• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2021 5:58 pm
[OP]
Aug 7, 2018
12 posts
26 upvotes

[Best Buy] Marantz SR7013 $500 OFF to $2499.98

$500 off, down to $2499.98

There have been better deals in the past, but I'm wondering if those $1K off deals are now a thing of the past.
74 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3051 posts
1656 upvotes
Toronto
Receivers seem to be out of stock/MSRP for the most part so decent if you need it. This model does not have 4K/120 capabilities (and even those have issues delivering 4k/120 4:4:4). Personally I'm waiting for gen 2 HDMI 2.1 receivers to come out.
Oct 27, 2020
21 posts
72 upvotes
A few yrs ago, something like this which is a few yrs old would be dirt cheap. now $2500 is suppose to be a sale. this receiver was $999 on sale when it was relatively new.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2077 posts
1106 upvotes
Ottawa
11stealthy11 wrote: A few yrs ago, something like this which is a few yrs old would be dirt cheap. now $2500 is suppose to be a sale. this receiver was $999 on sale when it was relatively new.
But don't worry - inflation is zero.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2027 posts
1522 upvotes
11stealthy11 wrote: A few yrs ago, something like this which is a few yrs old would be dirt cheap. now $2500 is suppose to be a sale. this receiver was $999 on sale when it was relatively new.
fruzmatik wrote: But don't worry - inflation is zero.
For the last few years, $999 would be the sale price of the latest Marantz 70xx receivers.
Mar 23, 2017
225 posts
198 upvotes
AstonM wrote: Receivers seem to be out of stock/MSRP for the most part so decent if you need it. This model does not have 4K/120 capabilities (and even those have issues delivering 4k/120 4:4:4). Personally I'm waiting for gen 2 HDMI 2.1 receivers to come out.
I don't really understand the need for your receiver to handle 4k/120 (and I have an LG B9) or the latest/greatest video codecs. I use the on-tv apps for most of my viewing and have a HTPC and blu-ray (not 4k yet, waiting till ps5 is easy to find) just connected straight to the TV. For some power users (multiple displays) having video processing on your receiver helps but for 95% of users you don't need it.

If you use the on tv apps, which most consumers do, you are running an ARC anyways. Let the TV handle the processing and the receiver just handles the audio and anything from the last few years is just as compatible.
Jun 7, 2017
473 posts
1979 upvotes
Ottawa
Chewfam wrote: For the last few years, $999 would be the sale price of the latest Marantz 70xx receivers.
799 sometimes
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3051 posts
1656 upvotes
Toronto
Snowcrash01 wrote: I don't really understand the need for your receiver to handle 4k/120 (and I have an LG B9) or the latest/greatest video codecs. I use the on-tv apps for most of my viewing and have a HTPC and blu-ray (not 4k yet, waiting till ps5 is easy to find) just connected straight to the TV. For some power users (multiple displays) having video processing on your receiver helps but for 95% of users you don't need it.

If you use the on tv apps, which most consumers do, you are running an ARC anyways. Let the TV handle the processing and the receiver just handles the audio and anything from the last few years is just as compatible.
I'm looking to buy for 8-10 year time horizon. I would expect 8K to take hold for for part of the market by that point, and I also have an Xbox Series X I'd like to get the most out of once I also upgrade my TV to something 4k/120 VRR capable. If you upgrade every few years then year it doesn't really matter, but I find I go in 10 year cycles for these items. I don't use built in apps on my TV and prefer having a dedicated device (Apple TV 4K/Nvidia Shield). Everyone's got their own use case/priorities
[OP]
Aug 7, 2018
12 posts
26 upvotes
AstonM wrote: Receivers seem to be out of stock/MSRP for the most part so decent if you need it. This model does not have 4K/120 capabilities (and even those have issues delivering 4k/120 4:4:4). Personally I'm waiting for gen 2 HDMI 2.1 receivers to come out.
It has 4K 60 which is fine for most people except hard core gamers.
Mar 23, 2017
225 posts
198 upvotes
AstonM wrote: I'm looking to buy for 8-10 year time horizon. I would expect 8K to take hold for for part of the market by that point, and I also have an Xbox Series X I'd like to get the most out of once I also upgrade my TV to something 4k/120 VRR capable. If you upgrade every few years then year it doesn't really matter, but I find I go in 10 year cycles for these items. I don't use built in apps on my TV and prefer having a dedicated device (Apple TV 4K/Nvidia Shield). Everyone's got their own use case/priorities
But you can just run the apple tv/shield into the tv and an ARC to your receiver and you'll get everything. Also, for something like VRR having a step inbetween your monitor and device is going to cause headaches and be a pain to configure. Your screen knows how to process the video and codecs it understands, let it do it's job and your receiver do it's job (audio).

I don't really believe in future-proofing, but I still run two 10 year old receivers even though I upgraded the screens because they still handle the audio fine (DTS-HD for now, going to upgrade one to atmos sometime).
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3264 posts
2076 upvotes
GTA
To pile on with the other posters, this is also the prior generation -- current model is the SR7015.

HOWEVER, the current generation while supposed to support 8K/HDMI 2.1/4K120, is experiencing some major compatibility issues that haven't been entirely worked out yet.
Nov 11, 2019
24 posts
11 upvotes
Dude, I just want some cheap but good room correction. Might just go with minidsp at this point
Feb 6, 2019
77 posts
47 upvotes
Receivers in this price range are very hard to find these days. New model lines have been delayed significantly but are starting to trickle out. The AKM plant burning down a few months ago didn't help things either.

I was in the market for a receiver in this price range a couple of months ago. I ended up going with a Yamaha RX-A2080, but it was very difficult to find one.

I suppose the point is that the demand is much greater than the supply, so we may not see those amazing prices we saw in the past on the Marantz receivers.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16977 posts
3198 upvotes
Toronto
For this kind of money, I'm going with the new Anthem receiver to replace my current Anthem.
Mar 23, 2017
225 posts
198 upvotes
AstonM wrote: I'm looking to buy for 8-10 year time horizon. I would expect 8K to take hold for for part of the market by that point, and I also have an Xbox Series X I'd like to get the most out of once I also upgrade my TV to something 4k/120 VRR capable. If you upgrade every few years then year it doesn't really matter, but I find I go in 10 year cycles for these items. I don't use built in apps on my TV and prefer having a dedicated device (Apple TV 4K/Nvidia Shield). Everyone's got their own use case/priorities
Not to pile on, I just want to make this point a little more clear (not just for you, but other readers)

If you actually intend on using a receiver for 10+ years, don't future-proof against video codecs because that is always a losing prospect. Video codecs change every few years, but audio codecs are almost glacially slow. Until your receiver no longer has the audio codecs you require (and not what some reviewer says you require) it is doing it's job. If you think you will need more speakers/more power future proof in that way (but also make sure your receiver has pre-outs so you can just add another amp if you get hungry speakers)
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2857 posts
1164 upvotes
GTA
At this point, there's no reason to not separate out to a processor + amplifier, unless you have specifically need to have a receiver do your video source switching
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2337 posts
783 upvotes
Mississauga
Seems this is a sale to clear out the 7013.. and make way for the newer 7015.. if thats the case $500 is not enough.. gonna wait it out.
At this pricepoint if your a Marantz fan and you can pickup the phone and talk to a CSR in the audio dept at BB.. you should be able to get a discount from MSRP anyway.. so 500 off is not something to go and buy.