Feb 13, 2012
12529 posts
3076 upvotes
VANCOUVER
fightbriz wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 2:36 am
Sorry I didn't quite understand.

Order prepaid bell sim for $1 on eBay.
What do you mean "ask for imei at time of order" (from the sim seller?)? Since the imei is attached to the phone, not the sim.

Then I call Bell and port the Koodo number over to that prepaid sim. And I don't need to load the Bell sim with any money? So I don't even need to cancel it?
I think he meant the sim #, not the IMEI #. Yes, you'd call Bell to port your Koodo # over, but giving them the sim #. Your Koodo account will be cancelled almost immediately after porting.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4732 posts
1176 upvotes
Toronto
Rogido wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 2:44 am
I think he meant the sim #, not the IMEI #. Yes, you'd call Bell to port your Koodo # over, but giving them the sim #. Your Koodo account will be cancelled almost immediately after porting.
Thanks, so get the sim number from eBay seller, then even without the actual sim, just call bell and all I need is the sim number to port right? And I don't have to load any money.

Even with prepaid, I will still have to setup a new Bell account over the phone right (like name and address, etc etc)... Besides the sim number, will they ever ask me to do anything where I actually need the physical sim in hand?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1497 posts
648 upvotes
Quebec
Says OOS both online and in-store, is the deal still readily available?
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
12529 posts
3076 upvotes
VANCOUVER
fightbriz wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 3:02 am
Thanks, so get the sim number from eBay seller, then even without the actual sim, just call bell and all I need is the sim number to port right? And I don't have to load any money.

Even with prepaid, I will still have to setup a new Bell account over the phone right (like name and address, etc etc)... Besides the sim number, will they ever ask me to do anything where I actually need the physical sim in hand?
If it's prepaid, you don't need a Bell account. They shouldn't need your name, address, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9256 posts
3899 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
fightbriz wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 2:36 am
Sorry I didn't quite understand.

Order prepaid bell sim for $1 on eBay.
What do you mean "ask for imei at time of order" (from the sim seller?)? Since the imei is attached to the phone, not the sim.

Then I call Bell and port the Koodo number over to that prepaid sim. And I don't need to load the Bell sim with any money? So I don't even need to cancel it?
Ask for the bell SIM card number from the eBay seller.
You dont need to call bell, you can do it online. No you dont need to load any money.
Once you port to bell it automatically cancels the Koodo
Koodo $40 8GB
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1256 posts
807 upvotes
Toronto
kotoula wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 2:30 am
How does the S8 compare to the Huawei P20 Pro? Camera wise and Battery life?
S8 is a early 2017 flagship, and P20 Pro is a 2018; - So not a fair comparison, I think P20 Pro will be better in any aspect, except the Brand - which most of people will prefer Samsung over the majority of other Android manufacturers, and more than a few will have a grudge against Huawei (due to recent cases), but taking it aside, I think it's a fair win for P20 Pro

S8 Battery is 3000mAh, while P20 Pro is 4000mAh
Camera is hard to beat P20 Pro, as it was one of the very first mobiles to sport the triple lens.

P20 Pro also have more memory and storage (although you can add a microSD on S8).
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1458 posts
227 upvotes
Calgary
neonic wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 3:49 pm
S8 is a early 2017 flagship, and P20 Pro is a 2018; - So not a fair comparison, I think P20 Pro will be better in any aspect, except the Brand - which most of people will prefer Samsung over the majority of other Android manufacturers, and more than a few will have a grudge against Huawei (due to recent cases), but taking it aside, I think it's a fair win for P20 Pro

S8 Battery is 3000mAh, while P20 Pro is 4000mAh
Camera is hard to beat P20 Pro, as it was one of the very first mobiles to sport the triple lens.

P20 Pro also have more memory and storage (although you can add a microSD on S8).
Fair point. The P20 Pro has no micro SD card so storage is limited. Also no headphone jack. But that camera.....
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10774 posts
665 upvotes
Scarborough
Got the S8 this afternoon. Good enough for he price and the gift card will be useful to pay off the tab or buy some accessories
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
12529 posts
3076 upvotes
VANCOUVER
kotoula wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 5:00 pm
Fair point. The P20 Pro has no micro SD card so storage is limited. Also no headphone jack. But that camera.....
With 128GB internal storage, I would argue 95% of the population would not need a micro SD card.
Aug 24, 2014
197 posts
200 upvotes
Rogido wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 10:21 pm
With 128GB internal storage, I would argue 95% of the population would not need a micro SD card.
That's a terrible mindset to have.
According to that logic, 95% of the population does not need 5.8inch screen. 95% of the population does not need >1080p screen. 95% of the population does not need 12core cpu on their phone. 95% of the population does not need x or y
You could literally call first iPhone the best phone if you use that logic.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
12529 posts
3076 upvotes
VANCOUVER
lcyCold wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 11:36 pm
That's a terrible mindset to have.
According to that logic, 95% of the population does not need 5.8inch screen. 95% of the population does not need >1080p screen. 95% of the population does not need 12core cpu on their phone. 95% of the population does not need x or y
You could literally call first iPhone the best phone if you use that logic.
Huh? I'm speechless. That's as out to lunch a post as I've seen in a long time.
Aug 24, 2014
197 posts
200 upvotes
Rogido wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 11:48 pm
Huh? I'm speechless. That's as out to lunch a post as I've seen in a long time.
Ah sorry I didnt get my point clear. What I'm saying is that that "95% of the population would not need a micro SD card" excuse is just not valid and shouldn't be accepted so easily. Being featureless is not a good thing. In this case, lack of MicroSD is bad regardless if 95% uses them or not.
Manufaturers started removing main features and twisted them as if it was beneficial to consumers. Removing MicroSD and headphone jack and somehow it's beneficial to consumers? Where's the upgradability option.
Exact same situation happend with swappable batteries. You have to completely buy a new phone ever since manufaturers started gluing backplates. People started accepting them because "it's OK because x company is offering bigger batteries and 95% of population does not need swappable batteries"
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1492 posts
551 upvotes
TBD
Beware, S8 suffers from spontaneous screen cracks (google it). Happened to me, no drop or any impact to the screen yet it cracked. ~$300 to repair, needless to say the screen is still cracked.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
12529 posts
3076 upvotes
VANCOUVER
lcyCold wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 12:13 am
Ah sorry I didnt get my point clear. What I'm saying is that that "95% of the population would not need a micro SD card" excuse is just not valid and shouldn't be accepted so easily. Being featureless is not a good thing. In this case, lack of MicroSD is bad regardless if 95% uses them or not.
Manufaturers started removing main features and twisted them as if it was beneficial to consumers. Removing MicroSD and headphone jack and somehow it's beneficial to consumers? Where's the upgradability option.
Exact same situation happend with swappable batteries. You have to completely buy a new phone ever since manufaturers started gluing backplates. People started accepting them because "it's OK because x company is offering bigger batteries and 95% of population does not need swappable batteries"
Everything comes at a cost. Sure, if it were all free, I'd take 512GB internal + expandable storage, waterproof rating, headphone jack, and all the other goodies. But since cost is a factor, if a phone has 128GB internal or more, than I'm saying expandable storage is not a big concern to most users. Actually, when my phone comes with 64GB internal, I don't even bother sticking in a memory card. I know lots of people perfectly happy with 32GB internal! Heck, I know lots of folks who don't even fill up 128GB on their computers, nevermind their phones!! Face With Tears Of Joy So, I still stand by my original statement, which is a commentary on expandable memory only: For the vast majority of users, 128GB of storage is plenty.
Last edited by Rogido on Mar 4th, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.