Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Marantz SR7013 $500 OFF to $2499.98

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 12:03 am
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2011
532 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
Can this amp do 11.2 with external amplification?

I just bought a Denon 4500h for $1125 taxes in from Amazon Warehouse for an 11.4 setup with my old amp driving the extra 2 channels. What does more than double the price get me?

The companies obviously share manufacturing concerns as the back of the Marantz looks crazy similar to my Denon.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 24, 2002
3069 posts
765 upvotes
BC
Crappy deal. Not only do the newer Marantz receivers measure much, much better this price for an outgoing marantz is pretty bad. Yes, I snagged a flagship marantz for $799 a few years ago, but they use to go for $999 or $1299 just last year.
Newbie
Nov 22, 2019
9 posts
1 upvote
audit13 wrote: For this kind of money, I'm going with the new Anthem receiver to replace my current Anthem.
Yes I was thinking to do the same. Anthem MRX 740 is $500 more, how is Anthem compared to this receiver? any experience with both?
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 7, 2018
10 posts
8 upvotes
Ren wrote: Crappy deal. Not only do the newer Marantz receivers measure much, much better this price for an outgoing marantz is pretty bad. Yes, I snagged a flagship marantz for $799 a few years ago, but they use to go for $999 or $1299 just last year.
How do the newer models measure better? The 7015 is virtually the same as the 7013, except they added HDMI 2.1, and a couple of other features. The internals are unchanged, unless you have some information you'd like to share.

Yes about the price, I got my SR7008 for $999 five years ago, but I wanted to post this deal because some in the market for a receiver might be interested anyway.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2075 posts
1105 upvotes
Ottawa
crutzulee wrote: Can this amp do 11.2 with external amplification?

I just bought a Denon 4500h for $1125 taxes in from Amazon Warehouse for an 11.4 setup with my old amp driving the extra 2 channels. What does more than double the price get me?

The companies obviously share manufacturing concerns as the back of the Marantz looks crazy similar to my Denon.
Pretty sure its the exact same receiver with different software...
Member
User avatar
Nov 24, 2007
336 posts
259 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Chewfam wrote: For the last few years, $999 would be the sale price of the latest Marantz 70xx receivers.
It's been a quite a while since you could get the LATEST gen Marantz 70XX AVR for under $1K, even as B-stock. The 60XX does still slip below $1K sometimes. The best price I've seen for this 7013 was in summer 2019 (when it was still the current model, released in fall 2018) at $1199 at BB (I bought it then). There was no 7014; the 7015 was released in late summer/fall 2020 as the successor.

As far as I know, the upgrades with the 7015 are mainly on the video side (HDMI 2.3, Dynamic HDR, HDR10+, 8K upscaling/passthrough) along with Atmos virtual height and BT 4.2 instead of 3.0. The biggest updates, IMHO, are the "preamp mode" which physically disconnects the internal amps if used with external power amps, and the BT connection for headphones.

I agree that at $2500, I'd spring the extra $500 and buy the latest model; but at $1500 or less (I think it was $1299 this fall) it's a great alternative.
Member
Mar 26, 2004
305 posts
168 upvotes
Ottawa
Agree skip Marantz at this price point in favor of more boutique offerings like Anthem, NAD, etc. Cannot be compared sonically. Former owner of 2 Marantz AVRs and there's no looking back once you hear the others.
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2011
532 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
fruzmatik wrote: Pretty sure its the exact same receiver with different software...
I'd feel like an absolute genius if I could believe this. Besides 8K and the super sexy front panel, I'd like to know what's worth double. It can't be the software because the Denon's is ridiculously good. If buying the Marantz, I'd be concerned that the description makes no reference to 11.2 decoding.
Member
Dec 30, 2013
265 posts
119 upvotes
Mississauga
AstonM wrote: I'm looking to buy for 8-10 year time horizon. I would expect 8K to take hold for for part of the market by that point, and I also have an Xbox Series X I'd like to get the most out of once I also upgrade my TV to something 4k/120 VRR capable. If you upgrade every few years then year it doesn't really matter, but I find I go in 10 year cycles for these items. I don't use built in apps on my TV and prefer having a dedicated device (Apple TV 4K/Nvidia Shield). Everyone's got their own use case/priorities
They don't make things like they use to, I'd be really surprised if this lasted 10 years
Member
May 22, 2007
249 posts
225 upvotes
TTSKA55 wrote: Yes I was thinking to do the same. Anthem MRX 740 is $500 more, how is Anthem compared to this receiver? any experience with both?
You really can't go wrong with either from what I've read and heard. I love my 720 and someone I knew who's into Hifi said he likes both; I trust his judgement as he's used those, Krell, Arcam, Emotiva,
Bryston, etc...
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2007
718 posts
235 upvotes
Upvoting and thank you for trying to help out with AVR deals. Hard to come by these days.

