Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Nest Protect Wired/Battery $109 (+ most retailers)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2021 10:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2005
2065 posts
245 upvotes
GTA

[Best Buy] Nest Protect Wired/Battery $109 (+ most retailers)

The Nest Protect wired and battery for $109 (down from $149). Available at multiple retailers (Best Buy, Home Depot, Google, Bed Bath and Beyond).

Best Buy
Google
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 15th, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added urls
268 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1471 posts
1147 upvotes
Montreal
Bad timing lol. Oh well.

*EDIT* If you have a 200GB ot 2TB data plan with Google you can get respectivily 3% and 10% back in store credit on the Google Store.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
1382 posts
2115 upvotes
Pointe Claire
Anyone figure out best place with coupon or cash back? I get $106 with thesource with psp but holding out for better.
Jan 21, 2008
177 posts
173 upvotes
recently got two Kidde CO detectors from the last Princess Auto deal.

anybody know the benefits of this over that?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19633 posts
2648 upvotes
Out west
Do these expire just like normal detectors do. The ten year life span and such?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1444 posts
1618 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Thanks OP! I've been waiting for these to go on sale.
dogdayafter12 wrote: Anyone figure out best place with coupon or cash back? I get $106 with thesource with psp but holding out for better.
Make sure you buy them in person so you can check the expiry date. Some stores have older stock and these things have a drop dead life of 10 years. Forget about saving the extra $2 since even 1 year old stock will be like $10 lost money
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1023 posts
842 upvotes
Ottawa
WikkiWikki wrote: Do these expire just like normal detectors do. The ten year life span and such?

Yes. The expiration is printed on the side so check when you pick up.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3188 posts
2083 upvotes
like what is the real advantage to these? I have nest thermostat, cameras, hubs etc, a whole nest home really, but do I need these?
Dec 4, 2017
286 posts
338 upvotes
Whitby
Dummy question... doesn't it requires to have a strobe light?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7987 posts
5984 upvotes
Kitchener
MrMello wrote: Dummy question... doesn't it requires to have a strobe light?
Only in new builds...it's not actually required in a retrofit.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7987 posts
5984 upvotes
Kitchener
riseagainstthemachine wrote: like what is the real advantage to these? I have nest thermostat, cameras, hubs etc, a whole nest home really, but do I need these?
Allows you to monitor remotely and the wired ones have a nice nightlight feature. They also work with the thermostat's "home/away" feature to monitor for movement.

The wired ones are superior units, so don't buy the battery ones if you have the option to wire them.

I already own about 5 of these, I'm tempted to get another.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Apr 15th, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 6, 2013
76 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
Don't forget to check the manufacturing date. They expire from the manufacturing date.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1203 posts
503 upvotes
thasean wrote: Don't forget to check the manufacturing date. They expire from the manufacturing date.
The actual expiry date is written on the outside of the packaging.
Jan 12, 2017
217 posts
77 upvotes
too bad as we can't go to store for PM and checking date
Nov 3, 2007
634 posts
157 upvotes
EDM, AB
I really don't understand why Google hasn't fully integrated the Nest Protect into Google Home yet. It's only supports presence detection only still. To me it would just make sense to use all the Google Home devices as more audio alarms!

I've always been very tempted by the Nest Protects but will continue waiting until they fully integrate with Google Home or release a new version that is.
Mar 12, 2017
437 posts
309 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: like what is the real advantage to these? I have nest thermostat, cameras, hubs etc, a whole nest home really, but do I need these?
The unit can also recognize steam vs smoke (steam from the kitchen or shower) which triggers regular alarms for some people.
You can also use Assistant/Nest App to silence to smoke alarm if you are aware of the smoke in the house from cooking.
It can also turn on/shut off your Furnace fan in the event of some smoke/CO emergencies (though I've never tested).
Night light option.
Home/Away motion sensor assist.

I think it can prompt your Nest Cameras to start recording if a smoke/CO event is detected.

EDIT: If you have multiple units (different rooms/floors) you will get a notification telling you which unit goes off.
Last edited by dptrain on Apr 15th, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1471 posts
1147 upvotes
Montreal
Rob_EV wrote: Allows you to monitor remotely and the wired ones have a nice nightlight feature. They also work with the thermostat's "home/away" feature to monitor for movement.

The wired ones are superior units, so don't buy the battery ones if you have the option to wire them.

I already own about 5 of these, I'm tempted to get another.
Battery too has it. However, its' going to kill the batteries more than usual. I've disable all these feature for my storage room.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19633 posts
2648 upvotes
Out west
Fate wrote: The actual expiry date is written on the outside of the packaging.
Thanks. Guess I will wait until my current ones get close to expiring
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1485 posts
783 upvotes
Guelph
Friggin FINALLY. I got screwed over by Telus last year with something they had on sale, and I picked up two nest protects at the time. They cancelled my entire order and I missed the deal. It hasn't been on sale since! That I've seen anyway. Thanks OP.