• Apr 27th, 2019 12:56 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2813 posts
768 upvotes
b31770 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 10:14 am
It's possibly your router.

Honestly, let a buddy borrow it for a few days. If they have no issues, then it's your router 100%.

If they have similar issues, then RMA the remote.

The remote should never lock up or require a reboot. Period.
It's not my router. I'm very technical and I know what I'm doing but I do appreciate the suggestion. It's definitely the hub itself not the remote. Since I bought the hub with the remote about two or three years ago, there's no way they'd RMA it.

Lots of people have had the issue in describing. Just Google it.
razrsharp wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 11:02 am
I had the exact same experience, until I decided to move my router from 2nd floor in my home to the family room - same room as the Hub. Since then it's been working 100% of the time. My hub is from 2014.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2813 posts
768 upvotes
txenglan wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 6:08 pm

It's not my router. I'm very technical and I know what I'm doing but I do appreciate the suggestion. It's definitely the hub itself not the remote. Since I bought the hub with the remote about two or three years ago, there's no way they'd RMA it.

Lots of people have had the issue in describing. Just Google it.
Any chance your hub used to be on Channel 11? My hub is only a few feet away from my ubiquiti ap. That said, the act of moving mine from upstairs to downstairs is what triggered this latest issue. This tells me that the hub is sensitive to the channel it's connected on and I seem to recall running into this over a year ago. It's actually been ok up until I moved the AP but again, I am 100% positive the hub is at fault. It acted this way right out of the box for me and continued this behavior throughout the time I deployed other APs. For the last year, it's been relatively trouble free and I just wanted to moved on and not think about it anymore.

Mine just started acting up again so this time instead of rebooting (which does work... Of only for a short time), I moved the AP to channel 1. Had the same effect. The hub is now responding acceptably.... For now...
Last edited by txenglan on Apr 22nd, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 7, 2004
275 posts
26 upvotes
I was gonna pick this up but hate that it only works on the 2.4ghz network...all my devices are on the 5ghz network. I'll probably just wait for an updated version when and if they release it
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4807 posts
737 upvotes
Montreal
All you are sending are remote control commands of a byte or 2 or 3. There's nothing that requires the faster speed of a 5 Ghz band and the extra range of 2.4 Ghz could be useful.
Phils
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1055 posts
891 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Phils wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 6:29 pm
All you are sending are remote control commands of a byte or 2 or 3. There's nothing that requires the faster speed of a 5 Ghz band and the extra range of 2.4 Ghz could be useful.
^ Exactly this. Most IoT devices use 2.4ghz since it's cheaper to implement and there is no benefit from going to 5Ghz. Keep in mind these are not high speed devices that need the bandwidth of 5Ghz. Plus you get better range with 2.4ghz anyways. The only concern is if you are in a saturated 2.4ghz area, but even then it should still work fine for something as low bandwidth as a remote control
Dec 30, 2012
935 posts
415 upvotes
Burlington
It should be noted that the price on amazon.ca has been dropping steadily since last november, and recently went as low as $70 according to camelx3.
Thus, you should be able to get it at this price or cheaper going forward, unless you want the newer version, which costs significantly more.
Dec 15, 2008
63 posts
45 upvotes
goozy1 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 6:36 pm

^ Exactly this. Most IoT devices use 2.4ghz since it's cheaper to implement and there is no benefit from going to 5Ghz. Keep in mind these are not high speed devices that need the bandwidth of 5Ghz. Plus you get better range with 2.4ghz anyways. The only concern is if you are in a saturated 2.4ghz area, but even then it should still work fine for something as low bandwidth as a remote control
If your kitchen is near the tv and you are using this, expect disconnects whenever the microwave is in use. My smart lights into be kitchen down respond either when it's on.
Last edited by TorontoR on Apr 22nd, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2813 posts
768 upvotes
cdniron wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 8:01 pm
Logitech will take returns way after warranty is expired. Since you are technical, log a ticket with them, do the troubleshooting, and see what happens. Quite often they will send you a brand new replacement.
I suppose that's worth a shot, thanks. I'll post back after I've gone through the process.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4004 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
nimz wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 6:22 pm
I was gonna pick this up but hate that it only works on the 2.4ghz network...all my devices are on the 5ghz network. I'll probably just wait for an updated version when and if they release it
That's silly. Not only is 2.4 Ghz way overkill for the bandwidth, but 2.4 Ghz has a MUCH larger range than 5 Ghz, even MIMO with beamforming doesn't seem to have the same range.

