Hot Deals

[Best Buy] MYSA Smart Thermostat for Electric Baseboard Heating $119.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2020 12:41 pm
Jul 11, 2004
892 posts
155 upvotes
For those that own this thermostat, if in the unfortunate circumstance that the company goes bankrupt and their servers disappear, does it render these thermostat as useless? That is can you update the heating schedule? Will monitoring still work on your phone? Can you even change the temperature or turn on or off the thermostat?
Oct 14, 2004
936 posts
246 upvotes
Victoria
growler wrote: For those that own this thermostat, if in the unfortunate circumstance that the company goes bankrupt and their servers disappear, does it render these thermostat as useless? That is can you update the heating schedule? Will monitoring still work on your phone? Can you even change the temperature or turn on or off the thermostat?
The devices have touch control. You can still adjust the set point up/down or off at the unit directly. If you have no internet access (or assuming Mysa goes away and they don't offer an offline solution) you can't use the app to monitor or change the schedule. The units however will continue to maintain their schedule that was previously set with the app as the schedule is maintained on the device. I think worst case scenario if Mysa folds, you can either use your previously set schedule, or do a factory reset on the device and it becomes a manal thermostat.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1246 posts
631 upvotes
macdzich99 wrote: Bought 4 of these last year when they had the Hydro promo. They are fantastic. I use GA, Alexa and Apple HomeKit without issues. Will buy some more. Thanks OP
How much were they back then with the promo?
Oct 14, 2004
936 posts
246 upvotes
Victoria
ktkn wrote: How much were they back then with the promo?
I bought 5 of these for $354.40 all in. Basically this:

Mysa for Electric Baseboard Heaters × 5
Model number: Mysa-V1-1
Manufacturer: Mysa
QUANTITY DISCOUNT (-$20.00)
$695.00
$595.00

Subtotal

$595.00
Shipping

$0.00
PST

$41.65
GST

$29.75
BC Hydro Rebate

-$200.00
Total

$354.40 CAD
Dec 31, 2009
57 posts
22 upvotes
lol ... I was wondering why they were all disappearing from best buy and had a feeling it was an RFD post ... I accidentally came across the best buy sale late yesterday and thought to stroll in today to buy a couple ... all gone in the lower mainland .. paddle across to cowichan if you want one (or order online) ...

**** If purchase direct from Mysa: $40 Fortis BC instant rebate per unit (up to 5) for customers of Fortis BC in Grand Forks, Summerland, Penticton or Nelson Hydro only, purchased between August 7, 2020, and April 30, 2021 ... plus the volume discounts as well ... so a better deal than BB IF you reside in those areas. I couldn't get the hydro rebate to trigger using paypal (apparently it is triggered by postal code when checking out) so I stuck with online purchase at BB.

https://www.getmysa.com/bc-rebates
Last edited by ClutchMan on Sep 19th, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 1, 2015
846 posts
780 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
My girlfriend has these and boy are they HUGE.
Why are they so big for something that just displays a number?
Apr 10, 2019
16 posts
11 upvotes
I paid $283 all in. They work out to be ~ $71 for each unit
Dec 31, 2009
57 posts
22 upvotes
If anyone in vancouver area interested in doing a direct group buy for volume discount and hydro rebate i.e. total of 5 units please PM me ... I only need 2 units
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3439 posts
3554 upvotes
Vancouver
Warning: there's an important spec missing from the BB page. The max capacity of this thermostat is 3800 watts. The current for electric baseboard heaters typically runs through the controlling thermostat, and the thermostat needs to have the capacity to handle it, so carefully check your baseboard heaters against this spec before you install. 3800 watts is a fairly high capacity, but I've personally seen a situation at work where someone had a double-length baseboard heater that was running off a single analog thermostat, and the current draw was way higher than normal for a baseboard heater. When an electronic timer thermostat was installed, it overheated and actually melted gradually over the course of a few days of operation. Only then did anyone think to check the current! It was actually still working after it was replaced, and I snagged it from work. It's a Garrison 3000 watt unit - see photo (it's a little hard to see where it started to melt at the vents, I've drawn an arrow).

Thermostat.jpg
Oct 8, 2010
5 posts
I'd avoid Mysa. Their custom service is horrible, the documentation and support is sketchy. Their return policy is also painful and limited 30 days if you can't get them to work. I'm stuck with 5 that I can't use as a result... Dimplex seems to have a better system that will 100% work.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1657 posts
1227 upvotes
Montréal
BBQPEANUT wrote: My girlfriend has these and boy are they HUGE.
Why are they so big for something that just displays a number?
My biggest peeve with them is exactly that. They could have smacked on an lcd display and made it much more customizeable. At the end of the day they are pretty much supposed to be managed automatically or via your phone
Nov 1, 2015
846 posts
780 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
thesubmitter wrote: My biggest peeve with them is exactly that. They could have smacked on an lcd display and made it much more customizeable. At the end of the day they are pretty much supposed to be managed automatically or via your phone
Like I can understand the size if you're replacing something and you're not sure if it was properly painted underneath, sure.. but a lot of the older thermostats are horizontal... and this thing is hugely vertical.
Jun 24, 2019
7 posts
2 upvotes
Nova Scotia
How did you trigger the Rebate? I've purchased direct from Musa before and the NS rebates we're automatically applied. I'm at the BB checkout with 5 units with address entered and when reviewing, there is no NS rebates applied. At the Mysa checkout the NS rebates is an additional $108 off.