• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2022 7:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2350 posts
209 upvotes

[Best Buy] Nest WiFi 3 pack (not Google WiFi) - $359.99

Nest WiFi (3 pack bundle) on sale for $359.99 at BestBuy. Almost 22% off.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/go ... k/13924603

Looks like the same sale price through Google directly:

https://store.google.com/ca/config/nest_wifi?hl=en-GB
Thread Summary
If you're upgrading your WiFi, take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best routers!
14 replies
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2570 posts
1354 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly, google needs to get it's sh_t together and get branding right. I just avoid their products if I can these days.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2084 posts
1560 upvotes
Is this really only dual band? For a WiFi mesh with a WiFi backhaul a tri-band is a much better choice.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1863 posts
1293 upvotes
Toronto
I have the older Google Wifi. Is it worth upgrading to Nest Wifi?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1319 posts
1725 upvotes
Montreal
I would be wary of buying networking equipment from Google. When they decide to pull the plug on support, you will be left with an expensive paperweight. Not only do they stop updating the devices, but they essentially brick them. See what they did to OnHub customers like me:

google-com-nest-wifi-router-137-40-reg- ... d-2513372/

https://support.google.com/googlenest/a ... 7354?hl=en

I've had routers in the past that lasted much longer than the end of support date from their manufacturers. I could also install open-source firmware to keep the hardware more secure while adding new features. Not so with Google. I don't think they even can open-source OnHub because most of their newer hardware shares much of the same code and they want to keep that stuff locked down.

Still very disappointed and I will never buy Google networking hardware again.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1319 posts
1725 upvotes
Montreal
VertigoM wrote: I have the older Google Wifi. Is it worth upgrading to Nest Wifi?
If you already have Google Wifi and are getting good service with it, I wouldn't upgrade to Nest Wifi. Nest Wifi is technically better, but why replace a system that is working for minimal additional functions. If I were to ever consider Google networking hardware again (see my post above as to why I won't), I would at least wait for a jump in Wifi technology. Buying a Wifi 5 device in 2022 when everyone else is selling Wifi 6 doesn't strike me as the best investment.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1863 posts
1293 upvotes
Toronto
dhomas wrote: If you already have Google Wifi and are getting good service with it, I wouldn't upgrade to Nest Wifi. Nest Wifi is technically better, but why replace a system that is working for minimal additional functions. If I were to ever consider Google networking hardware again (see my post above as to why I won't), I would at least wait for a jump in Wifi technology. Buying a Wifi 5 device in 2022 when everyone else is selling Wifi 6 doesn't strike me as the best investment.
Makes sense. Thanks!
Oct 6, 2018
465 posts
677 upvotes
Do not buy this. Just a matter of time till Google pulls the plug on this as they did with their previous gen.

So many other options for mesh WiFi nowadays.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
2003 posts
3093 upvotes
Onterrible
Honestly I would rather just get two (one might even do it) APs from someone like Unifi or Mikrotik and put them in your house.

Even one of these pro-sumer devices will saturate your entire house with an extremely stable connection and would basically cost the same as this system.

I used to have a pretty robust home network but when we bought our new house I simply set up the ISP router (with its wifi disabled) with a Unifi AP on our main floor. It saturates the whole house as well as front and back yard, and our place is 2200 sqft.

Very easy for non-tech savvy people to accomplish.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1974 posts
1419 upvotes
Calgary
ChippewaBarr wrote: Honestly I would rather just get two (one might even do it) APs from someone like Unifi or Mikrotik and put them in your house.

Even one of these pro-sumer devices will saturate your entire house with an extremely stable connection and would basically cost the same as this system.

I used to have a pretty robust home network but when we bought our new house I simply set up the ISP router (with its wifi disabled) with a Unifi AP on our main floor. It saturates the whole house as well as front and back yard, and our place is 2200 sqft.

Very easy for non-tech savvy people to accomplish.
Came here to suggest ubiquiti unifi also
I have a dream machine pro
But their all in one dream machine is a great all in one.

Add a long range access point later and avoid even needing any mesh.

In my pro dream machine with a single long range access point I get full signal through a 3200sqft house plus all the way to the end of a 3car long driveway.

I get degraded signal across the street but it still works well enough.
May 12, 2021
138 posts
61 upvotes
Old Google Wifi units can be used as additional point with the Nest Wifi.
dhomas wrote: If you already have Google Wifi and are getting good service with it, I wouldn't upgrade to Nest Wifi. Nest Wifi is technically better, but why replace a system that is working for minimal additional functions. If I were to ever consider Google networking hardware again (see my post above as to why I won't), I would at least wait for a jump in Wifi technology. Buying a Wifi 5 device in 2022 when everyone else is selling Wifi 6 doesn't strike me as the best investment.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12170 posts
6018 upvotes
Chipppy wrote: Do not buy this. Just a matter of time till Google pulls the plug on this as they did with their previous gen.

So many other options for mesh WiFi nowadays.
I agree with this.
Would you have any recommendations for a mesh with backhaul
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10337 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah skip this... OnHub user here that's getting burned as well.
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1319 posts
1725 upvotes
Montreal
2000teamti wrote: Old Google Wifi units can be used as additional point with the Nest Wifi.
Old OnHub units could be used as points in a Google WiFi or Google Nest mesh network, too. Until they can't anymore, later this year.