warehouse deal only. Amazing laptop. Just don't like one thing. You will see a gap around the trackpad. The gap is enough to see the internals of the laptop. I thought it was a manufacturing defect so I exchanged it like 3 times and the gaps are still there. but it seems like it's just a design issue. It was either on the left or right or bottom or top. Varies. You will only see it if you're directly under a light source or if you flash a light on the trackpad. Annoying, but I can live with that. Wouldn't pay full price for this laptop but worth it for $1399. That being said, that Dell inspiron 17 2 in 1 is also on a good deal for $1399. i7/nvidia mx250/350 (not sure) / 16gb ram / 512gb ssd. Someone posted it. Not sure how good the battery life is and also its a silver keyboard which can be a deal breaker for some. Can't see the letters even with the backlit or lights on.
Oct 20, 2019
86 posts
68 upvotes
danomed wrote: One of the best rated "portable" laptops with a weight under 3lbs! 17" screen.
Costco sells the i5 with 512GB for $100 less so for $100 more you get the i7 and 1TB SSD.

Review of the 17" here.

Nice overview here of the changes for 2021.

2.8GHz Intel Evo Core i7-1165G7 quad-core processor with 16GB of LPDDR4X 4266MHz RAM powers through your everyday computing tasks smoothly and efficiently
Intel Evo platform provides advanced features and benefits such as enhanced responsiveness, fast charging, long-lasting battery, Wi-Fi 6, and more
1TB solid state drive (SSD) offers plentiful storage for videos, photos, files, and more
17" WQXGA display at 2560 x 1600 resolution has double the resolution of Full HD, making it ideal for viewing spreadsheets, watching movies, and more
Four-way slim bezel screen with 16:10 aspect ratio gives you more immersion than ever before
Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) and Bluetooth 5.1 let you connect to high-speed wireless networks and compatible wireless devices for internet, file sharing, audio streaming, and so much more
Two-cell 80Wh lithium-ion battery can hold enough charge to power your laptop for up to 19.5 hours
Ultra-thin and lightweight construction is travel-friendly and highly portable
Two USB 4.0 Gen 3 Type-C ports, a USB 3.2 Gen 2 port, a microSD card reader, an HDMI port, and a headphone jack let you plug in external media, peripherals, secondary displays, headphones, and more
Thunderbolt 4 port lets you connect dual 4K or a single 8K display, and allows 100W PC charging with next-gen interface support and compatibility with USB 4
Built-in webcam lets you participate in video calls, shoot photos and videos, and more
Compatibility with Amazon Alexa gives you the power of voice controls
Backlit keyboard is intended for a comfortable posture that makes typing as comfortable as possible
Preinstalled with bilingual 64-bit Windows 10 Home operating system that features improved security and boosted performance
Nice specs on the laptop, but price is a bit too high at over $2000 with tax included. Would probably go with the Dell XPS which when on sale is at a better price.
Nov 24, 2018
657 posts
708 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
Ridiculous,
Same LG Gram, 17inch current gen, refurbished, but like new here:
1399$
https://refurbished.ca/shop/en/computer ... -i7-1165g7
OR
You can get the last gen LG Gram 17 inch here in Quebec selling at 1199.
https://refurbished.ca/shop/en/computer ... b-ssd-2906
===========
Zoomer 22.5$ unlimited calls/ text + Fido 5$ 4GB; Dual sim P30 Lite.
On Waitlist for QC coverage for Freedom mobile 99$/yr.
May 30, 2021
23 posts
20 upvotes
Comparison with 14" version of this gram with 13" Macbook air M1 here:

Turns out, MBA is more than two times faster than the gram. Yet, a refurbished M1 is just $1099 (nearly half the price) here:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/F ... e-gpu-gold
Even a brand new MBA is cheaper than the refurbished gram...

If 13" is small, then getting a 28" 4K Samsung for $249 (posted in this forum) on top of MBA is still a cheaper (and better imo) solution.

If a bigger screen with windows is required, I believe there are more reasonably priced options out there.
Paying double the price to get half of the performance just does not feel right.
May 31, 2007
183 posts
1 upvote
aviador wrote: Yup. It's featured in cocoeast (item 9931517):

" 9931517 LG GRAM 17″ LAPTOP COMPUTER ENGLISH KEYBOARD ($400.00 INSTANT SAVINGS EXPIRES ON 2021-06-21) $1399.99"

https://www.costco.ca/lg-gram-17-17z90p ... 42296.html
Mind telling me where you saw that the savings expires on 6/21? I missed the deal - went into the Costco on Gov't street in Burnaby on Monday 6/14 and I only see it for 1799.99. If it's still on sale somewhere I'd like to get it.
Feb 20, 2012
529 posts
359 upvotes
KITCHENER
deryowski wrote: Comparison with 14" version of this gram with 13" Macbook air M1 here:

Turns out, MBA is more than two times faster than the gram. Yet, a refurbished M1 is just $1099 (nearly half the price) here:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/F ... e-gpu-gold
Even a brand new MBA is cheaper than the refurbished gram...

If 13" is small, then getting a 28" 4K Samsung for $249 (posted in this forum) on top of MBA is still a cheaper (and better imo) solution.

If a bigger screen with windows is required, I believe there are more reasonably priced options out there.
Paying double the price to get half of the performance just does not feel right.
You see the 17" in the title, right?

No one is comparing 13.3" laptops.
Jun 17, 2021
1 posts
1 upvote
I bought the 16" version about 2 months ago, it has been great so far for me, battery life is fantastic and I really like the keyboard.
May 30, 2021
23 posts
20 upvotes
Unraveller wrote: You see the 17" in the title, right?

No one is comparing 13.3" laptops.
You see that I wrote 14" version of this laptop, right?

17" is the same laptop with the bigger screen. The comparison gives the idea of what you get for paying $2000.
Nov 27, 2014
97 posts
21 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
If it didn't have that mirror like glossy screen, I'd be interested. Come on LG, make at least one of them with a matte screen please.