Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16944 posts
9018 upvotes
Ottawa

[Best Buy] Martin Logan ESL electrostatic hybrids speakers $782 EACH

Another hot deal for electrostatic audiophile quality speakers.

Normally $2500 USD a pair, but these are 1,565.90 CAD before taxes.

Some stores may have these in stock, but none in Ottawa. Free delivery though

If I had enough room for these, I would have checked out and THEN posted the deal :)

I have a feeling BestBuy doesn't want to carry this brand anymore as they are regularly putting this brand on sale, this brand used to be a Futureshop exclusive
57 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2615 posts
1901 upvotes
Scarborough
These will need hella power, no? They have electrostatic at BESTBUY?!?!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7091 posts
1586 upvotes
Not just power but the placement is critical for this type of speakers. So, not for everyone but good deal.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16944 posts
9018 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, basically if you don’t have a way to place these at least 3-4 feet from the walls and have a good amp, forget about them.

These really shine in a medium to large room with some room treatment with good source and amps, so you guys with your Lepai amps need not apply.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6139 posts
2880 upvotes
Cornwall PE
skinnydoggy wrote: These will need hella power, no? They have electrostatic at BESTBUY?!?!
At 91 db at 1 watt per meter most any receiver will power these speakers louder than you should be listening at. And they have been selling martin logans for years at fs and bb now. Though placement is important for the very best sound, these will still sound amazing placed in the usual manner.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2615 posts
1901 upvotes
Scarborough
I've always assumed electrostatic required 300w monoblocks lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7162 posts
1811 upvotes
BC
skinnydoggy wrote: I've always assumed electrostatic required 300w monoblocks lol
This one's a hybrid (woofer in the base) which is why the efficiency is good, but you still need lots of power for full electrostatic speakers like Magnepans.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16944 posts
9018 upvotes
Ottawa
betamaxman wrote:At 91 db at 1 watt per meter most any receiver will power these speakers louder than you should be listening at. And they have been selling martin logans for years at fs and bb now. Though placement is important for the very best sound, these will still sound amazing placed in the usual manner.
the problem is these speaker have impedance that dips down to 2 ohms which is quite a difficult load (as measured by S&V mag)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3712 posts
2027 upvotes
The beefy amp requirement is one of the likely reasons BB is finally getting rid of these. Just imagine all the electrostatic units coming back alongside a PoS Sony Receiver that someone bought together with the speakers, thinking they'd achieve synergy...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2003
7207 posts
1189 upvotes
London
Kwirky wrote: This one's a hybrid (woofer in the base) which is why the efficiency is good, but you still need lots of power for full electrostatic speakers like Magnepans.
Magnepans are NOT ESL they are planars. Very, VERY different.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6139 posts
2880 upvotes
Cornwall PE
warpdrive wrote: the problem is these speaker have impedance that dips down to 2 ohms which is quite a difficult load (as measured by S&V mag)
Depends at what frequencies that it might dip towards 2 ohms. If at high frequencies not so bad. Gosh haven't read s&v in ages.
From martin logan

"Will amplifiers rated at 6 or 8 ohms work with MartinLogan electrostatic speakers?

All MartinLogan speakers are compatible with receivers rated at 4, 6 or 8 ohms. We have tested several mainstream, high quality receivers and have found all are more than capable of driving 4 ohm speakers. The limitations of an amplifier rated at 6 or 8 ohms only becomes obvious at extremely high sound volumes over a very extended time period. For most every other application an amplifier rated at 6 or 8 ohms will perform perfectly with MartinLogan speakers."

http://www.martinlogan.com/learn/faq-electrostatic.php
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16944 posts
9018 upvotes
Ottawa
betamaxman wrote: Depends at what frequencies that it might dip towards 2 ohms. If at high frequencies not so bad. Gosh haven't read s&v in ages.
From martin logan

"Will amplifiers rated at 6 or 8 ohms work with MartinLogan electrostatic speakers?

