[Best Buy Mobile] iPhone XR

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 10:34 pm
[OP]
Jan 19, 2019
9 posts
18 upvotes

[Best Buy Mobile] iPhone XR

Hi, go a bit easy if I made any mistakes.
I got iPhone XR 64 gb with Virgin Mobile $50 plan 9gb and $20 for the phone for 2 years. Got $150 Best buy card + took geek squad warranty (I will cancell after 3 months) free Zagg glass screen protector and additional $100 best buy card.
Last edited by Jaspreet81 on Aug 30th, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2011
1302 posts
3966 upvotes
So $480 + tax for the phone - $250 in gift cards + whatever the cost of the geek squad coverage = not bad. What are the plan details?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6195 posts
5353 upvotes
Calgary
Is the extra gift card because you signed up for geek squad?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1716 posts
9158 upvotes
Device balance shows $820 still, so unless I’m misunderstanding a part of this deal, there’s no way to sign up & cancel/port out and get a deal. Have to stick for the full 24 mo or else you’ll get dinged with the remainder of the $820 for the phone, which is not worth it even after the GCs.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16564 posts
2984 upvotes
Toronto
Leverage wrote: Device balance shows $820 still, so unless I’m misunderstanding a part of this deal, there’s no way to sign up & cancel/port out and get a deal. Have to stick for the full 24 mo or else you’ll get dinged with the remainder of the $820 for the phone, which is not worth it even after the GCs.
Sign up & cancel hasn't been a thing for a while. Koodo was the last to change and did so last August.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1292 posts
958 upvotes
St Catharines
Leverage wrote: Device balance shows $820 still, so unless I’m misunderstanding a part of this deal, there’s no way to sign up & cancel/port out and get a deal. Have to stick for the full 24 mo or else you’ll get dinged with the remainder of the $820 for the phone, which is not worth it even after the GCs.
This is the case with all carriers now, that might be the part you're misunderstanding. If you're going to be paying for the service anyway, might as well take a "discount" on a device.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2594 posts
3526 upvotes
BC
Its an ok deal with the GC's but it would be better to wait for BTS offers and the release of the new iPhones. Last year around this time the XR was $360 thru Koodo, so hopefully we'll see some deals on the iPhone 11.
Dec 24, 2011
353 posts
645 upvotes
NORTH, Canada
Just wait a few weeks for the new iPhones. The model 12 prices will be either the same or lower than the current models, and it expected they will offer more storage capacity for the base models and up, not to mention the other usual tweaks such as camera improvements and a new chip, etc.

And for the fashion tech buyer: the 12 and 12 Pro are also expected to have a slight exterior redesign, meaning all iPhone models prior will once again look dated.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1716 posts
9158 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Sign up & cancel hasn't been a thing for a while. Koodo was the last to change and did so last August.
2kfire wrote: This is the case with all carriers now, that might be the part you're misunderstanding. If you're going to be paying for the service anyway, might as well take a "discount" on a device.
Sorry should have clarified - I’m aware of those changes, but there are still deals to be had with sign up & port-out - this just isn’t one. I expect the carriers to drop their “device balance” total on some older models when the 12 comes out, and with GC that’s when we see warm/hot deals.

Picked up an iPhone SE 2nd Gen with a $200 London Drugs GC, waived activation fee, ported out and paid the $599 (full device balance, no discount) but still came out ahead for a current gen device.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2594 posts
3526 upvotes
BC
Leverage wrote: Picked up an iPhone SE 2nd Gen with a $200 London Drugs GC, waived activation fee, ported out and paid the $599 (full device balance, no discount) but still came out ahead for a current gen device.
Dang when was that? Solid deal, I need to check out LD more often
Aug 15, 2018
404 posts
650 upvotes
Vancouver
RaiderX wrote: Just wait a few weeks for the new iPhones. The model 12 prices will be either the same or lower than the current models, and it expected they will offer more storage capacity for the base models and up, not to mention the other usual tweaks such as camera improvements and a new chip, etc.

And for the fashion tech buyer: the 12 and 12 Pro are also expected to have a slight exterior redesign, meaning all iPhone models prior will once again look dated.
Prices are going up by about 7-9% per unit, and they are shipping without some of the usual accessories for the newer models release in mid October to early november.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2019
9 posts
18 upvotes
Plan is $50 + tax for 9 gb. $13 for geek squad warranty per month that I will cancell after 3 months.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16564 posts
2984 upvotes
Toronto
Leverage wrote: Sorry should have clarified - I’m aware of those changes, but there are still deals to be had with sign up & port-out - this just isn’t one. I expect the carriers to drop their “device balance” total on some older models when the 12 comes out, and with GC that’s when we see warm/hot deals.

Picked up an iPhone SE 2nd Gen with a $200 London Drugs GC, waived activation fee, ported out and paid the $599 (full device balance, no discount) but still came out ahead for a current gen device.
That's a good deal but no London Drugs in Toronto :(
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
2392 posts
1515 upvotes
Montreal
Please add more details to the thread title.
Nov 4, 2014
196 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nexus1172 wrote: Prices are going up by about 7-9% per unit, and they are shipping without some of the usual accessories for the newer models release in mid October to early november.
Just wish they would have some deals this Black Friday or Boxing Day, for the 11s (11 pro or pro max).