Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

Neato Robotics Botvac D4 $299

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2021 9:31 pm
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, check out RFD Reviews' roundup of the best robot vacuums!
22 replies
Member
User avatar
Jun 6, 2018
303 posts
226 upvotes
This or shark R100? I have seen one at the same price point at local Walmart. R100 is one without the external vac storage tho
Newbie
Apr 14, 2010
30 posts
17 upvotes
Waterloo
I have the D8, the newer model... and it's a great vacuum, but everything else kind of sucks. There's no warning when the canister thing is full which is annoying (the vacuum doesn't really do anything if it's full guys!). The map feature only supports 1 map at a time, and the vacuum can't handle multiple floors if you have a map saved, so it's only good if you have one floor to use it on - all of the extra features like "no-go zones" are entirely useless.
Newbie
Dec 31, 2008
40 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Bought one during Black Friday last year at the same price and been using it ever since. Not too many complaints except during set-up it was a bit finnicky with our network. Had troubles setting up and maintaining a connection with the Shaw Hitron router due to 2.4/5ghz network and how the handover works (IIRC the Neato D4 requires a 2.4ghz connection).

As for the bin notification above -- I do get a notification on my phone if the dust bin is full and it will finish it's current run. If you don't empty it after that, then it will not do the next scheduled run.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 12, 2017
699 posts
2080 upvotes
christapo wrote: I have the D8, the newer model... and it's a great vacuum, but everything else kind of sucks. There's no warning when the canister thing is full which is annoying (the vacuum doesn't really do anything if it's full guys!). The map feature only supports 1 map at a time, and the vacuum can't handle multiple floors if you have a map saved, so it's only good if you have one floor to use it on - all of the extra features like "no-go zones" are entirely useless.
this is weird. D6 has supported multi-floor maps already. assume D8 should be more advanced than D6.
Newbie
Apr 14, 2010
30 posts
17 upvotes
Waterloo
redondo2017 wrote: this is weird. D6 has supported multi-floor maps already. assume D8 should be more advanced than D6.
It weirdly isn't, they made a new app for it and it sucks.
Newbie
Jun 17, 2013
52 posts
Is this any better than those aliexpress alternatives for around the same price? Some of these cheaper robo vacs have mopping functions/quiet modes/edge brushes etc.

Xiaomi Mijia 1C/1S
Neatsvor X600
Abir X6
Liectroux C30B
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 12, 2017
699 posts
2080 upvotes
CoMyGod wrote: Is this any better than those aliexpress alternatives for around the same price? Some of these cheaper robo vacs have mopping functions/quiet modes/edge brushes etc.

Xiaomi Mijia 1C/1S
Neatsvor X600
Abir X6
Liectroux C30B
do you get warranty from them?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1751 upvotes
I hate this vacumn with a passion.

Just buy a Xiaomi. I have the original MI robot that I bought for 300$ years ago, and it has better battery life, better mapping, better app (and even better the app is optional)

D4 has a bunch of stupid software restrictions in it, and in my case, my virtual walls need to be reset on a weekly basis.

Currently my D4 doesn't even turn on anymore. No clue what happened, but doesn't turn on after the battery died.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1005 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PerformingAzura wrote: I hate this vacumn with a passion.

Just buy a Xiaomi. I have the original MI robot that I bought for 300$ years ago, and it has better battery life, better mapping, better app (and even better the app is optional)

D4 has a bunch of stupid software restrictions in it, and in my case, my virtual walls need to be reset on a weekly basis.

Currently my D4 doesn't even turn on anymore. No clue what happened, but doesn't turn on after the battery died.
Can't I buy two d4s for the price of one Xiaomi?

I've always wanted a Xiaomi vacuum but it's so expensive to get here
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1768 posts
1304 upvotes
FrugalConsumer wrote: Can't I buy two d4s for the price of one Xiaomi?

I've always wanted a Xiaomi vacuum but it's so expensive to get here
Can't you buy two Hyundai for the price of one BMW? Sure, but enjoyment is not additive
Sr. Member
Jul 18, 2014
696 posts
1459 upvotes
Tillsonburg ON
PerformingAzura wrote: I hate this vacumn with a passion.

Just buy a Xiaomi. I have the original MI robot that I bought for 300$ years ago, and it has better battery life, better mapping, better app (and even better the app is optional)

D4 has a bunch of stupid software restrictions in it, and in my case, my virtual walls need to be reset on a weekly basis.

