• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2019 5:16 pm
[OP]
Jul 16, 2016
121 posts
153 upvotes

[Best Buy Mobile] [Koodo] PXL 4 XL 360 medium tab 200 BB gift card + more

So I got this deal today in Toronto.

There is nothing new about 360 upfront + tab medium for upgrade.

So why would I write about it?

1. BB does apply the trade-in credit for your existing crappy phone BEFORE tax ($50).
- so upfront balance before tax became 310 instead of 360. (360-50)
- the agent was very thorough; he checked the carrier, which is Koodo, and confirmed that the trade-in credit of $50 would be available indeed. (the phone needs to be able to turn on/off YMMV)

2. BB let you pay the upfront balance with your existing BB gift card.
- now, it is your existing gift card, not the one($200) that you are about to receive. Luckily, I already had some gift cards available, so I could pay the balance in full with BB gift card.

3. With the tab medium, there are a few options available in terms of the plans.
- IF YOU DO NOT ADD THE NEW LINE
a. you can either have $45 with 6gig or BB agent can call Koodo to grandfather your existing tab medium plan
b. you can have the currently market available plan ($45 with 2gig) with $10 off for 15 months
- IF YOU ADD THE NEW LINE / NEW ACTIVATION: you can get $10 off for 24 months WITH $45 with 6gig

I personally did not add any line and chose option b for extra $150 credit for next 15 months. (I actually downgraded myself from 4gig plan to 2gig plan)

Now, I sold my existing phone to BB trade-in program.
It was Pixel XL 2 and I got $230 BB gift card back.

Lastly, loyalty knocked off $175 from my existing tab ($150 for tab small upgrade)

So I paid 366.13 upfront with BB gift card.
The breakdown is as follows:
tab: 360 - 50 (crappy phone trade-in)
bb plan:13.99 (the one that you could keep it for 3 months that gives you case + screen; the official google fabric case alone is $50, so not bad)
case: 0.01 (I guess the agent needs to put some value)
protector: 0.01 (same thing)

Subtotal: 324.01
After tax: 366.13

Now I got 200 BB gift card.
(I also got 230 for my pixel 2 XL and I will have $10 off for next 15 months. I also got $175 off from my current tab.)

The only catch is my data became 2 instead of 4, but hey, don't you think this is pretty good?
14 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12243 posts
1974 upvotes
GTA
cannot cancel after buying or 90 days. cold
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12243 posts
1974 upvotes
GTA
moeseo wrote: So I got this deal today in Toronto.

1. BB does apply the trade-in credit for your existing crappy phone BEFORE tax ($50).
- the agent was very thorough; he checked the carrier, which is Koodo, and confirmed that the trade-in credit of $50 would be available indeed. (the phone needs to be able to turn on/off YMMV)

- now, it is your existing gift card, not the one($200) that you are about to receive. Luckily, I already had some gift cards available, so I could pay the balance in full with BB gift card.

3. With the tab medium, there are a few options available in terms of the plans.
a. you can either have $45 with 6gig or BB agent can call Koodo to grandfather your existing tab medium plan
b. you can have the currently market available plan ($45 with 2gig) with $10 off for 15 months
- IF YOU ADD THE NEW LINE / NEW ACTIVATION: you can get $10 off for 24 months WITH $45 with 6gig

I personally did not add any line and chose option b for extra $150 credit for next 15 months. (I actually downgraded myself from 4gig plan to 2gig plan)

Lastly, loyalty knocked off $175 from my existing tab ($150 for tab small upgrade)

bb plan:13.99 (the one that you could keep it for 3 months that gives you case + screen; the official google fabric case alone is $50, so not bad)

(I also got 230 for my pixel 2 XL and I will have $10 off for next 15 months. I also got $175 off from my current tab.)

The only catch is my data became 2 instead of 4, but hey, don't you think this is pretty good?
2gb of data vs 4gb??? that is worst than zoomer.......
Sep 8, 2013
542 posts
177 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
moeseo wrote: So I got this deal today in Toronto.

Does best buy have 45/6gb for new activations?
Jul 6, 2002
561 posts
59 upvotes
Markham
qaz393 wrote: cannot cancel after buying or 90 days. cold
Ditto. I'd like to know how this will be avoided...I just got the P4 from Koodo on an existing line.
Nov 3, 2010
837 posts
757 upvotes
You can't avoid the new rules. They were implemented because of you guys that only look at Koodo deals to try to get flagships at crazy discounted prices (resellers) with no intention of staying.

Yeah, I miss churning too, but it was abused too much.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2016
121 posts
153 upvotes
I only took it for $10 for 15 months credit.
I could've taken 6gig for $45.
a personal choice.
Mar 31, 2010
161 posts
10 upvotes
Sorry got a question. I'm currently on the pm migration $40 for 6 gb plan on a medium tab.

If I add a line for my wife..she can get the 45 for 6gb and the rest of the perks you listed??

Thanks in advance
[OP]
Jul 16, 2016
121 posts
153 upvotes
kci3 wrote: Sorry got a question. I'm currently on the pm migration $40 for 6 gb plan on a medium tab.

If I add a line for my wife..she can get the 45 for 6gb and the rest of the perks you listed??

Thanks in advance
She would get more.
You can have $45 / 6gig with $10 off for 24 months...

Well, I guess theoretically this would be replacing good old multi-line discount, but it still sounds great.
May be I was too optimistic or naive... thx guys TT
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12243 posts
1974 upvotes
GTA
c5ho wrote: Ditto. I'd like to know how this will be avoided...I just got the P4 from Koodo on an existing line.
go do a cancelation before contract over lol
Mar 19, 2006
4 posts
1 upvote
moeseo wrote: She would get more.
You can have $45 / 6gig with $10 off for 24 months...

Well, I guess theoretically this would be replacing good old multi-line discount, but it still sounds great.
May be I was too optimistic or naive... thx guys TT
Did you call loyalty to get the new line added? The best buy salesman told me there is no $45/6G available for them to offer, they only had 1+1 G for $45.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2016
121 posts
153 upvotes
gicu00 wrote: Did you call loyalty to get the new line added? The best buy salesman told me there is no $45/6G available for them to offer, they only had 1+1 G for $45.
That is very interesting.
No, I did not call loyalty or nething, the plans were available and I could see those plans from his screen, also he had this sheets with available plans, perks, and whatnots.
Oct 16, 2016
23 posts
66 upvotes
Confused is this for new activation or current Koodo subscribers?
Mar 21, 2011
538 posts
478 upvotes
Miket85 wrote: Confused is this for new activation or current Koodo subscribers?
Yeah don't quite understand is it a new line, upgrade you have raised more questions than answers