Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Open Box Apple Computers for Sale!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2020 1:14 pm
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
423 upvotes
Anjou, QC
parapudaw wrote: Are all the one on sale has the problematic keyboard?
anything 2016-2019 has that keyboard. 4 year extended keyboard warranty though.
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE
Dec 30, 2011
69 posts
35 upvotes
I just received my MacBook. Box was rough, so I was immediately disappointed. I’ve ordered refurb directly from Apple and those always looked new. This doesn’t. It’s actually dirty and there’s what looks to be a nick or scratch on top. Is this normal? I’m really disappointed, and am not sure if I should even turn it on, and just return it...
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1408 posts
830 upvotes
Ajax
Annie218 wrote: I just received my MacBook. Box was rough, so I was immediately disappointed. I’ve ordered refurb directly from Apple and those always looked new. This doesn’t. It’s actually dirty and there’s what looks to be a nick or scratch on top. Is this normal? I’m really disappointed, and am not sure if I should even turn it on, and just return it...
Received mine today and same exact issues. Box was beat up bad and MBP had significant dings and scratches. Didn't even bother turning it on. Returned to Best Buy not even an hour after receiving it.
Dec 30, 2011
69 posts
35 upvotes
covabwoy wrote: Received mine today and same exact issues. Box was beat up bad and MBP had significant dings and scratches. Didn't even bother turning it on. Returned to Best Buy not even an hour after receiving it.
Darn. It sounds like this is normal then. I just got off the phone with Best Buy, and they said I can return it, and reorder another one, but it sounds like I could get one in even worse condition.. I guess I will just return it and wait for a deal on a new one.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2569 posts
1818 upvotes
Waterloo
Annie218 wrote: I just received my MacBook. Box was rough, so I was immediately disappointed. I’ve ordered refurb directly from Apple and those always looked new. This doesn’t. It’s actually dirty and there’s what looks to be a nick or scratch on top. Is this normal? I’m really disappointed, and am not sure if I should even turn it on, and just return it...
covabwoy wrote: Received mine today and same exact issues. Box was beat up bad and MBP had significant dings and scratches. Didn't even bother turning it on. Returned to Best Buy not even an hour after receiving it.
When did you folks order? I ordered mine on Saturday morning shortly after this deal was posted and my package still isn't even with Canada Post yet... you would think they process orders first-in first-out, but I guess not.
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Dec 30, 2011
69 posts
35 upvotes
cadave wrote: When did you folks order? I ordered mine on Saturday morning shortly after this deal was posted and my package still isn't even with Canada Post yet... you would think they process orders first-in first-out, but I guess not.
I ordered the MacBook Air 256 GB around 9am on Saturday morning, and it shipped around noon on Sunday. It’s the best price I’ve seen, but honestly, I wonder if they were clearing out the ‘rough’ returns. Would love to hear if other people had similar experiences, or if the units they received are in pristine shape, as Best Buy suggests they should be.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1408 posts
830 upvotes
Ajax
cadave wrote: When did you folks order? I ordered mine on Saturday morning shortly after this deal was posted and my package still isn't even with Canada Post yet... you would think they process orders first-in first-out, but I guess not.
I ordered very early sat. morning as soon as the deal was posted as well. It shipped from Mississauga and I'm in Ajax so that may have factored into the fast turnaround time.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1071 posts
121 upvotes
I am thinking if I should just keep it or simply return it. The box was not in good condition the charging cable was really dirty but fortunately the MBA didn't have any scratch. When I checked the battery cycle count it was set to 19 which is really high for an "opened box" MBA.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Best buy refurbished/open box isn't the same as Apple Refurbished. Apple refirbs they replace the battery as well as any components you touch, so it "feels" new. Best Buy just checks that it still works and is sellable condition so its very YMMV.
Feb 22, 2017
188 posts
273 upvotes
toronto, ON
chatbox wrote: Can't bring myself to buy a laptop where the storage and memory can't be upgraded.
Storage, memory, and BATTERY!
Apr 5, 2018
475 posts
473 upvotes
Windows is like your home - most things work OK but you know where everything is and how to operate them. You can buy components/gadgets off Kijiji and they will work reasonably well with everything in the house. Sometimes they will trip the breaker. But just restart.
MacOS is like a 5 star hotel - the mirrors gleam and everything just works. The staff work hard and your association with the hotel gives you VIP perks to the gym and cinema. But you are not allowed into certain parts of the hotel. And everything from the mini bar to breakfast to even water is super expensive. But the mere association with the hotel make you look cool no matter what your age is.

So basically it depends on your personality. To settle my mind, I keep several Windows machines, 1 MBP 2015(with the butterfly KB), 1 chromebook and 1 laptop with Linux Mint . Windows is for work and productivity, Macbook is for sheer browsing pleasure and research, Chromebook does not see much of use and Linux Mint is for open source projects where I can use the terminal.
JIB9022 wrote: whats the appeal of macbooks? compared to cheaper windows?

never understood the popularity of macbooks, what am i missing?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
JIB9022 wrote: whats the appeal of macbooks? compared to cheaper windows?

never understood the popularity of macbooks, what am i missing?
I have a 7 year old MacBook Pro from work. The only change since new is a midrange SSD to replace the standard hard drive. It runs about as fast as my almost new Lenovo, with absolutely rock solid build quality and hardware.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2003
11234 posts
3800 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wondering how much does it cost to replace battery on MacBook? And does it have fan grill which may collect dust? My 8 years old thinkpad t520 i7 will need a new battery otherwise run time is only 60 minutes, cleaned up dust and cpu temperature dropped significantly and lower fan noise now
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
wlee wrote: Wondering how much does it cost to replace battery on MacBook? And does it have fan grill which may collect dust? My 8 years old thinkpad t520 i7 will need a new battery otherwise run time is only 60 minutes, cleaned up dust and cpu temperature dropped significantly and lower fan noise now
Upvoted you for sticking with older hardware and still being productive. Good for the planet. (I'm on X200, X220 and W520).
Jul 30, 2010
24 posts
74 upvotes
Kitchener
Netcruzer wrote: The software man.. the software. Linux based OS + super efficient stable applications. Also the build quality of the hardware. They've lately taken a hit on reliability but the intent is always ultra premium materials and design.
Technically OS X traces its roots to NeXTSTEP, not Linux.

I only run Windows & Linux and have had great reliability for years (with the exception of Win 8.x). I always buy quality components from reputable manufacturers. I wonder how many of the Mac users who complain about their Windows days actually ran quality hardware and clean installs (and not the cheapest-Best Buy-crappy-hardware-bloatware-loaded pieces of crap).

I'm not saying that Windows can match OS X for reliability (as I'd be a hypocrite). However I do find that Windows 7 and 10 have been very reliable. I will admit that while I haven't had any bad Win10 upgrades, it sounds like MS is screwing these up quite badly.
Mar 5, 2012
758 posts
498 upvotes
Canada
Netcruzer wrote: The software man.. the software. Linux based OS + super efficient stable applications. Also the build quality of the hardware. They've lately taken a hit on reliability but the intent is always ultra premium materials and design.
UNIX based, but hey!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)