Currently my D4 doesn't even turn on anymore. No clue what happened, but doesn't turn on after the battery died.
you can buy a new battery on amazon, kind of price though. I have a D3 and love it but after it finish vacuuming i always shut it off, because it seems like it's constantly charging. when it charges to 100% it starts to loss the charge pretty fast to the 90% then charges back up. when i turn it off the battery holds the charge and isn't constantly charging.
Last edited by pman113 on Aug 31st, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1005 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto, ON
elfion wrote: Can't you buy two Hyundai for the price of one BMW? Sure, but enjoyment is not additive
Good example when my Kia is miles more fun than a 3/4 series while costing the same if not 10k less, with the added benefit of being more reliable.

The only issue I have with my D3 is that it cuts wifi sometimes and comes back when it wants (after a day or two). Otherwise, it does the job well for hardwood floors. I can't see the benefit of going through the trouble of getting Xiaomi with shipping prices at all time highs right now.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2003
15096 posts
1496 upvotes
Markham
wifi is indeed finicky... the neato bots do not support FAST ROAMING (if your mesh network has it, it may not connect reliably)

my D4 works better than my shark auto-empty, but i find myself using the auto-empty more because of the auto-empty... i hate cleaning the D4 dust bin and filter, it's really poorly designed
ShadowVlican
Member
Apr 27, 2007
338 posts
335 upvotes
I have this from the last sale. Worked well for us all this time. Used to run once a week since then.

- Battery issues? Hmm... none here yet or it just goes back to the dock to charge then continues anyways I thought?
- Only drawback is the 1 floor map but for my upstairs I just let it roam without setting any no-go lines. Seemed pretty cheap for how much I get out of it.

Not sure if anything else better these days for the price point but while life gets busy, this gadget helps keep me sane (and house relatively cleaner)
IG @sickickschik
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2009
849 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
where can someone buy a xiaomi roborock vacuum for a reasonable price?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
191 upvotes
Oakville
I have a D3 (which is basically a D4 but without side brush), it is on sale in Walmart for $250 for a few months now.

Was thinking/reading/watching videos about alternatives a LOT (various irobots, roborocks, sharks, as well as same price or cheaper alternatives like ilife etc), but decided that I dont want to pay double-triple-quad the price for some nice features, which probably I wouldnt really benefit from, while I actually want a solid device which has good quality in general, and easy repairable if anything. But that is me.

If this was on sale when I was on the market - I would probably pay extra $50 for a side brush and get a D4.

No major issues so far

- have no issues with wifi (but I've read a bit about possible causes with wifi problems on these robots, and it is sitting on my dedicated wifi subnet which has non of these)
- battery life is relatively short, but who cares because it can continue?
- clean bin alert is actually coming to smartphone
- single map is not a problem, as i bought it for my main floor only

So - good deal, IMO.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1751 upvotes
FrugalConsumer wrote: Can't I buy two d4s for the price of one Xiaomi?

I've always wanted a Xiaomi vacuum but it's so expensive to get here
I got my original xiaomi off some Chinese site years ago (geek buy or gear best) for 300$ CAD. I was not charged import fee.
pman113 wrote: you can buy a new battery on amazon, kind of price though. I have a D3 and love it but after it finish vacuuming i always shut it off, because it seems like it's constantly charging. when it charges to 100% it starts to loss the charge pretty fast to the 90% then charges back up. when i turn it off the battery holds the charge and isn't constantly charging.
My vacuum has less than 6 months of use.

It's either not charging or bricked
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2004
1189 posts
710 upvotes
mississauga, Ontario
KosMos wrote: I have a D3 (which is basically a D4 but without side brush), it is on sale in Walmart for $250 for a few months now.

Was thinking/reading/watching videos about alternatives a LOT (various irobots, roborocks, sharks, as well as same price or cheaper alternatives like ilife etc), but decided that I dont want to pay double-triple-quad the price for some nice features, which probably I wouldnt really benefit from, while I actually want a solid device which has good quality in general, and easy repairable if anything. But that is me.

If this was on sale when I was on the market - I would probably pay extra $50 for a side brush and get a D4.

No major issues so far

- have no issues with wifi (but I've read a bit about possible causes with wifi problems on these robots, and it is sitting on my dedicated wifi subnet which has non of these)
- battery life is relatively short, but who cares because it can continue?
- clean bin alert is actually coming to smartphone
- single map is not a problem, as i bought it for my main floor only

So - good deal, IMO.
I don't think D4 has side brush
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1768 posts
1304 upvotes
FrugalConsumer wrote: Good example when my Kia is miles more fun than a 3/4 series while costing the same if not 10k less, with the added benefit of being more reliable.

The only issue I have with my D3 is that it cuts wifi sometimes and comes back when it wants (after a day or two). Otherwise, it does the job well for hardwood floors. I can't see the benefit of going through the trouble of getting Xiaomi with shipping prices at all time highs right now.
Please. I test drove stinger. It's nothing special. In any case, I don't care if you like Kia, it's your preference. But Xiaomi is the best on the market. Nothing beats it.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)