• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2019 8:49 am
[OP]
Nov 23, 2011
36 posts
33 upvotes
WINNIPEG

[Best Buy] MacBook Air 13.3” 2018 Open Box $1,299.99 online only

Decent deal for anyone considering the new MacBook Air, considering they only came out a few months ago and that they seldom go on sale anywhere. It is only the 128gb model in space grey, but if you check the site periodically I’ve seen silver and gold both in stock, limited quantities though. I ordered one last Saturday at $1,399.99 and arrived on Wednesday, and managed to get a price adjustment done in store today. The one I received was mint, not a scratch on it, as if it was literally just opened and put back in so that may be the one variable considering it is open box. At this price only $100 more than the previous gen and definitely worth it.
37 replies
Dec 23, 2012
173 posts
456 upvotes
I strongly advise against purchasing this.

I have the pro-version (2018) of this device and the keyboard is absolutely appalling (poor keystroke feedback and it hurts when you strike keys) for long-term use (coding, writing, gaming), so much that I take out a $20 wireless keyboard for work.

Apple clearly chose thinness/aesthetics over ergonomics and UX.
Zoomer 4gb + 400min + ultd text $36/mo
Public Mobile $90/90 days 6GB + unltd pro talk + ultd text (Grandfathered)
*PENDING* Fido Winback $50/mo 15gb ultd talk/text
Jan 22, 2014
163 posts
118 upvotes
Guelph
If you are not a Mac super fan I do not recommend it.

I owned a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air for 5 years. Now I switched back to windows. They were fantastic at that time but now same price you can get much more from Windows laptops. By the way that generation of MacBook Air was only 1099 at that time and I got mine about 1000 tax in when there was a discuount. Can’t believe Apple products have been priced up for so much in these years (plus weak Canadian dollar). Any one remember at that time iPhone 5 was only 499 or 599?
Dec 23, 2012
173 posts
456 upvotes
hnxy99 wrote: If you are not a Mac super fan I do not recommend it.

I owned a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air for 5 years. Now I switched back to windows. They were fantastic at that time but now same price you can get much more from Windows laptops. By the way that generation of MacBook Air was only 1099 at that time and I got mine about 1000 tax in when there was a discuount. Can’t believe Apple products have been priced up for so much in these years (plus weak Canadian dollar). Any one remember at that time iPhone 5 was only 499 or 599?
Coming from a Windows-10 user to now an Apple user I can affirm to this. Windows has come a LONG way in terms of UX and stability such as:

- Windows 10 now has virtual desktops
- Windows 10 trackpads are much much better, but Apple still has an edge here
- Windows 10 has better trackpad gesture support
- Windows manufacturers are producing more aesthetic, top-notch builds for those who are looking for a premium/sleek machine

Noone can justify buying this as iOS developers, video editors and designers need a more powerful machine.
Zoomer 4gb + 400min + ultd text $36/mo
Public Mobile $90/90 days 6GB + unltd pro talk + ultd text (Grandfathered)
*PENDING* Fido Winback $50/mo 15gb ultd talk/text
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8733 posts
9564 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Trance wrote: I strongly advise against purchasing this.

I have the pro-version (2018) of this device and the keyboard is absolutely appalling (poor keystroke feedback and it hurts when you strike keys) for long-term use (coding, writing, gaming), so much that I take out a $20 wireless keyboard for work.

Apple clearly chose thinness/aesthetics over ergonomics and UX.
There was a time when you could buy one of these and get pretty much a bulletproof unit, with little competition even in the premium price range. As someone laments here. I use all OS for differing purposes. But for this price point these things better be flawless.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/2018 ... d-concerns

Sadly for you there's now an issue of the 2016 and up Pro with failing display cables.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/01/22/2016 ... splaygate/
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4694 posts
1149 upvotes
Say what you want about MacBooks (I'm typing this on a rMBP)

But a 128 GB hard drive, in 2019, is pathetic
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4601 posts
1854 upvotes
Ancaster
There is still case to be made for higher end Macbooks and the excellent calibrated displays with Adobe RGB coverage. The Airs...not so much.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1792 posts
1402 upvotes
Ottawa
Airs suck. That Costco Zenbook deal is a far better choice. Even the Bauer systems Thinkpad X1 is far better than this junk.
Jan 15, 2017
152 posts
122 upvotes
I loved my 2012 air, other than the crap screen it was the best machine I ever owned. Made the mistake of upgrading to a 2016 pro non Touch Bar. Had multiple big components replaces (keyboard/battery, screen, logic board) then demanded a new computer. Got a 2017 after a lot of complaining and have had the logic board and SSD go on that one as well. Bought AppleCare, will sell prior to it running out and switch to windows. This computer is crap. I can't imagine the air is any better as they share all the design flaws
Apr 15, 2008
69 posts
32 upvotes
Upvoted because it’s a good price for the latest MacBook Air.

This being said.

PSA: If you’re a tweaker and insist on a Mac, this one has a T2 chip that does NOT allow just anyone to do their own upgrades and such.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/12/180 ... ement-tool

I’m personally looking at older Macs on the Apple refurb store and waiting for prices to come down on the older MacBooks.
Feb 19, 2010
502 posts
183 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
[removed]

Anyway, the thing I’d be worried about buying open box is the time you’re losing on the warranty. Can you still buy AppleCare, if you were inclined, up until day 364 after purchase or is it like with the iPhone where it’s within 30 days? These ones have the third Gen keyboards so they shouldn’t have as many issues as the past ones did getting all mucked up, but worth considering.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 27th, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1453 posts
1109 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

You must have forgotten the principle that a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow; $499 5 years ago invested in the markets would have doubled by today, hence the price of the newest iPhone.
Feb 28, 2005
319 posts
158 upvotes
Montreal
I, for one, am quite pleased with my new Macbook Air, 2018. I opted for 16gb of ram and left the 128gb hard-drive. There is no denying the problems that have plagued these butterfly keyboards that Apple included to keep these laptops thin. For all models before the 2018 one, they are covered by a replacement program. Still, I opted for AppleCare just in case. I got a deal on mine through a friend, but if I had not I would probably have gone for this deal. And I'll say it now, yes, this computer is rather expensive for what it is. Still, my Apple products have always lasted and even my 2011 iMac with the AMD GPU problem is still being used daily in my home. Granted, I fixed it on my own.
Nov 29, 2011
861 posts
940 upvotes

remember when CAD was $1.08 to USD?

it's now 0.76

(i agree though, apple products have gone up about 20% for the entry level models now. which is why i stick to the older machines. but the canadian dollar has fallen a lot since 2008 also)
Nov 29, 2011
861 posts
940 upvotes
Zeev20 wrote: Any easy way to try out Mac O/S? Have always wanted to try Mac O/S but refuse to pay the extortionist prices Apple charges for their software/hardware
i think apple's return policy is 2 weeks. more during holidays