• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2021 7:05 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
501 posts
390 upvotes
Mississauga

[Best Buy] Ooma Telo and 4 piece security kit combo - $49.97 & 7 pcs @ 99.97

I have had Ooma for 5 years now (premium) and am quite happy with it - they even sent me the current telo for free when i asked why the older model only allowed 3 sensors to be paired.

I don't subscribe to their security service but I do have 3 water sensors at this time, so I can't comment on the paid security service, although you can use the devices with a paid subscription ( I believe as long as you activate the telo phone service)
Last edited by projectman44 on May 7th, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
81 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20080 posts
7517 upvotes
Toronto
Is this a subscription based service for coverage?
How is it working without one?
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1209 posts
1382 upvotes
GTA
Would the base station work as VOIP device alone? Thanks.
Zoomer Wireless $40.50/6GB unlimited minute plan;
Public Mobile $15 unlimited incoming call;
Fido $10 4GB LTE data/Month plan
Mar 17, 2020
15 posts
5 upvotes
projectman44 wrote: I have had Ooma for 5 years now (premium) and am quite happy with it - they even sent me the current telo for free when i asked why the older model only allowed 3 sensors to be paired.

I don't subscribe to their security service but I do have 3 water sensors at this time, so I can't comment on the paid security service, although you can use the devices with a paid subscription ( I believe as long as you activate the telo phone service)
This base station can be connected to phone for Voip number?
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
501 posts
390 upvotes
Mississauga
NarinderS74069 wrote: This base station can be connected to phone for Voip number?
Yes - you should read up on their website to get best idea. I ported mine from Robbers a number of years ago.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
501 posts
390 upvotes
Mississauga
bennyxyz wrote: Would the base station work as VOIP device alone? Thanks.
Yes. The telo phone device is usually $100 on its own.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1209 posts
1382 upvotes
GTA
projectman44 wrote: Yes - you should read up on their website to get best idea. I ported mine from Robbers a number of years ago.
Thanks, ordered one.
Zoomer Wireless $40.50/6GB unlimited minute plan;
Public Mobile $15 unlimited incoming call;
Fido $10 4GB LTE data/Month plan
Feb 1, 2012
544 posts
189 upvotes
Montreal
OP , i don't know if i should be mad ( didn't need this - but rfd motto , buy now , think later ) at you or thank you - anyways ... I upvoted as it's a good deal from the MSRP.
and thank you Winking Face

does it need to be connected to my modem as it's far away in the basement....
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
1932 posts
301 upvotes
I have an old Ooma base station which I use for home phone. Is it worth while for me to upgrade to this one and do the free self monitoring?
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
Apr 29, 2013
227 posts
334 upvotes
Calgary
Seeing reviews of folks saying the free monitoring options isn't actually free, something about having to pay to use the app? Does anyone have this and is not paying for any subscription? I don't have Ooma for anything and would consider this simply just for the self monitoring functions.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2104 posts
1304 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks for posting Op!

Ooma experts out there, hoping you can help me decide.

A few weeks back I ordered the Costco Ooma bundle with wireless phones. Should I keep that or order this? My parents - where this will be setup - already have some Panasonic cordless phone... so not 100% sure what would be best option here. Any advise would be appreciated.

Oh and does Ooma work for faxes? my father sends or receives like 3 a year and just want to call that out to him if it will not work.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1704 posts
302 upvotes
Winnipeg
MJB wrote: I have an old Ooma base station which I use for home phone. Is it worth while for me to upgrade to this one and do the free self monitoring?
Would cost more but the Samsung Smarthings Hub would be another option.
Apr 8, 2007
851 posts
246 upvotes
Milton
MJB wrote: I have an old Ooma base station which I use for home phone. Is it worth while for me to upgrade to this one and do the free self monitoring?
Don’t know if anyone can answer that for you. Your current one doesn’t have the security monitoring. Do you want the security monitoring? If so then it’s worth $50 if not then the answer is no.
May 27, 2010
295 posts
111 upvotes
This looks and functions very similar to ecobee's security products. Anyone have experience or know much about them?

Ive been using ecobee's thermostat for years and am happy with them. I am considering getting their security system (requires pay subscription though)
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
501 posts
390 upvotes
Mississauga
elcheapoo wrote: Seeing reviews of folks saying the free monitoring options isn't actually free, something about having to pay to use the app? Does anyone have this and is not paying for any subscription? I don't have Ooma for anything and would consider this simply just for the self monitoring functions.
I think those are people who are new to Ooma and don't even have the phone service. There is still the taxes and 911 service fees you pay to have the basic phone running.

I have the app running and i get notifications when there is water present.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
501 posts
390 upvotes
Mississauga
I had the old one as well and it had a limit of 3 sensors, so it can be used with the service.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
501 posts
390 upvotes
Mississauga
KT2312 wrote: OP , i don't know if i should be mad ( didn't need this - but rfd motto , buy now , think later ) at you or thank you - anyways ... I upvoted as it's a good deal from the MSRP.
and thank you Winking Face

does it need to be connected to my modem as it's far away in the basement....
I have always had mine hard wired as its the best option to avoid packet loss. The instructions say that you "need" to have this device placed between the modem and router, but I think thats nonsense as the ethernet port is only a 10/100.
I know they sell a wireless dongle if your stuck.
Last edited by projectman44 on May 7th, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 26, 2013
78 posts
31 upvotes
Would buying 2 at this price to get additional sensors be a good idea?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2202 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
iamthat wrote: Would buying 2 at this price to get additional sensors be a good idea?
Maybe this would be better suited for you?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9868 posts
4614 upvotes
Toronto
Damn RFD... I had to buy it. Hot deal!

Finally switching our home phone line

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)