• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 1:42 pm
33 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1364 posts
2070 upvotes
Hammonds
$600-1000 gfx card coupled with a maybe $400 cpu, then $800-1300 of junky components to complete. Like a no name mb, poor efficiency psu already at 80% load, slow ram, bad SSD... components, aside from gfx, aren't very costly these days.
Apr 29, 2010
78 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
Yea, feel like the dell XP’s deal was a bit better at 1440 with i7/3060ti
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2615 posts
2559 upvotes
Toronto
Ruciz wrote: $600-1000 gfx card coupled with a maybe $400 cpu, then $800-1300 of junky components to complete. Like a no name mb, poor efficiency psu already at 80% load, slow ram, bad SSD... components, aside from gfx, aren't very costly these days.
not disagreeing with your comment, just throwing some extra info:

had a quick google on the asus one, the PSU is OK-ish I suppose, 700w 80+bronze, and mobo seems to be a basic Asus one (at least it isnt a no name) - but the ram not being even dual channel is probably the worst

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... n/gyy12q0/
A Dual (non OC) 3070, generic Asus motherboard I believe a b560, 1 stick of generic 16gb ram, trash cpu cooler, and a great wall 700 watt 80+bronze PSU.
haven't looked into the 2 builds with 3060tis, but the first one also seems weird to use a 5600G; it lacks perfomance compared to 5600X, and the price isn't much of a difference ($40 I think?) - makes a bit of sense if you're not using GPU (temporarily or no definitive), but built with a RTX3060 seems a dumb saving.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20173 posts
8224 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Will wait until the industry is back to normal. Even if I had absolutely nothing right now, I'd so much rather just deal with GeForce Now than pay these kinds of prices for what you're getting.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1644 posts
561 upvotes
Bedford
neonic wrote: not disagreeing with your comment, just throwing some extra info:

had a quick google on the asus one, the PSU is OK-ish I suppose, 700w 80+bronze, and mobo seems to be a basic Asus one (at least it isnt a no name) - but the ram not being even dual channel is probably the worst

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... n/gyy12q0/

haven't looked into the 2 builds with 3060tis, but the first one also seems weird to use a 5600G; it lacks perfomance compared to 5600X, and the price isn't much of a difference ($40 I think?) - makes a bit of sense if you're not using GPU (temporarily or no definitive), but built with a RTX3060 seems a dumb saving.
I was actually wondering if it made any sense to pick up the 5600G build and flip the GPU. What could you Kijiji the RTX for?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2013
1267 posts
696 upvotes
Surrey, BC (GVR)
M son had the Asus Strix and it was a pretty nice system. Sure it's not as flashy as a build your own pc, but it wasn't bad. Worth the price if you cant find a gpu.
Please check my feedback:
RFD
HWC
Heatware
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2615 posts
2559 upvotes
Toronto
baillieul wrote: I was actually wondering if it made any sense to pick up the 5600G build and flip the GPU. What could you Kijiji the RTX for?
I've seen them around 800, but considering it won't be boxed and stuff, I think it'd sell a bit cheaper

I don't think it's worth the hassle tho - as you probably can build it better (1TB SSD and 32GB RAM) with $850 or so, eg: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GFjqCz just got an example from a ready build on pcpp, not my personal recommendation, also you'd probably should consider win10 price, but still.

on a side note - I just checked on the link https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... 0/15463572 and description shows 5600X, so I guess it's better to double check.
Feb 25, 2020
284 posts
592 upvotes
I highly recommend nobody buy a new graphics card UNLESS you really NEED it or just don't care about spending money

new gen of cards from amd and Nvidia are releasing next year that are going to be way faster and better as far as ray tracing goes and more, even Intel is releasing gpus next year, it's going to be a totally different game if you wait 6+ months... It's not like crazy good games are coming for PC besides battlefield, cod vanguard, etc.

Just my advice, Patience is key 🗝️
[removed for signature violation, do not repost]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20410 posts
8799 upvotes
Toronto
Wait another few months and plenty of cards will be available for retail.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1364 posts
2070 upvotes
Hammonds
hoodrich wrote: I highly recommend nobody buy a new graphics card UNLESS you really NEED it or just don't care about spending money

new gen of cards from amd and Nvidia are releasing next year that are going to be way faster and better as far as ray tracing goes and more, even Intel is releasing gpus next year, it's going to be a totally different game if you wait 6+ months... It's not like crazy good games are coming for PC besides battlefield, cod vanguard, etc.

Just my advice, Patience is key 🗝️
Heard this 2 years ago. Don't get a 2080, wait... yeah it all looks good on paper but nvidia claim 30xx series demand won't be satisfied until 2023. Id be ok with console gaming if the best thing i could find in store wasn't a switch and $400 ps4 pro.
Nov 11, 2019
72 posts
108 upvotes
Ruciz wrote: Heard this 2 years ago. Don't get a 2080, wait... yeah it all looks good on paper but nvidia claim 30xx series demand won't be satisfied until 2023. Id be ok with console gaming if the best thing i could find in store wasn't a switch and $400 ps4 pro.
I can’t guarantee what the future will bring but I do know ETH 2.0 is expected to release Q1 of 2022. And with it, the mining that these cards perform will be obsolete. I have a feeling, in the run up to that release, the market will begin to flood with these GPUs.

