Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] MacBook Pro - 13.3" $400 off, 15.4" $700 off

Aug 27, 2009
854 posts
678 upvotes
50centdollars wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 4:32 pm
...surf the web and use web apps.
Fairly accurate and that's what most people do.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23967 posts
9502 upvotes
Loriegolaud wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 5:45 am
I wouldn't compare an Inspiron with a Macbook Pro.
Oh for sure. I was more highlighting the paper specs.

Most ultrabook types are stupidly expensive because they have to cram stuff in.
But unless you specifically need something ultra tiny, I personally don't think any of them are worth the additional cash.

The only way I'd consider an XPS is if I could stack a whole lot of discounts on it.
LockAndKey wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 10:28 am
Also you can't recover any of the data because of T2 (Terminator2) "security" chip.
I don't see this as a bad thing to be honest. More things should be "permanently" encrypted.
tjindersingh wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 2:53 pm
I guess I don't understand why in 2019 people are still so focused on specs.
Latest and greatest, I would definitely agree. Too expensive.
But there is some merit to specs if you're a heavier user.
My 5 year old i5 runs everything I need fine,

Runs what you need, but others have other needs.
That said, I'm on a 7 year old i5 (3570k) and it performs quite nicely too.
My GPU is definitely showing age though.
Ultimately, you're paying for something you use and carry around every day, so you want as good as an experience as possible -- and in 2019, that has less to do with specs than ever before.
I would actually disagree with this, especially for a notebook.
As you said above, even your Air only has 4GB of RAM. Even today 8GB seems to be the bare minimum for higher end notebooks which for me personally is unusable.
I will argue that CPU is less important today because even something like an i3 from a few years ago is perfectly capable for some tasks.
Also SSDs are a thing that weren't years ago (unless you had top of the line). Even if they did have an SSD, they weren't THAT much faster than a hard drive. Today's SSDs are much better.

Specs are definitely important.
Feb 2, 2014
529 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
50centdollars wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 4:32 pm
Not if you do more than surf the web and use web apps. It only has 128GB of storage and 8GB of RAM.
I mean, that's obviously nonsense.
Nov 22, 2004
338 posts
117 upvotes
neonic wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 4:49 pm
You probably gonna get downvoted a lot, partly because of "apple haters"
As the investment analysts have been saying, Apple is a luxury brand now (Apple gold watch anyone?). This rarely equates to "hot deals" or "great value." They also talk about the "prestige" of owning Apple products. Although, I think this is changing. It's starting to make you look like a tool rather than cool now. They've stepped too far on the form over functionality side and they're just gouging their loyal customers. I haven't been excited about any Apple product launches for years now.
Last edited by puckhead on Aug 17th, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 2, 2014
529 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
puckhead wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 6:45 pm
As the investment analysts have been saying, Apple is a luxury brand now (Apple gold watch anyone?). This rarely equates to "hot deals" or "great value." They're also talk about the "prestige" of owning Apple products. Although, I think this is changing. It's starting to make you look like a tool rather than cool now. They've stepped too far on the form over functionality side and they're just gouging their loyal customers. I haven't been excited about any Apple product launches for years now.
I don't think it's accurate to say Apple are a luxury brand (there are a billion active iOS devices in the world, how can that be a luxury brand?). But it's true that they have pushed form over function. That's part of why Jonny Ive is gone now. Hopefully with the design team reined in a bit, they can get back to mixing functionality and aesthetics so we don't get another repeat of the MBP keyboard disaster.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4113 posts
705 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 5:09 pm
Regardless of how you might feel about Apple, those are still grossly overpriced for the hardware you get. $2000 (post-sale price) for the 13" has the bare minimum spec (i5/256/8GB) doesn't even get you discrete graphics. That is a $600-700 spec elsewhere. The 15" prices are just nuts.
I'm in the market for a new laptop. Which ones would you recommend with MacBook Pro 13 equivalent performance but in the much better $600-700 range?
tjindersingh wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 6:55 pm
I don't think it's accurate to say Apple are a luxury brand (there are a billion active iOS devices in the world, how can that be a luxury brand?). But it's true that they have pushed form over function. That's part of why Jonny Ive is gone now.
Jony Ive is the one who pushed for luxury. He's bored with designing tech. That's why he focused so much on making Apple Watch a luxury product before Apple realized it's better as a fitness watch. Ivy also focused on Apple Park and the new Apple Stores. You design tech for 20 years and your interests will change over time.
Feb 19, 2017
368 posts
173 upvotes
tjindersingh wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 6:40 pm
I mean, that's obviously nonsense.
How so? The MacBook is supposed to be pro device - try doing just about anything "pro" with 8GB of RAM. For example, if you're a web developer, try running an IDE, some virtual machines, a browser with dozens or more tabs open, plus a few other apps in the background, all with 8 GB of RAM available. You're going to have a bad time.

Right now on my 2012 MBP I'm watching a Youtube video, have Itunes open, and a few browser tabs and small apps besides. It's using 7.2 GB of memory, plus 2+ GB cached. When I have an IDE open a 2 VMs, I'm regularly well over 10 GB of RAM usage.

8GB of RAM on a "pro" device is a sad joke.