All MartinLogan speakers are compatible with receivers rated at 4, 6 or 8 ohms. We have tested several mainstream, high quality receivers and have found all are more than capable of driving 4 ohm speakers. The limitations of an amplifier rated at 6 or 8 ohms only becomes obvious at extremely high sound volumes over a very extended time period. For most every other application an amplifier rated at 6 or 8 ohms will perform perfectly with MartinLogan speakers."

http://www.martinlogan.com/learn/faq-electrostatic.php
I can't tell what the where the lowest impedance is for this particular speaker on the S&V website because they omitted the graph that would have been published in the print mag.

A few pure electrostatics have their lowest impedance at the lowest and highest frequencies and are a highly capacitive impedance. This one is a hybrid, so it should be an easier resistive load in the bass frequencies. I would definitely still aim to pair these speakers with something that is well rated in the 4-6 ohm range since it's likely that you are putting these kinds of speakers in a large room (due to the placement requirements).

In their FAQ they did specify "mainstream high quality receiver" can drive these speakers, so I assume that rules out your average $300 BestBuy Doorcrasher.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2008
1104 posts
89 upvotes
Fantastic speakers. I have a pair as well as Summit X's... I use these for rears now. Before I moved them to the theatre room, when I had them in the bedroom setup, they required a fair bit of space away from the wall, and proper placement to sound surreal... but once setup properly, oh my god, amazing.... Not a problem to run them on a higher end AVR like Marantz SR7007. 7008, 7009 or Anthem MRX-510, or 710.... But they do flourish with a good power amp rated at 300 RMS at 8 ohms... I don't think they dip to 2 ohms as frequently as the Summit X's do but still possible... rated 6ohm amp will be okay. Not a bad deal at all.
Aug 16, 2010
385 posts
187 upvotes
These ML sound amazing when setup properly. I recently purchased a pair of vintage Magnepan SMG from someone who replaced them with this set. These have got me hooked on planar speakers. He did have a couple 8" subs in the mix to compensate for the the lows. For this price I may have to make a trip to best buy. Are there any budget friendly 4 ohm amps out there?

Also, if you're in or around Vancouver tomorrow there is a vintage audio yard sale in Surrey at Innovative Audio:
http://www.iavscanada.com/8th-annual-au ... rage-sale/
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2009
1200 posts
826 upvotes
I do wish I had an extra $1500 sitting around burning a hole in my pocket.. Seems like an exceptionally good deal for this quality of speaker that is usually not available at deep discount prices.
Oct 26, 2003
23 posts
Kitchener
kopokipi wrote: its oos online
Back in Stock as of 2pm EDT. Got myself a pair, so there are 6 in stock as of now.
Feb 27, 2005
590 posts
21 upvotes
And it's OOS again, hard to believe people are hoarding electrostatic speakers.

I ordered a pair on Saturday but have not heard back from BB at all. Are they going to flake out on the deal?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20087 posts
8010 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
unknownone wrote: I do wish I had an extra $1500 sitting around burning a hole in my pocket.. Seems like an exceptionally good deal for this quality of speaker that is usually not available at deep discount prices.
Every mass produced speaker is available at deep discount prices eventually, as the retail margin on them is like furniture... crazy large.

I love audio equipment threads on the internet with all the pseudofacts and black magic. Who's got the most expensive speaker wire here I wonder. :P
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16944 posts
9018 upvotes
Ottawa
BinaryJay wrote: Every mass produced speaker is available at deep discount prices eventually, as the retail margin on them is like furniture... crazy large.
I think this is a case where BB is clearing them out because they don't want to carry these. Likely pricing them at cost. It's not like the average joe walks into a BB looking for electrostatics. Once they are gone they are gone. I've never seen these kind of speakers go for this cheap.

And these are excellent sounding speakers if you can make effective use out of them...and no fancy wires are needed either

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)