Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] MacBook Pro - 13.3" $400 off, 15.4" $700 off

Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11269 posts
1331 upvotes
50centdollars wrote: As an aside, what battery did you use for the replacement?

My 2012 could use a replacement in the next few months, and I can't find any Apple-certified batteries online. Maybe the Apple Store is my best bet? I'm not sure if they'll sell me one that I can install - which would be my preference - or whether they only sell them as part of the installation service.
I went with iFixit. It was pretty expensive, $150cad after shipping, but it has good reviews. Lots of stories of cheap batteries dying again very shortly.
May 23, 2017
23 posts
14 upvotes
I just built my own PC and the 2tb ssd cost $200 meanwhile Apple wants $1250 just to upgrade from 128gb to 2tb. ..pretty crazy
Feb 19, 2017
457 posts
276 upvotes
Raptors35 wrote: I just built my own PC and the 2tb ssd cost $200 meanwhile Apple wants $1250 just to upgrade from 128gb to 2tb. ..pretty crazy
Or $500 to go from 256 to 512 GB.

Granted your 2 TB SSD was probably SATA or QLC NVMe, but still, even NVMe storage shouldn't be nearly that expensive. There is a premium because it's soldered, but really anything more than $100 per 100GB is an insult given where SSD prices are at right now (last time I looked a good NVMe drive is going for $0.4-0.45 per GB retail, and we can be sure Apple is paying a lot less than that).
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
592 posts
516 upvotes
Poor OP, this thread get bashed so badly.

Just goes to show that Windows users are more active on RFD than Mac users. I gave this thread a like.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13044 posts
6852 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Thanks for posting OP, still a deal even though they are gearing more and more towards people with higher expendable income, and those that don’t care how much things cost which is less the readership here. Not sure if my old one breaks beyond justifiable repair I’ll buy again but someone here will.
Sep 9, 2015
826 posts
477 upvotes
Nanaimo
BRKAMZN wrote: Poor OP, this thread get bashed so badly.

Just goes to show that Windows users are more active on RFD than Mac users. I gave this thread a like.
If you read the thread, you'll see many apple users still downvoting because prices are out of date. Being a fan of apple is fine, doesn't mean you have to mindlessly pay anything they charge.
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
592 posts
516 upvotes
S0lidus wrote: If you read the thread, you'll see many apple users still downvoting because prices are out of date. Being a fan of apple is fine, doesn't mean you have to mindlessly pay anything they charge.
If you look at the competition with the same specs, the MSRP is the same. You will need to take into account build quality, screen, keyboard/trackpad, and other features.
Most people compare MacBook to a Windows laptop with the same RAM, CPU, and SSD size, ONLY. "Heck, I can get a Windows Laptop with the same spec for $500". That is not the way they do things at Apple.

After you take everything into account, the price might be a few hundred dollars off (around 10%), that can be attributed to their Mac OS. As a programmer, it's well worth the price.
Dec 2, 2018
49 posts
20 upvotes
Bought myself the 13” upgraded, it cost me around $4000. But they included free beats by Dre ($350 value)
Dec 2, 2018
49 posts
20 upvotes
But this was a while back, not too sure if they still include this deal!
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
592 posts
516 upvotes
username76025 wrote: Bought myself the 13” upgraded, it cost me around $4000. But they included free beats by Dre ($350 value)
Epic lol. I still have the Beats Headphone unopened.
Dec 25, 2017
98 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
BRKAMZN wrote: If you look at the competition with the same specs, the MSRP is the same. You will need to take into account build quality, screen, keyboard/trackpad, and other features.
Most people compare MacBook to a Windows laptop with the same RAM, CPU, and SSD size, ONLY. "Heck, I can get a Windows Laptop with the same spec for $500". That is not the way they do things at Apple.

After you take everything into account, the price might be a few hundred dollars off (around 10%), that can be attributed to their Mac OS. As a programmer, it's well worth the price.
The 10% or so price difference was true few years ago and not anymore. If you look at Ultrabooks, you can get a well built Ultrabook made by Razer, Dell or even Huawei for less than 1500 but a similar spec in Apple land costs more than 2000! And not to forget, it is not as if the MacBooks are more reliable. Hardware issues aplenty (keyboard, flexgate), software issues aplenty (Bridge OS related crashes). All in all, Apple today represents piss poor value.

The only reason why they are able to do what they are doing is cause people are already invested in the platform. I have purchased many apps for the Mac that may or may not have as nice replacements either in Windows or Linux. The reason they don't is cause even developers invested in the Mac platform early on.

Just imagine, if Apple started out today with the hardware it has at the prices currently with all the documented reliability issues, do you think it would take off? Most people would not touch it with a ten foot pole! The only reason why the Apple train continues to move forward despite the tomfoolery by Tim and co is cause of momentum.
Feb 19, 2017
457 posts
276 upvotes
BRKAMZN wrote: If you look at the competition with the same specs, the MSRP is the same. You will need to take into account build quality, screen, keyboard/trackpad, and other features.

A deal is on now for the Razer Blade Stealth 2019 - widely regarded as among the best Windows ultrabooks - for $1354. That includes 16GB of RAM and 256GB of user upgradable storage.

The 13" MBP with the same RAM, storage, and comparable CPU runs $2,549.00.

That's a hell of premium. The Mac gives you a somewhat better screen, the T2 chip, somewhat better build quality, and the ecosystem. Is that worth $1200 more? It certainly isn't for me, but if you're an iOS developer a Mac is a must.
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
592 posts
516 upvotes
50centdollars wrote: A deal is on now for the Razer Blade Stealth 2019 - widely regarded as among the best Windows ultrabooks - for $1354. That includes 16GB of RAM and 256GB of user upgradable storage.

The 13" MBP with the same RAM, storage, and comparable CPU runs $2,549.00.

That's a hell of premium. The Mac gives you a somewhat better screen, the T2 chip, somewhat better build quality, and the ecosystem. Is that worth $1200 more? It certainly isn't for me, but if you're an iOS developer a Mac is a must.
Could you link me to that awesome Razer Blade Stealth 2019 deal?