[Best Buy Mobile] [BestBuy] Samsung S8 $0 on Koodo Tab Med + $200 GC

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2019 2:07 pm
Nov 22, 2017
64 posts
53 upvotes
lmgnid wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 1:37 am
Thanks, in for one. BTW, here are other promotions in Bestbuy for Koodo.
The iPhone 6 deal! They're literally paying you over $100 to take an iPhone 6! LOL!!!
Mar 18, 2011
607 posts
215 upvotes
Pickering
grayhal wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 7:49 pm
I really don't understand why anyone would do that. You do buy things like tooth paste, toilet paper and tonnes of other things you don't eat. I get that some people won't buy their groceries from Walmart but Walmart majority of time is cheapest for pretty much everything and on top of that you can PM. WM GCs are pretty much money back in your pocket..

Simple, although you make a good point that Walmart of all places would actually be beneficial to keep your gift card instead of purchasing another... in my particular case though, I use it for gas. With gas I get exact rounded dollar amounts, and I use them up rather quickly (I drive a Subaru WRX). So not only do I not have to worry about any remaining balances that is too small to purchase anything, but I also use it rather quickly for something I need.
Dec 19, 2011
136 posts
50 upvotes
Hamilton
Does anyone know if Best Buy is able to process an upgrade on the MB plan if you're in Ontario?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1898 posts
863 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Marauder2 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 12:36 pm
Does anyone know if Best Buy is able to process an upgrade on the MB plan if you're in Ontario?
Never go into any store or never call customer service to get phone upgrades if your plan is from another province with an Ontario phone number. They can easily flag your account and Koodo will change your plan to an Ontario plan. Best way to do phone upgrade is always Koodo Self serve.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1240 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Is it true if you have an existing koodo line, you don't need to wait or call to go directly into 3 months temp suspension
Member since 2006

Koodo- $40/8gb
Curren phone: Samsung S9
Jun 6, 2015
950 posts
400 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Richard1986 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 10:36 pm
Simple, although you make a good point that Walmart of all places would actually be beneficial to keep your gift card instead of purchasing another... in my particular case though, I use it for gas. With gas I get exact rounded dollar amounts, and I use them up rather quickly (I drive a Subaru WRX). So not only do I not have to worry about any remaining balances that is too small to purchase anything, but I also use it rather quickly for something I need.
Same with me, except I drive a Wrangler so I use it up even faster
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
8556 posts
2779 upvotes
Toronto
Marauder2 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 12:36 pm
They probably will upgrade u to a in market plan from ON. This deal is for new activations anyway I believe
Koodo $40/8GB
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11777 posts
2594 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Is this still in stock? It seems every phone on their website is OOS! lol
Nov 13, 2017
37 posts
61 upvotes
Rogido wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 1:12 pm
I had a terrible experience yesterday at BestBuy Metro town. The 1st staff told me that the S8 was in stock after checking the system, and then the 2nd staff had me wait for nearly 1 hour, and then the 3rd staff came and told me that they were out of stock.

Liars.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10739 posts
650 upvotes
Scarborough
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 6:35 pm
So the S8 is a great phone, no question, but I don't like the pump and dump strategies employed here. It's playing games with your credit. I also don't like the 'let it die' strategy, as it sounds like another scheme to minorly screw over your credit.

Do you folks not want to build your income generating asset base? It often takes good credit, so be reasonable.
It's probably very few people who are doing this (making multiple accounts over a short period of time to sell off the phone).
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1301 posts
147 upvotes
Re: S9
nickctn wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 8:57 pm
If you were to buy it now, get it on tab large 0$ +480 tab and you get 100$ gift card.
I think this is still a respectable deal for the S9, but knowing that it was offered at $0 down on medium tab with $150 GC during Boxing week makes it hard to buy right now. Hoping that a similar deal will come out shortly, even if not as hot as the BD deal.
Dec 15, 2017
20 posts
6 upvotes
Does it hurt your credit score if you open an account with koodo and cancel it the next day? Even if you pay out your tab in full?
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10739 posts
650 upvotes
Scarborough
Eyesman27 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 2:03 pm
Does it hurt your credit score if you open an account with koodo and cancel it the next day? Even if you pay out your tab in full?
Yes. They do a hard credit check to see if you can even have a line. If you actually need the line, its probably not a big deal. If you are doing this to get phones to resell, then it will hurt.
Mar 18, 2011
607 posts
215 upvotes
Pickering
Rogido wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 1:12 pm
Churners. Word of mouth.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1997 posts
1592 upvotes
gmih7470 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 5:23 pm
THERE IT IS! I thought it was obvious that I was using numbers you see on paper and not all included taxes, fees etc. We're not talking hundreds of dollars difference here. Add around 20 bucks and it's still well under $300 for a brand new S9. *. And NO wow mobile did NOT charge prepaid credit card fees. You're making a huge deal for like 20 bucks? *
You weren't "using numbers you see on paper", because you didn't even mention $150 GC and $210 isn't the cost of anything. If you were using numbers on paper, you would have simply said $360 for device, $150 GC and $35 activation fee. What was "obvious", is exactly what I said, that you subtracted the GC amount from the $360 to arrive at a $210 figure, but omitted that this was after you directly deducted the GC value and without accounting for tax.

I thought it was obvious the activation fee I was talking about was using the BB GC to purchase a CC.

I'm not making "a huge deal", just clarifying. You're the one making "a huge deal" about it. This is RFD, people care about "like $20 bucks". It is also more than $20 to those who don't consider a GC the same as cash. There's no harm in clarifying what the actual costs are. This is nothing new, people have posted clarification for how these costs are in prior threads all the time because some members post the way you do and it confuses others who want accurate numbers. I got 3 upvotes for my post so at least 3 people found it helpful.

Last edited by MrDisco on Mar 6th, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited