Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

Nanoleaf Light Panels $199.99 w/ free Google Nest Mini

[OP]
Apr 19, 2017
60 posts
119 upvotes

[Best Buy] Nanoleaf Light Panels $199.99 w/ free Google Nest Mini

Kind of a gimmicky thing, but a pretty good deal for an adjustable light panel set when you throw in the free Google Nest Mini with it.
15 replies
Jan 29, 2008
528 posts
271 upvotes
I'm sure I paid about this for the 15 panel version of this (several years ago, also from Bestbuy). Looks like Nanoleaf has discontinued that edition, replacing it with a 15 panel rhythm edition instead ($350 - not on sale). $22/panel is pretty pricey, as you say that may be offset with the nest mini g2 ($70) if that holds value to you. As a piece of art they're nice, but there's a lot more competition in this space (including their own products - they now have three shapes) - Nanoleaf is definitely at the expensive end
May 9, 2015
339 posts
136 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
This is such a cool product, I particularly like their hex-shaped lights.

It is a pity that they are so expensive, I am only willing to pay for about a quarter of their original MRSP price.
https://ca-shop.nanoleaf.me/collections ... marter-kit

Even for a quarter of the price, on that hex set, I get only 7 pieces for $280/4 = 70, which is almost CAD$100. Still expensive.

I can only imagine having that on my whole wall, that would be a party!

EDIT:
the hex ones are just way so cool:
Sep 18, 2007
143 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
Do you guys know of cheaper alternatives
Koodo $40/11GB (6GB + 5GB Bonus)
Oct 9, 2010
650 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
dsforsaken wrote: Do you guys know of cheaper alternatives
Boxing day was $150 or find those YMMV HD clearance deals
Jan 29, 2005
495 posts
150 upvotes
Thanks OP, this is an interesting product. Does anyone know if the panels are bright enough to be used to illuminate a room? I'd be interested to know how many watts they can produce.

On that note, it's worth noting the power use of these things: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nanoleaf/comme ... nanoleafs/
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
11343 posts
8789 upvotes
Toronto
dsforsaken wrote: Do you guys know of cheaper alternatives
I've been using a tabletop one called Cololight for the last year, about $50 for a set of 3 on Aliexpress. Scratched my itch for cool lighting on a much smaller scale.

Last edited by Angultra on Jul 30th, 2020 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
2920 posts
5050 upvotes
Toronto
^gUrU wrote: I'm sure I paid about this for the 15 panel version of this (several years ago, also from Bestbuy). Looks like Nanoleaf has discontinued that edition, replacing it with a 15 panel rhythm edition instead ($350 - not on sale). $22/panel is pretty pricey, as you say that may be offset with the nest mini g2 ($70) if that holds value to you. As a piece of art they're nice, but there's a lot more competition in this space (including their own products - they now have three shapes) - Nanoleaf is definitely at the expensive end
I am having a hard time selling my nest mini 2nd for $30 on kijiji.. Face With Tears Of Joy
Jan 29, 2008
528 posts
271 upvotes
edbert wrote: Thanks OP, this is an interesting product. Does anyone know if the panels are bright enough to be used to illuminate a room? I'd be interested to know how many watts they can produce.

On that note, it's worth noting the power use of these things: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nanoleaf/comme ... nanoleafs/
They're very bright, at full brightness (it's adjustable): uncomfortable to look at in a dark room, or very visible in a sunlit room. Each piece is an even colour (presumably some clever etching inside to channel the edge LEDs). I can't see how there's phantom from each panel, but the wifi driver and on board computer is always on (to listen for wifi commands but also to follow any schedules you've setup). The driver gets very hot. I wouldn't be surprised if the square or hexagon panels have an improved design (given they're newer)
May 9, 2015
339 posts
136 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Angultra wrote: I've been using a tabletop one called Cololight for the last year, about $50 for a set of 3 on Aliexpress. Scratched my itch for cool lighting on a much smaller scale.
this is the link from Aliexpress to buy it.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33019398983.html

I would like 7 pieces to form a proper hexagon, preferably nine pieces to do what's in their promo video.
http://www.cololight.com/video/promotionalVideo.mp4

Price is still steep to get many pieces, even with this cheaper brand. I will wait until price comes down further. Looks very nice though.
Aug 2, 2018
16 posts
15 upvotes
Got these as a gift. They are bright enough to illuminate a room and can be used to adjust the temperature and brightness as well.

Its not a necessity but it's pretty cool to be able to pair it with a google nest/amazon and tell it to adjust to different brightness's and temperatures
Jul 7, 2007
237 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
I had my homedepot price match and beat BB's sale price by 10%.
Jan 29, 2005
495 posts
150 upvotes
bwk20 wrote: I had my homedepot price match and beat BB's sale price by 10%.
Did you get a free google nest mini then?
[OP]
Apr 19, 2017
60 posts
119 upvotes
I just received mine from my online order, in case anyone is wondering it does include the rhythm module although it looks like the free google mini deal has expired.
Jan 29, 2005
495 posts
150 upvotes
This deal is on still till the 6th
best-buy-nanoleaf-9pc-starter-kit-addit ... #p32923672

You get a little more nanoleaf area for your dollar (ignoring the value of the nest mini) but you have to buy more and it's the square shape instead of the triangle. The squares are a bit newer model and have a touch sensitive (gimmick?) and can be connected off center (useful).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)