Boxing Day 2019 Discussion

Best buy Nest Hello w Nest mini or Ring Pro w Chime Pro and Echo?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2019 12:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2009
17580 posts
4550 upvotes
Toronto

Best buy Nest Hello w Nest mini or Ring Pro w Chime Pro and Echo?

I wanted to get a Smart Doorbell installed now I'm debating between the two deals Bestbuy has for Boxing Day:

Both are pretty much the same price but the savings is showing a lot higher on the Ring. Any recommendations?
Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 12.01.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 12.02.32 PM.png
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
8 replies
Member
Jul 21, 2005
338 posts
294 upvotes
Kitchener
Personally, I would invest into the ecosystem you choose to be in. Both will do the same thing but obviously if you’re a google ecosystem, get the nest. If you plan on adding more amazon devices, go the echo route.

I’m a full google household so it makes sense for me to get the nest combo (which I’ve purchased today)
Something something dark side...
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2009
17580 posts
4550 upvotes
Toronto
audi_rs wrote: Personally, I would invest into the ecosystem you choose to be in. Both will do the same thing but obviously if you’re a google ecosystem, get the nest. If you plan on adding more amazon devices, go the echo route.

I’m a full google household so it makes sense for me to get the nest combo (which I’ve purchased today)
Personally we’re an Apple house hold with an eco bee thermostat, we don’t have any of either product. So it’ll be a fresh start
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
Newbie
Jan 3, 2009
80 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
based on reviews the nest hello is a better doorbell camera. I.e just purchased it from bestbuy for the $219 price.
Member
Jul 21, 2005
338 posts
294 upvotes
Kitchener
deal_with_singh wrote: Personally we’re an Apple house hold with an eco bee thermostat, we don’t have any of either product. So it’ll be a fresh start
Sorry for your loss

Just kidding

I enjoy the google experience but both eco systems have their pros and cons. I’d go google but I’m a bit bias lol
Something something dark side...
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2009
17580 posts
4550 upvotes
Toronto
audi_rs wrote: Sorry for your loss

Just kidding

I enjoy the google experience but both eco systems have their pros and cons. I’d go google but I’m a bit bias lol
I’m leaning towards the google but it looks like you get more with the ring? The ring comes with a echo pro and a chime vs just a nest mini?
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
Member
Jul 21, 2005
338 posts
294 upvotes
Kitchener
deal_with_singh wrote: I’m leaning towards the google but it looks like you get more with the ring? The ring comes with a echo pro and a chime vs just a nest mini?
Chime isn’t really required with the nest as there is an adapter that connects to your homes existing chime. Also you can use the google mini as the chime if you want as well.

May be some specific use cases where the amazon chime is required but generally the nest hello adapter would work with most home chime systems. You’d want to look up if it’s compatible or not and if not the amazon solution might be the better way to go.
Something something dark side...
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2014
1174 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
If you end up going for a smart home alarm, I feel the Ring alarm is a better option. Nest secure is not available yet in Canada. Something to consider.
Jr. Member
Jul 23, 2009
102 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely decide based on ecosystem, BUT if you're never going to get any other products in these lineups and aren't necessarily an Alexa/Google Assistant user... the Nest Hello is a better video doorbell than the Ring imo having owned both.

Top