• May 8th, 2021 6:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3501 posts
1566 upvotes
Vancouver

[Best Buy] LG SN8YG 3.1.2 Soundbar $499.95

I've been researching mid-range soundbars for my livingroom setup and came across this LG (2020 model).

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg ... r/14519572

Specific features I was looking for:
- centre speaker for dialogue
- upfiring speakers
- single soundbar with wireless subwoofer; did not want satellite speakers
- Dolby Atmos / DTS:X
- eARC

It doesn't show-up on any 'best' lists, but feature-wise it checked all the boxes for me, it got decent reviews, and the sale price is quite good (I think it hit this price at BF).

Best Buy also has the Samsung HW-Q70T at the same price: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... r/14473604

These two seem to be the most compared and fall into the same competitive set (along with the Sony HT-G700, but it's not as highly rated as the other two). Here's a head-to-head from RTINGS:

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/tools/c ... shold=0.10

Interestingly, the LG rates higher on every individual category, but the Samsung edges out on overall. Go figure. What leaned me to LG, though, were three items missing on the Samsung:
- USB for audio files
- Room correction (self-calibrating with microphone)
- Auto volume (levels out volume between sources, like when commercials are louder than the programme)

Overall, I think this is a nice balance if you're stepping up from the low-end soundbars but have no interest in paying $1000+ for the higher-end soundbars.
Thread Summary
If you're in the market for new speakers, take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best sound bars!
10 replies
May 22, 2016
650 posts
762 upvotes
Did you look at the reviews? Not sure if want to deal with sound cutting out...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3501 posts
1566 upvotes
Vancouver
SS76SS wrote: Did you look at the reviews? Not sure if want to deal with sound cutting out...
Yes I did. I didn't see that too much on the reviews I read; I actually saw that more for the Sony. Negatives were that it was a bit bass heavy. Another said voices were muffled, though I'm not entirely sure how that's possible with a centre channel (other reviews said it was good). I try to read across reviews for consistent issues.

Did cutouts popup consistently in the reviews you read?
May 22, 2016
650 posts
762 upvotes
To be fair I've only read the ones on the link you provided, and there are only a few, but of the few a couple had this issue. Small sample, but not a good sign

I'm in the market, but I think it's worth springing for the sonos arc, I'm waiting for a sale. I'm not u happy with my sony x950h speakers actually, but as my main TV I think it deserves proper sound.

Anyways, that's just me, it is double the price of this so perhaps worth a try.
Bishop8 wrote: Yes I did. I didn't see that too much on the reviews I read; I actually saw that more for the Sony. Negatives were that it was a bit bass heavy. Another said voices were muffled, though I'm not entirely sure how that's possible with a centre channel (other reviews said it was good). I try to read across reviews for consistent issues.

Did cutouts popup consistently in the reviews you read?
May 10, 2010
647 posts
964 upvotes
London
I have this soundbar. The audio quality is very good and the Dolby Atmos works very well (in my fairly small apartment living room). As some of the reviews have mentioned, the sub will cut out if you have a wifi network running on 5Ghz within the "path" of the soundbar and the sub. I've pretty much had to hardwire my entire apartment to the best that I can so that I can have my high speed network and still use my sub. Essentially, the 5Ghz band interferes with the 5Ghz band that the soundbar outputs. This causes it to disconnect. It's extremely annoying.

But with everything connected and working, it's a great sounding soundbar.

I've managed to find a setup that works well and causes minimal subwoofer disconnects. But my BIGGEST issue with the speaker is it's Google Assistant. There's no way to turn it off completely, in fact you need to set up GA when you connect the speaker, otherwise it'll always show up and anyone within range can set it up on their account (thinking neighbours in an adjacent apartment). You can mute the mic so it doesn't respond to "Hey Google" but regardless of if it's the active google speaker, whenever your google home goes off, the sound to the main speaker cuts out. So there's been a few time when we've been watching a movie, or a show and my google home sets off because of what we're watching. So then for the next 5-10 seconds, there's no audio from the soundbar because google is listening.

I wish there were a way to completely disable GA in the soundbar, but in all of my research, there isn't
Nov 22, 2018
130 posts
124 upvotes
Brampton, On
I have the previous year's version which is pretty much an identical carryover less eARC.