Edit: Also realize that the 13" doesn't have a dedicated GPU, which means the integrated GPU is going to be using system memory as well (more if you're also using 1 or more external monitors). Also since the memory is soldered, you will want to future-proof the device. If you somehow got away with 8 GB of RAM in the past, you're probably going to encounter situations where you would need more than 8GB in the next 3-5 years (or however long you keep the device).
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10881 posts
1029 upvotes
50centdollars wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 2:02 pm
My relative's 2009 MacBook Pro is still going strong, too. I put an SSD in there a few years ago which really helps, but I believe it only supports SATA II so the speedup is limited. It's still perfectly fine for basic tasks, but I wouldn't want to do any real work on it.

There are two concerns with the 2009s, though. The first is the lack of OS support. I believe Mavericks is the last release that officially supports the 2009 MBPs. I know some have managed to install Sierra on it - haven't tried it yet myself. The second is the old Core CPUs haven't received any fixes for Spectre/Meltdown/etc to my knowledge because they're so old.
Yes I put in a SSD and a new battery, and used a patcher to upgrade to Sierra. The only need for Sierra was so I can view HEIF files on the computer. My wife's 2011 MacBook is the same deal, going on strong with some SSD and battery replacement.

Very impressed with these computers.
Dec 10, 2014
588 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The new ones coming out next month are going back to the old style keyboards if anyone is waiting for that.
Jan 6, 2018
40 posts
46 upvotes
I bought a used MacBook Pro 15" (late 2013) a couple months ago off eBay for $700 and it runs like a champ, never slows down in anything I do. I run Windows 10 on it too using bootcamp. Only thing is, I had to replace the thermal paste cause it was overheating when I got it. So if you want a MacBook and these prices look too much, maybe try looking at the used ones.
Nov 22, 2004
338 posts
117 upvotes
tjindersingh wrote:
I don't think it's accurate to say Apple are a luxury brand (there are a billion active iOS devices in the world, how can that be a luxury brand?). But it's true that they have pushed form over function.
I'm not the one saying that, but I agree with them to a certain extent. The Apple today is not the Apple I remember from 20 years ago. Also, there are a lot of Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche, etc. (luxury for the "rest of us") out there. Phones obviously are not in the same league, but when you buy a car, the purpose of which is to get from A to B, what would make you pay considerably more? You can call iPhone, iPads, MacBook/Mac Pros the premium brand in their respective categories, but it is the same sort of brand appeal, product quality and prestige that other luxury brands enjoy. They've been trying to capitalize on that in recent years by pushing out higher end products and very niche products like 10-20k Apple Watches and stuff like the Pro Stand. Maybe this strategy won't work and backfire like it seems to be happening.
Last edited by puckhead on Aug 21st, 2019 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23967 posts
9502 upvotes
tjindersingh wrote:
I don't think it's accurate to say Apple are a luxury brand (there are a billion active iOS devices in the world, how can that be a luxury brand?).
It's an entry into luxury. You're no longer buying $100 Androids. You now have a $1000+ phone! People know you have money because you can "afford" $1000+ on a phone.
My mom's friend convinced her to buy an iPhone. She listened because her friend was fashionable.
The ONLY thing she used the phone for was making phone calls. Nothing else. That includes the contacts function. She had a slip of paper in her purse with her contacts on it.
Literally the only reason she bought it was for prestige.
50centdollars wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 7:50 pm
a browser with dozens or more tabs open
*cough*
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1007 posts
266 upvotes
Montreal
McGarnagle wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 9:28 pm
The new ones coming out next month are going back to the old style keyboards if anyone is waiting for that.
Fake news. New keyboard mechanics maybe, not "old style" keyboard.
Feb 19, 2017
368 posts
173 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 9:23 pm
Yes I put in a SSD and a new battery, and used a patcher to upgrade to Sierra. The only need for Sierra was so I can view HEIF files on the computer. My wife's 2011 MacBook is the same deal, going on strong with some SSD and battery replacement.

Very impressed with these computers.
As an aside, what battery did you use for the replacement?

My 2012 could use a replacement in the next few months, and I can't find any Apple-certified batteries online. Maybe the Apple Store is my best bet? I'm not sure if they'll sell me one that I can install - which would be my preference - or whether they only sell them as part of the installation service.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1007 posts
266 upvotes
Montreal
50centdollars wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 7:50 pm
How so? The MacBook is supposed to be pro device - try doing just about anything "pro" with 8GB of RAM. For example, if you're a web developer, try running an IDE, some virtual machines, a browser with dozens or more tabs open, plus a few other apps in the background, all with 8 GB of RAM available. You're going to have a bad time.

Right now on my 2012 MBP I'm watching a Youtube video, have Itunes open, and a few browser tabs and small apps besides. It's using 7.2 GB of memory, plus 2+ GB cached. When I have an IDE open a 2 VMs, I'm regularly well over 10 GB of RAM usage.

8GB of RAM on a "pro" device is a sad joke.

Edit: Also realize that the 13" doesn't have a dedicated GPU, which means the integrated GPU is going to be using system memory as well (more if you're also using 1 or more external monitors). Also since the memory is soldered, you will want to future-proof the device. If you somehow got away with 8 GB of RAM in the past, you're probably going to encounter situations where you would need more than 8GB in the next 3-5 years (or however long you keep the device).
I'm doing all that on a 2015 MBP with 8GB. If it doesn't cut it for you, there's a 16GB configuration.

Moral of the story: "Pro" is not a standard, it's not a measurable specification. Some people can do professional work on 8GB, some can't; some "pro" work even requires more than 32GB of RAM.