Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard $100

[OP]
Nov 1, 2008
659 posts
443 upvotes
Canada

[Best Buy] Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard $100

Best Buy has Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum on sale for $99.99.
Don't forget the 2% cash back from eBates

Just bought it on sale at $119.99 yesterday and noticed it went down even more today. So it's $113 Tax in. Seems like a good deal for a keyboard that has all the bells and whistles. Picked up the Logitech G513 linear from Staples for $118 Tax in and can't decide between the 2.
==================================================
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8339 posts
3030 upvotes
Toronto
The key shape is weird on these IIRC.

I stand corrected.
Last edited by Variability on Dec 6th, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 6, 2014
78 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Variability wrote: The key shape is weird on these IIRC.
That's the Orion Spark, this is the Orion Spectrum which has normal keys.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2785 posts
995 upvotes
I wish they'd make a proper ergonomic mechanical keyboard that was reasonably priced and toss the design of these awful archaic wrist wreckers out the window.
Apr 13, 2010
201 posts
325 upvotes
Ergonomic keyboards are overrated, I think. If you're feeling discomfort, it's most likely tense muscles in your wrist that you can learn to relax while typing. If normal keyboards really wrecked wrists, they would probably be much less popular. Case in point: pianos. Giant wrist wrecking keyboards that people somehow master without destroying their wrists. Yes, some do, but it's clearly preventable. Same with pro gamers: if ergonomic designs were necessary, surely we would see them in gaming keyboards.

Regarding this keyboard, though, I really want one, but it seems like this and other Romer-G based boards have some double-stroke problem that often kicks in after the warranty has expired, and Logitech haven't been standing by their product. There's even a review complaining about it on the linked page for this deal.

So I hope we see some deals on good gaming keyboards with RGB lighting, media keys, and real Cherry MX switches. Santa, if you're listening, I like Brown, Red, or Silver, but not Blue.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3350 posts
1420 upvotes
Vancouver
I got the 810 for my son during that crazy Staples clearance this past summer and I have to say I enjoy the feel of this Romer-G keyboard. It's got a soft, yet solid feel to the keystrokes (kind of like a good soft close drawer). I don't know about this double-stroke issue, so fingers-crossed I don't have to deal with it any time soon.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2785 posts
995 upvotes
S1 wrote: Ergonomic keyboards are overrated, I think. If you're feeling discomfort, it's most likely tense muscles in your wrist that you can learn to relax while typing. If normal keyboards really wrecked wrists, they would probably be much less popular. Case in point: pianos. Giant wrist wrecking keyboards that people somehow master without destroying their wrists. Yes, some do, but it's clearly preventable. Same with pro gamers: if ergonomic designs were necessary, surely we would see them in gaming keyboards.
Oh boy... ergonomic isn't something like crystal healing, it's a real thing, you might even say it's a science.

A quick google shows that Pianists do get CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) and it's an issue among them, they have exercises and other things which try to slow down or avert the worst parts of it.

It's great if you don't suffer from any CTS symptoms right now, give yourself 10+ years using a normal keyboard.

Doing a few wrist exercises in between hours of any keyboard use isn't going to hurt anyone, and might actually help in the long run.

You also need proper seating and positioning besides the ergonomic keyboard.

There are keyboards that abuse the word "ergonomic" and that's not great, but there are many that are legitimately beneficial.

From a reputable site:
"Hand and wrist position. Doing activities that involve extreme flexion or extension of the hand and wrist for a prolonged period of time can increase pressure on the nerve."
Proper ergonomic keyboards put your wrists in a more natural relaxed position.

Old keyboards were made the way they were because of the legacy of the typewriter, and they're cheaper to make because they don't require as much R&D, they're easy to make, that's why they're still made, stick some lights on them, spend a dime on making a mechanical switch, put a cool name on it, sell it for 3-4 times it's actual value.

Don't kid yourself and think you're invincible to CTS. The other cool thing about CTS is when you get it, and you get the surgery people will wonder if you've tried to go up the train tracks and then maybe judge you on that, also it's not a fun surgery from what I've heard.