I've had it for close to 2 years, no complaints, no dropouts, sounds great.
Dec 5, 2016
406 posts
589 upvotes
poopdedoop wrote: I have this soundbar. The audio quality is very good and the Dolby Atmos works very well (in my fairly small apartment living room). As some of the reviews have mentioned, the sub will cut out if you have a wifi network running on 5Ghz within the "path" of the soundbar and the sub. I've pretty much had to hardwire my entire apartment to the best that I can so that I can have my high speed network and still use my sub. Essentially, the 5Ghz band interferes with the 5Ghz band that the soundbar outputs. This causes it to disconnect. It's extremely annoying.

I've managed to find a setup that works well and causes minimal subwoofer disconnects. But my BIGGEST issue with the speaker is it's Google Assistant. There's no way to turn it off completely, in fact you need to set up GA when you connect the speaker, otherwise it'll always show up and anyone within range can set it up on their account (thinking neighbours in an adjacent apartment). You can mute the mic so it doesn't respond to "Hey Google" but regardless of if it's the active google speaker, whenever your google home goes off, the sound to the main speaker cuts out. So there's been a few time when we've been watching a movie, or a show and my google home sets off because of what we're watching. So then for the next 5-10 seconds, there's no audio from the soundbar because google is listening.

I wish there were a way to completely disable GA in the soundbar, but in all of my research, there isn't
Thanks for sharing, that sounds annoying, I'm not sure why GA needs to be integrated directly in to the soundbar. I have a vizio soundbar that is just a google cast speaker and that's great. Controlling it with a nest mini is more ideal I think.
May 10, 2010
647 posts
964 upvotes
London
TouchMyBox wrote: Thanks for sharing, that sounds annoying, I'm not sure why GA needs to be integrated directly in to the soundbar. I have a vizio soundbar that is just a google cast speaker and that's great. Controlling it with a nest mini is more ideal I think.
That's kind of what I was just hoping I'd be able to do. Cast to it. (which I can do) but having it as an active GH speaker is annoying.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3501 posts
1566 upvotes
Vancouver
poopdedoop wrote: I have this soundbar. The audio quality is very good and the Dolby Atmos works very well (in my fairly small apartment living room). As some of the reviews have mentioned, the sub will cut out if you have a wifi network running on 5Ghz within the "path" of the soundbar and the sub. I've pretty much had to hardwire my entire apartment to the best that I can so that I can have my high speed network and still use my sub. Essentially, the 5Ghz band interferes with the 5Ghz band that the soundbar outputs. This causes it to disconnect. It's extremely annoying.

Thanks very much for these comments, very helpful and helps identify things to watch-out for. I don't use any assistants so that'd be really annoying.

For the subwoofer issue, do you need line of sight? Does the cutout get worse the further apart they are?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3501 posts
1566 upvotes
Vancouver
SS76SS wrote: To be fair I've only read the ones on the link you provided, and there are only a few, but of the few a couple had this issue. Small sample, but not a good sign

I'm in the market, but I think it's worth springing for the sonos arc, I'm waiting for a sale. I'm not u happy with my sony x950h speakers actually, but as my main TV I think it deserves proper sound.

Anyways, that's just me, it is double the price of this so perhaps worth a try.
It'd definitely be nice, but it's a complete different class. Besides, I don't think Sonos really goes on sale much (kind of Apple-like). You might see some certified refurbs in a year or so?

This isn't our main TV setup so it doesn't have to be the end-all, be-all for me. Sometimes we just don't want to go downstairs to the HT room to watch a movie, so it'd still be nice to have something half-way decent in the livingroom.
May 10, 2010
647 posts
964 upvotes
London
Bishop8 wrote: Thanks very much for these comments, very helpful and helps identify things to watch-out for. I don't use any assistants so that'd be really annoying.

For the subwoofer issue, do you need line of sight? Does the cutout get worse the further apart they are?
It shouldn't need line of sight because it's connected wirelessly. I have a fairly small livingroom in my apartment, so it's only about 6 or 7 ft away. And still will cut out from time to time. Mind you, my router is fairly close to the sub also.