Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Netgear Orbi AC2200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (RBK22-100CNS) - 2 Pack

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2020 10:31 am
[OP]
Dec 9, 2013
69 posts
90 upvotes
Ontario

[Best Buy] Netgear Orbi AC2200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (RBK22-100CNS) - 2 Pack

Been checking out mesh systems lately. I have been eyeing the Google Nest Wifi, Netgear Orbi and Ubiquiti systems. Price is good. I am hoping some other people can benefit from this information, and also, I wanted to see what my fellow RedFlaggers thought of this Orbi model.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
2765 posts
2242 upvotes
I am using this one. (3-pack version) ....no issues, very strong signal, easy setup.

Got in on the Staples deal a month or so ago $249.99 for the 3-pack (plus a $25 coupon). It was sold out very quickly though

$199.99 for a 2-pack is still a decent deal for this
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3496 posts
2022 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
Darn it I got alerted because you wrote Ubiquiti :P
---
Sep 7, 2006
71 posts
18 upvotes
Got the two pack, wifi is now the way it should have always been, fast/reliable.
Aug 8, 2011
37 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
This system has great coverage but has been very troublesome for my wireless IP cameras. I don't know enough to comment on the why, but it's an issue others have reported as well. Just a heads up
Oct 28, 2012
14 posts
8 upvotes
VICTORIA
I had an Orbi system and just switched to a unifi system. Was happy with Orbi except for a few things:
- Netgear is not the most reliable at releasing quality controlled updates. Tend to introduce multiple bugs and race to patch them later.

- Wifi isn’t reliable if you get too far from the base. Can have two bars of wifi and it will drop in and out. Happened pretty reliably across my devices

Switched to unifi recently and all my issues went away.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3496 posts
2022 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
Wisecraker wrote: Sorry my dude!
All good haha. It's a rare thing as you might of noticed with Ubiquiti gear going on sale haha.
---
[OP]
Dec 9, 2013
69 posts
90 upvotes
Ontario
Ac131313 wrote: This system has great coverage but has been very troublesome for my wireless IP cameras. I don't know enough to comment on the why, but it's an issue others have reported as well. Just a heads up
I use Wyze cameras all around the home. So this is definitely something worth knowing.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2013
69 posts
90 upvotes
Ontario
Snake13 wrote: I had an Orbi system and just switched to a unifi system. Was happy with Orbi except for a few things:
- Netgear is not the most reliable at releasing quality controlled updates. Tend to introduce multiple bugs and race to patch them later.

- Wifi isn’t reliable if you get too far from the base. Can have two bars of wifi and it will drop in and out. Happened pretty reliably across my devices

Switched to unifi recently and all my issues went away.
Thanks for the info!
Nov 14, 2009
236 posts
54 upvotes
Ac131313 wrote: This system has great coverage but has been very troublesome for my wireless IP cameras. I don't know enough to comment on the why, but it's an issue others have reported as well. Just a heads up
I have this issue with some devices that are further away from the router (ie my backyard) and the fix was to assign everything on the network a static ip address, when you have a ton of devices all fighting for an ip some of them will just give up for a bit it seems, static fixes it right up, for me anyways.
Aug 9, 2006
392 posts
30 upvotes
Wisecraker wrote: I use Wyze cameras all around the home. So this is definitely something worth knowing.
The fix i found was to find a non congested channel and and set it permanently. That helped with stability
Sep 24, 2002
47 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I'm been using this unit in a 2 floor 2700 sq ft home for over a year and am happy with it.

I had a few dropped connections in the first couple of months but it settled down after trying different wifi channels.

No problems with my Wyze cams and a bunch of Google Home devices.
Last edited by Slow Burn on Jan 24th, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2114 posts
336 upvotes
York
I've had this for about a year now and am pretty satisfied with it. Some devices fight to stay on the 5GHz channel but as another person said, just needs to be set to a static IP.

I tried Nest Wifi to see if it would improve speeds and it was worse. The Nest Wifi router itself is more powerful (4x4 antennas) but the Points are terrible (2x2) and do not have ethernet ports for a backhaul. Stuck with the Orbi.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14750 posts
1091 upvotes
Markham
FightCanada wrote: The fix i found was to find a non congested channel and and set it permanently. That helped with stability
This. Some of my smart home devices (looking at you, wemo light switch!) Don't like "auto-channel" and once I permanently set a channel, it's all stable again

Makes me think they must be using some super old 2.4ghz chips and radios
ShadowVlican