But if there is a game you want to play now, and this is what you need to play it and enjoy it, then you should do what makes you happy. It’s not worth waiting half a year to hopefully save a bit of money when you want to be gaming now
Feb 25, 2020
284 posts
592 upvotes
Ruciz wrote: Heard this 2 years ago. Don't get a 2080, wait... yeah it all looks good on paper but nvidia claim 30xx series demand won't be satisfied until 2023. Id be ok with console gaming if the best thing i could find in store wasn't a switch and $400 ps4 pro.
rtx 2080 brought the first implementation of ray tracing to geforce cards, the entire selling point of the rtx 20 series was ray tracing, people who bought into the 20 series, especially the high end gpus were beta testers of ray tracing, and how many ray tracing games did they play from rtx 20 launch to the rtx 30 launch? probably not much, so it was smart to skip the rtx 20 series

furthermore, amd didn't have ray tracing capable video cards 2 years ago like they do now

wait for ada lovelace / rtx 40 series / rdna 3 gpus / intel arc alchemist gpus

for me personally, the gpu market is a joke... especially if you're buying brand new gpus, i ALWAYS look at the second hand market, that's where the value is at... i can never spend $500-$1000 on a graphics card and never will i, regardless of how much money i have

i'm fine with gaming on a single monitor @ 1440p / 60-120hz / high settings, at the end of the day it's all about your gaming experience & not what hardware you use
May 23, 2009
861 posts
449 upvotes
Vancouver
hoodrich wrote: rtx 2080 brought the first implementation of ray tracing to geforce cards, the entire selling point of the rtx 20 series was ray tracing, people who bought into the 20 series, especially the high end gpus were beta testers of ray tracing, and how many ray tracing games did they play from rtx 20 launch to the rtx 30 launch? probably not much, so it was smart to skip the rtx 20 series

furthermore, amd didn't have ray tracing capable video cards 2 years ago like they do now

wait for ada lovelace / rtx 40 series / rdna 3 gpus / intel arc alchemist gpus

for me personally, the gpu market is a joke... especially if you're buying brand new gpus, i ALWAYS look at the second hand market, that's where the value is at... i can never spend $500-$1000 on a graphics card and never will i, regardless of how much money i have

i'm fine with gaming on a single monitor @ 1440p / 60-120hz / high settings, at the end of the day it's all about your gaming experience & not what hardware you use
You’ll be hard pressed to find a gpu under $500 now and in the future that’ll run 1440p at 60fps for new AAA titles. The current market has spoiled GPU makers in marking up their prices. Now they know how much people are actually willing to pay a premium for video cards. This “value” you speak of in the used market for gpus consists $400 5 year old gtx 1060 6gb (gtx 1070 if you’re extremely lucky). People saying to skip the rtx 20 series and wait for the 30 series got screwed over due to the scarcity and many regret not hoping on sooner as they still can’t manage to grab one. How are people going to manage to buy 40 series cards if they can barely get 30s?
Feb 25, 2020
284 posts
592 upvotes
It's a good thing AAA games are horrible these days, performance wise and also just plain out bad games, how many PC gamers upgraded got cyberpunk 2077 and got screwed over? Millions.

High end hardware is a joke, just like triple A gaming is. What graphically demanding AAA games that released this year were worth it? I can't even count them on 2 hands

And you keep mentioning rtx as if amd doesn't exist...
May 23, 2009
861 posts
449 upvotes
Vancouver
Oladepot wrote: I can’t guarantee what the future will bring but I do know ETH 2.0 is expected to release Q1 of 2022. And with it, the mining that these cards perform will be obsolete. I have a feeling, in the run up to that release, the market will begin to flood with these GPUs.

But if there is a game you want to play now, and this is what you need to play it and enjoy it, then you should do what makes you happy. It’s not worth waiting half a year to hopefully save a bit of money when you want to be gaming now
Everyone thinking because ETH 2.0 is going to hit next year (it’s been postponed further now), that everyone is going to fire sale their gpus. As a miner, I’m holding my cards as there are other profitable alt coins to mine, might not be as good as ethereum currently but there’s still profit to be made and as long as I have warranty on my cards and there’s profitability, I won’t be stopping anytime soon and I’ll still be buying new gpus when I can find them. Because worst case if crypto mining magically goes bust, I can always resell for retail cost and people will still buy them. Especially since manufactures say the shortage will last till next year. Sure you can take what they say with a grain of salt, but they also said they had enough for their releases but they were all paper launches.
Apr 6, 2021
32 posts
41 upvotes
As long as NV/AMD can make huge profit out of current generation GPU, why would they rush to next generation rtx 40 series / rdna 3?
and who think they would bump up next gen GPU performance so much to make current gen obsolete when those are making big money?
and let not even take about if next gen would be readily available upon release and have friendly price.
May 23, 2009
861 posts
449 upvotes
Vancouver
hoodrich wrote: It's a good thing AAA games are horrible these days, performance wise and also just plain out bad games, how many PC gamers upgraded got cyberpunk 2077 and got screwed over? Millions.

High end hardware is a joke, just like triple A gaming is. What graphically demanding AAA games that released this year were worth it? I can't even count them on 2 hands

And you keep mentioning rtx as if amd doesn't exist...
True, most AAA games are trash now but that’s not going to stop people from buying gpus to play games like warzone still.

Let’s face it, most people here prefer nvidia cards over amd at least in my area. They’re trying to sell a 6600xt for what? $600+? The amd software also sucks compared to nvidia GeForce exp (IMO). I walked into a canadacomputers the other day and they were stocked with 6700xt and 6800 and above but not a single rtx card available. All were being reserved. That’s probably also because the 6700xt were being sold for $1000+ in store.