Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Marathon Pilot's Chronograph 46mm Men's Analog Watch - Black - $4,249.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 2:07 am
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2556 posts
588 upvotes
GTA
torontotim wrote: I should have maybe left the Snowflake off the list ;) Antiques are a family business, so many of the purchases have been through that channel and were made some time ago. The Internet ruined things - everybody knows what things are worth now. Hard to buy the $100 Rolexes we used to.

My main point is for $4000, you can invest in a proper collectible timepiece that will likely increase in value as opposed to walking into a store and buying new, shelling out more tax to the government and losing money instantly.

I had an early straight second hand 1655 Explorer II for a while, wearing it to work in the early 90's. We had a $1200 price tag on it back then.

Probably paid $200 for it, and I ended up keeping it till the internet came along and sold it for $7000 almost 20 years ago. The money went into RRSP's and has probably done about the same in terms of appreciation as the watch would have.

The Snowflake was a fluke. Appears to never have been worn.

107-0731_img.jpgIMG_1730.jpg
drolling...
vintage watches are very tricky, takes lots of knowledge and the vast majority don't have it, its too easy to be scammed out of a lot of money.
I try to avoid vintage unless I know and trust the seller. Investing in watches is not something I would recommend unless you can buy a new Rolex from and AD. Buy what you want to wear and can afford.
Invest in RRSP or Real Estate - but I'm no expert, just my opinion.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $5758.00
Feb 5, 2013
190 posts
108 upvotes
Temporel wrote: So, with this, can I go time traveling?
Exactly! Where is the flux capacitor on this? Or perhaps a Time stone is inside?

Well I guess these only come on a Patek Philippe, Rolex or such timepieces....
Jun 12, 2014
76 posts
47 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
or it is called time heist in Avengers
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10055 posts
6107 upvotes
Not really sure I understand the 'investment' mentality... If investment is the goal, why pick a watch...aren't there better things for that?

Don't people buy a watch for the watch itself anymore? (e.g. Buy an espresso machine for the machine itself, buy a car for the car...)

If it goes up in value, nice. But primary goal of buying a watch is 'ownership' of the watch, no? (You can't own it if you sell it, and there's no monetary value if you don't sell it)

So, if you're getting anything for investment purposes, you're buying it to sell...surely, watches aren't that great of an investment (time-wise).

I just wear a Casio to 'tell the time', but occasionally, I do like 'having' other watches to look at...like looking at a painting on a wall I guess.

Can you imagine, going to a restaurant, and ask the chef "Why charge so much and make the dishes so fancy? Just boil them in water and put on a plate, come on!"

My point, if some buy a watch for investment, and some buy a watch just to tell the time (two ends of extremes), then isn't it also acceptable to have a middle ground...to buy a watch because people like the watch?

Some people are so binary in their thinking...
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17744 posts
1283 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
chatbox wrote: Not really sure I understand the 'investment' mentality... If investment is the goal, why pick a watch...aren't there better things for that?

Don't people buy a watch for the watch itself anymore? (e.g. Buy an espresso machine for the machine itself, buy a car for the car...)

If it goes up in value, nice. But primary goal of buying a watch is 'ownership' of the watch, no? (You can't own it if you sell it, and there's no monetary value if you don't sell it)

So, if you're getting anything for investment purposes, you're buying it to sell...surely, watches aren't that great of an investment (time-wise).

I just wear a Casio to 'tell the time', but occasionally, I do like 'having' other watches to look at...like looking at a painting on a wall I guess.

Can you imagine, going to a restaurant, and ask the chef "Why charge so much and make the dishes so fancy? Just boil them in water and put on a plate, come on!"

My point, if some buy a watch for investment, and some buy a watch just to tell the time (two ends of extremes), then isn't it also acceptable to have a middle ground...to buy a watch because people like the watch?

Some people are so binary in their thinking...
To be fair, a Rolex is both a really nice watch and an investment...
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14327 posts
5513 upvotes
Ottawa
Right, you shouldn't pick a watch on resale value. Even with Omegas, outside the Moonwatch and maybe a handful of models, the used prices drop quickly

Marathon are popular because of their credibility as tool watches. After all, if they are standard issue for US soldiers, they must hold up.

Having said that, you are best off buying the regular GSAR model, that is the actual watch that is issued for US Government. it's reasonably priced for a watch with some kind of legacy and its build quality is good for its $1K-ish price. I don't think it's particularly pretty, but it does have that functional diver's instrument look. You could take this watch diving unlike some other desk-divers.
Last edited by warpdrive on Oct 26th, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10055 posts
6107 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: To be fair, a Rolex is both a really nice watch and an investment...
Can't say I have experience with a Rolex. There's one passed down to me from the 70s...but it's just not what I like aesthetically. (I politely said that I'll take it when I turn 60...not sure if that sounded polite though)

Watches, 'niceness', some are, some aren't...and I tend to look at them on a per-watch basis...not by brand.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10055 posts
6107 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: Right, you shouldn't pick a watch on resale value. Even with Omegas, outside the Moonwatch and maybe a handful of models, the used prices drop quickly

Marathon are popular because of their credibility as tool watches. After all, if they are standard issue for US soldiers, they must hold up.

Having said that, you are best off buying the regular GSAR model, that is the actual watch that is issued for US Government. it's reasonably priced for a watch with some kind of legacy and its build quality is good for its $1K-ish price. I don't think it's particularly pretty, but it does have that functional diver's instrument look. You could take this watch diving unlike some other desk-divers.
Yeah, 1k-ish is more of my budget. This watch in the OP isn't for me...but thought it's a discount nonetheless.
Jul 17, 2018
403 posts
354 upvotes
That's a terrible price for a 7750. No marathon is worth that much money. I've owned a few over the years and they're good watches but definitely not worth it above $2.5k
Jan 25, 2020
54 posts
138 upvotes
If your primary goal is to make money off buying a watch, I suggest you buy VFV or VGRO instead.
Oct 21, 2006
511 posts
297 upvotes
Saukrates wrote: My $30 Timex looks better than this and 99.99% of the population can't tell the difference between that and this. What an utter waste of money.
Timex Ironman here, I paid like $75 and loving every minute of it.
Jul 14, 2008
176 posts
361 upvotes
like the watch or not, this is a deal website. the watch is not a good deal from either the resell/ investment (in comparison to similar priced watches as listed in the thread), nor is the deal good from FX exchange perspective.

it is further not a good deal from the "Utility" value buyer (ie. timex/ casio) folks.

conclusion: not a good deal

edit: watch sold by bestbuy? can't be a good deal.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14327 posts
5513 upvotes
Ottawa
hassy wrote: edit: watch sold by bestbuy? can't be a good deal.
Better tell the people in this thread then best-buy-citizen-eco-drive-chandler-43m ... 9-2412979/
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Nov 18, 2010
617 posts
264 upvotes
Vancouver
For a chronograph , save up for a Daytona.
Dressy, sporty and very comfortable.
It's a bit more money, but the market price keeps going up.
Images
  • Daytona Sun - 800a.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4019 posts
268 upvotes
iPhoneSTER wrote: For a chronograph , save up for a Daytona.
Dressy, sporty and very comfortable.
It's a bit more money, but the market price keeps going up.
$4,249 vs $15,500 is a bit more money?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)