Here's a pro(ergonomic) tip that might help you out, despite what wall manufactures do and make keyboards tilt in the back(part facing the monitor), they really should tilt in the front(part facing you).

Ergonomics isn't cool or fun, but you should take the time and little bit of money to setup your desk or work/play area and it will save you from many other issues that can stem from bad ergonomics.
Aug 12, 2018
237 posts
74 upvotes
ph00p wrote: Oh boy... ergonomic isn't something like crystal healing, it's a real thing, you might even say it's a science.

A quick google shows that Pianists do get CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) and it's an issue among them, they have exercises and other things which try to slow down or avert the worst parts of it.

It's great if you don't suffer from any CTS symptoms right now, give yourself 10+ years using a normal keyboard.

Doing a few wrist exercises in between hours of any keyboard use isn't going to hurt anyone, and might actually help in the long run.

You also need proper seating and positioning besides the ergonomic keyboard.

There are keyboards that abuse the word "ergonomic" and that's not great, but there are many that are legitimately beneficial.

From a reputable site:

Proper ergonomic keyboards put your wrists in a more natural relaxed position.

Old keyboards were made the way they were because of the legacy of the typewriter, and they're cheaper to make because they don't require as much R&D, they're easy to make, that's why they're still made, stick some lights on them, spend a dime on making a mechanical switch, put a cool name on it, sell it for 3-4 times it's actual value.

Don't kid yourself and think you're invincible to CTS. The other cool thing about CTS is when you get it, and you get the surgery people will wonder if you've tried to go up the train tracks and then maybe judge you on that, also it's not a fun surgery from what I've heard.

Here's a pro(ergonomic) tip that might help you out, despite what wall manufactures do and make keyboards tilt in the back(part facing the monitor), they really should tilt in the front(part facing you).

Ergonomics isn't cool or fun, but you should take the time and little bit of money to setup your desk or work/play area and it will save you from many other issues that can stem from bad ergonomics.
Can you recommend some mechanical and non-mechanical ergonomic mouses and keyboards?
Apr 13, 2010
201 posts
325 upvotes
To be clear, I don't mean to diminish the seriousness of CTS. I just don't think it's fair to heap all of the blame on keyboards. The most important thing, above all else, that I've heard from every possible source, is that one shouldn't ignore pain or discomfort for any length of time, and I've found that helpful. There have been a couple of rare occasions where I also have felt the need to use wrist exercises temporarily to alleviate some discomfort, so I totally agree there. I also agree about the tilt, keyboards are generally already at an angle where tilting forward is the opposite of good. I'm not sure what the point of those legs is, or whose idea they were.

I probably also agree that ergonomic keyboards are safer than normal ones, but I think it's dangerous to imply that plain keyboards are the main source of problems: you don't want to buy an ergonomic keyboard and then fail to address the actual root cause of the problem. If you switch to an ergonomic keyboard, but for whatever reason still habitually tense those muscles despite the more wrist-friendly positioning, I'd assume you'll probably still get an RSI.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3169 posts
1317 upvotes
Montreal
I got this keyboard for 15$ because of a price error back in July. Great keyboard.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2008
659 posts
443 upvotes
Canada
mikered14 wrote: Where you live.
I'm in Ontario so 13% Tax for me
==================================================
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3169 posts
1317 upvotes
Montreal
ReggieG48223 wrote: I grabbed this for $19.99 during the price error lol
Oh right it was 20 bucks. The Logitech pro webcam was 15$.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1101 posts
749 upvotes
ReggieG48223 wrote: I grabbed this for $19.99 during the price error lol
This here, got two. Didnt really like the board so I got rid of it.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2250 posts
1215 upvotes
well great now I cant buy it because it not ATL...

in all seriousness, Romer G are the lower end of mech switches, and this KB is massive when compared to most.

Coolermaster CK550 is going to be a better built KB, with Gateron Browns (good all around switch)

You lose the volume roller and macro switches, but end up with a better KB, just gotta figure out priorities

Above that your looking at something like a Ducky One 2...Thats what im shootin for, waiting for a solid deal