2976 posts
1357 upvotes
Mississauga
L4cky wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 4:57 am
Linux = For genius people with lot of knowledge
Windows = normal people with decent knowledge
Mac = don't know anything and only cares about user friendly
Used all three and still prefer Mac for software development.
I love RFD! :)
Feb 19, 2017
368 posts
173 upvotes
BRKAMZN wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 9:18 am
For one, the screen resolution is not the same. And I bet the track pad is inferior to a MBA.

And the most important thing is the MSRP is over $2,000 for this killer deal.
I have said this before, if you are looking at the MSRP, then Apple's products are priced competitively, they just don't go on sale that often.

Another thing, 5 years down the road, I can still sell my MBA for around $300-500, I wonder how much you can fetch with this laptop. You will need to take into account the resell value as well. Again, do not simply compare paper specs of RAM, SSD, and CPU.
Yes I pointed out above that the screen is slightly better on the MBP, along with other pros. The Stealth has some features (dGPU to take load off the U-series processor) the MBP doesn't.

MSRP is irrelevant - it's the prevailing price in the market that matters. Windows ultrabooks often go on sale (some brands more than others). MBPs rarely do, and when they do the savings are marginal.

MBPs do retain resale value, yes, but now that every single thing is soldered onto one board, the risk of failure is total failure is greater - that's why so many spend even more ($300) to get Apple Care. With some Windows ultrabooks - and most Windows laptops - the RAM, SSD, and other components are not soldered, leaving the possibility for salvage value if the mainboard goes kaput.
Feb 19, 2017
368 posts
173 upvotes
yo2boy wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 2:40 pm
Used all three and still prefer Mac for software development.
I like the ease of adding packages in Ubuntu Linux. apt is so easy to use compared to homebrew or macports.

But for software availability, I prefer Mac OS. I'm looking forward to see how good Windows Subsystem for Linux is - if it's like 80% of the way there my next lappy upgrade will be to Windows, not another MBP.
Nov 23, 2018
515 posts
492 upvotes
50centdollars wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 4:06 pm
Yes I pointed out above that the screen is slightly better on the MBP, along with other pros. The Stealth has some features (dGPU to take load off the U-series processor) the MBP doesn't.

MSRP is irrelevant - it's the prevailing price in the market that matters. Windows ultrabooks often go on sale (some brands more than others). MBPs rarely do, and when they do the savings are marginal.

MBPs do retain resale value, yes, but now that every single thing is soldered onto one board, the risk of failure is total failure is greater - that's why so many spend even more ($300) to get Apple Care. With some Windows ultrabooks - and most Windows laptops - the RAM, SSD, and other components are not soldered, leaving the possibility for salvage value if the mainboard goes kaput.
I thought MBP does have a dGPU.

I was wondering, who would repair their Windows laptops? I just get a new one because by the time it is broken, the price would have dropped significantly.
Nov 1, 2015
560 posts
391 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Hey guys...

Did you know there are laptops that cost over $1500 with 1.4ghz in it? DAMN MACBOOKPROS
Jul 31, 2016
304 posts
422 upvotes
Whitby
nsns77 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 2:19 pm
Track pad is hands down the best.. I don’t understand why why windows cannot have those materials and drivers

Surface devices started with precision drivers and glass and it is huge improvement compare to other windows laptops I had before. Now I use a surface Pro

I wish Microsoft would continue to improve it and increase the size also to allow for better user experience
I've literally bought MBPs just for the trackpad
Feb 21, 2017
34 posts
14 upvotes
Bestbuy offers discount on last year's models.
It's actually better getting a 2019 model from the Apple Education ($130-250 discount) and a pair of Beats Studio 3 (you can sell them for $200).

However, have an upvote yo.
Feb 21, 2017
34 posts
14 upvotes
L4cky wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 4:57 am
Linux = For genius people with lot of knowledge
Windows = normal people with decent knowledge
Mac = don't know anything and only cares about user friendly
Well you can't really compare systems to mac computers right. should be "MacOS"?. You can still use Linus and Windows on a Macbook.
Macbook Pros have become so expensive - compared to the actual hardware costs.
However I have converted to a Mac user, because I had enough of the Windows 8/10 blue screens from their random updates (I had been a PC user since the Dos era)

Plus multiple programming tools I use are Linux based. It is just so much easier using them on a Mac
Oct 13, 2016
306 posts
454 upvotes
“Save up to $400...”
The refurbished deals looks still not bad though
Feb 17, 2009
473 posts
251 upvotes
Care to tell us how you secured that kind of price?
Feb 19, 2017
368 posts
173 upvotes
Best Buy has a new (I think) sale on for the base 15.4" for $2,499.00. On the Apple website it's priced at $2,999.00, so if it's the same model at Best Buy that's a pretty solid discount for a MacBook. I haven't confirmed that though - the Best Buy shows a 2.2GHz 6-core, the Apple webiste a 2.6GHz 6-core. Probably just a typo on Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ap ... h/12727814

If you're in the market for the 15" MacBook, that's pretty darn solid. The only drawback is the small SSD at 256GB, and it's soldered. If this had a 512GB SSD it would be a screaming deal.