5 Ghz is for fast transfer speeds at close range. A remote doesn't benefit from 5 GHz in any way.
Nov 1, 2007
74 posts
11 upvotes
Can Harmony Hub be setup and controlled via browser (on local home network) say from Windows device, or is it exclusive access/control via Android / iPhone apps?
Sep 15, 2006
778 posts
226 upvotes
Can someone ELI5 what the hub does? Does it control all devices similar to a wink or smartthings hub?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2130 posts
285 upvotes
I am not that tech savvy but I will tell people my setup. I have a receiver, satellite, shield. I used to have 4 remotes (tv, shield, receiver, satellite). Now I use the logitech remote, I press 1 button on it, and it has a sequence. It first turns on my receiver, satellite, then tv, puts it to the right hdmi source. Then for the shield, I press another button on the logitech remote. It switches my receiver to another input, then turns off my sat, turns on the shield. I use the logitech remote instead of the shield remote. When you turn things off, it turns off all the items you want in an activity so I turn it off on the remote and all my things turn off together. It's unpaired once from my shield, so I am going to keep testing it. But so far it's been worth the money paid just to not have 4 massive remotes on my couch all the time.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2756 upvotes
engman13 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 8:53 am
Can someone ELI5 what the hub does? Does it control all devices similar to a wink or smartthings hub?
With a regular Harmony programmable remote, the remote has infrared output to devices (and bluetooth in the more expensive ones for those devices that support bluetooth input). All the Harmony remotes have three big advantages: easy internet programming, a huge database of device control codes, and a convenient "Activities" model that lets you combine control functions for different devices in one Activity layout (for example controlling the TV, a separate set-top box, and an AV amp in one common control layout).

The hub adds a WiFi network connection so that you can control it remotely using Google/Alexa and other smart home automation routines. For example you could tell Alexa "Cinema Mode", and it could turn down the lights and tell the hub to turn on the TV, and connect it to Netflix. While you can send commands from the hub to control other devices, it does not support Zigbee or Zwave like a SmartThings hub. (There is an optional accessory to add this, but it's too expensive, and the Harmony Hub isn't really the best choice to control all your smart home devices anyway.)

In addition to a built-in infrared emitter, the hub has a wired infrared extender that you can place inside a cabinet or at a better location for your devices to see it (optionally 2 extenders).

The hub comes with a small remote that's not as good as the regular Harmony remotes (no backlight, no LCD screen, fewer buttons), but it communicates wirelessly with the hub so you don't have to worry about line-of-sight.
May 16, 2007
958 posts
538 upvotes
Got mine yesterday from BestBuy and Amazon (saw it for $59.99 used). Returning the BestBuy one today.

Setup was easy, it took the setup from my Harmony One remote easily. Had to remove the tasks that use Bluray commands so it could pair with the devices correctly (that took some frustrating amount of time ugh). Once that was done - programmed the buttons on the remote and good to go.

Works great with my google home as well. Kids are excited and no more finding my remotes. No to find a proper place to put it.

Oh and agreed on the remote, the Harmony One is amazeballs, no backlight on this ugh.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2002 posts
1292 upvotes
devilsknight wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 10:32 am
Got mine yesterday from BestBuy and Amazon (saw it for $59.99 used). Returning the BestBuy one today.

Setup was easy, it took the setup from my Harmony One remote easily. Had to remove the tasks that use Bluray commands so it could pair with the devices correctly (that took some frustrating amount of time ugh). Once that was done - programmed the buttons on the remote and good to go.

Works great with my google home as well. Kids are excited and no more finding my remotes. No to find a proper place to put it.

Oh and agreed on the remote, the Harmony One is amazeballs, no backlight on this ugh.
how did you get it to work with google home? I tried linking it but it doesn't show up