Looking myswlf as well. Hoping to do 5.1.4 so will need 9 channels.

Gibbys who usually has abundance of AVRs all OOS on B stock as well as any "on sale" units.

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/ ... receivers/
Member
User avatar
Nov 24, 2007
336 posts
259 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
R8247 wrote: Upvoting and thank you for trying to help out with AVR deals. Hard to come by these days.

Looking myswlf as well. Hoping to do 5.1.4 so will need 9 channels.

Gibbys who usually has abundance of AVRs all OOS on B stock as well as any "on sale" units.

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/ ... receivers/
Agree - I bought my previous 7007 from Gibbys as B-stock and it was like new, as were the 6011 & 6012 my friends have purchased. This year I haven't seen very good pricing on their Marantz B-stock, in fact I don't know that the B-stock 7013 has hit the BB new pricing lows.
Member
User avatar
Nov 24, 2007
336 posts
259 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
dfm74 wrote: Agree skip Marantz at this price point in favor of more boutique offerings like Anthem, NAD, etc. Cannot be compared sonically. Former owner of 2 Marantz AVRs and there's no looking back once you hear the others.
There are pluses and minuses to going with something like Marantz vs "boutique".

Over the past decade or more, Marantz has had pretty good quality control and no consistent/persistent major issues (I did have lots of issues with Marantz in the early 2000s, particularly with video switching which was still in its early days in AVRs). I am disappointed to hear about the issues with the 7015, and hope that this can be resolved for owners via firmware update.

Anthem sounds great, and ARC is much better than Audyssey XT32 (although less user-friendly), but a few years ago a friend went through 2 failed MRX 5XX receivers just outside of warranty and was told each was uneconomical to repair. The Anthem repair depot told him his problems were not uncommon for those units, so he decided to look at Marantz. He's one of the 60XX buyers I mention in my previous post, and is quite happy with the Marantz sound - and this is a guy who worked at the NRC sound lab as a student assistant to Dr Floyd Toole in the late 1980s.

The ease of use and the feature set are typically better in the Marantz than the comparable Anthem - with the Anthem you're likely getting more money spent in the amplification.

I had gone to using a receiver as a preamp and running power amplifiers for many years; but with the 7007 I found that this was no longer necessary, and sold off my power amps.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2076 posts
490 upvotes
Central Ontario
I'm still using my Marantz SR-7000 from 2000 :) I did have to get a cold solder joint fixed in 2012, but that cost less than $100 from an authorized service depot and it's been perfect ever since.

Anthem is on my short list when/if it needs replacing.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2075 posts
1105 upvotes
Ottawa
crutzulee wrote: I'd feel like an absolute genius if I could believe this. Besides 8K and the super sexy front panel, I'd like to know what's worth double. It can't be the software because the Denon's is ridiculously good. If buying the Marantz, I'd be concerned that the description makes no reference to 11.2 decoding.
It's not worth double. Both of these models regularly went on sale for ~$1000 (pre-covid).
Member
Mar 23, 2017
220 posts
188 upvotes
R8247 wrote: Upvoting and thank you for trying to help out with AVR deals. Hard to come by these days.

Looking myswlf as well. Hoping to do 5.1.4 so will need 9 channels.

Gibbys who usually has abundance of AVRs all OOS on B stock as well as any "on sale" units.

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/ ... receivers/
AVR deals are going to be hard to come by in the next year or so. Reduced production due to Covid-19 and the AKM fire (major chip manufacturer for these kind of things) is going to mean low supply.
Newbie
Apr 23, 2019
4 posts
This was a great deal @ $1199 two years ago, I'll wait for a better deal, just like when tequila was a rip off, receivers will come down after the chip fire
Sr. Member
Oct 21, 2003
612 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Ren wrote: Crappy deal. Not only do the newer Marantz receivers measure much, much better this price for an outgoing marantz is pretty bad. Yes, I snagged a flagship marantz for $799 a few years ago, but they use to go for $999 or $1299 just last year.
I doubt it was their flagship model for that low.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)