Philips Hue A19 Bluetooth - 3 Pack - White & Colour Ambiance $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2021 2:03 pm
[OP]
Feb 18, 2018
823 posts
980 upvotes

[Best Buy] Philips Hue A19 Bluetooth - 3 Pack - White & Colour Ambiance $99.99

3 Pack of the Philips Hue with Bluetooth - No Hub Required 33.33 each almost 50% off the Regular price of $60 each. yes there are cheaper smart lights out there but these are great
Last edited by Aselwyn1 on Oct 16th, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
46 replies
Jun 10, 2020
682 posts
669 upvotes
Sorry, this may be new gen, but compared to prices for previous gen, like, 3 years ago... this price is ice-cold...
Dec 24, 2017
38 posts
69 upvotes
We'll never see those prices again. This is the best pricing I've seen in Canada in a while.
DasHip wrote: Sorry, this may be new gen, but compared to prices for previous gen, like, 3 years ago... this price is ice-cold...
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1098 posts
636 upvotes
SASKATOON
Blue tooth kind of sucks. I have to turn on my automations everyday. Can’t schedule them.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1436 posts
382 upvotes
Do you need a new hub for these bluetooth ones?
Feb 20, 2018
93 posts
105 upvotes
ripjohnnyc wrote: Blue tooth kind of sucks. I have to turn on my automations everyday. Can’t schedule them.
You don't need to use Bluetooth if you have the hue hub. Bluetooth is just an additional option.
tatung wrote: Do you need a new hub for these bluetooth ones?
No, you don't. I have a hub from 2017 that works just fine with the new hue bulb with BT.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4444 posts
4696 upvotes
Alberta
tatung wrote: Do you need a new hub for these bluetooth ones?
No, hub is optional but adds extra features.
Feb 20, 2018
93 posts
105 upvotes
If somebody needs a hub to go with these bulbs, PM me. I have a brand new one sitting in its packaging that I have never used. It came with a starter pack but I already had a hub and just needed the bulbs.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2004
1135 posts
232 upvotes
Make have to break down and get these. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen the clearance prices back in the day. I just discovered the new Spotify integration function this week, fun to have the lights syncing with the music.
Jul 17, 2007
578 posts
185 upvotes
Aselwyn1 wrote: 3 Pack of the newest gen Philips Hue with Bluetooth - No Hub Required 33.33 each almost 50% off the Regular price of $60 each. yes there are cheaper smart lights out there but these are great
I don't think these are newest gen anyone. These would probably be Gen 4, 800 lumens.

A new 1100 lumen and a new 1600 lumen bulb was supposed to be released this week but they seem delayed.

I consider 3 for $99 to be regular price for this 3 pack as the sale pops up every month or two.

I am finding more and more that Canada doesn't really have any deals. Retailers list a artificially high MSRP and have "sales" and then Amazon's algorithm picks up the sale as well. No price competition. Retailers websites are also becoming homogeneous, same products any the same price, but only available online. I suspect some sort of shared warehouse situation.
Jul 17, 2007
578 posts
185 upvotes
WiseOx wrote: Make have to break down and get these. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen the clearance prices back in the day. I just discovered the new Spotify integration function this week, fun to have the lights syncing with the music.
If you are on Android the app that I feel reacts to music best is Prismify. The UI is a bit weird but it is the only Android app that feels like it is changing with the music instead of randomly.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1001 posts
270 upvotes
Leduc
edifonzo wrote: I don't think these are newest gen anyone. These would probably be Gen 4, 800 lumens.

A new 1100 lumen and a new 1600 lumen bulb was supposed to be released this week but they seem delayed.

I consider 3 for $99 to be regular price for this 3 pack as the sale pops up every month or two.

I am finding more and more that Canada doesn't really have any deals. Retailers list a artificially high MSRP and have "sales" and then Amazon's algorithm picks up the sale as well. No price competition. Retailers websites are also becoming homogeneous, same products any the same price, but only available online. I suspect some sort of shared warehouse situation.
i've been waiting for the new 1100 lumen to show up as well. some youtube reviews say the whites are brighter but the colors are mostly about the same with the exception of one or two colors that are slightly brighter. so i might grab these 800 lumen models if they do a proper clear out sale.
Nov 26, 2017
95 posts
74 upvotes
The hue bulbs have always been super expensive compared to other brands. What's so good about them. Are they worth the price?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1155 posts
1078 upvotes
Are you using them as exterior or interior lighting? When do you want coloured lights? The example of sitting around the table with purple lights doesn’t seem like a worthwhile application.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1015 posts
617 upvotes
Montreal
microwave wrote: i've been waiting for the new 1100 lumen to show up as well. some youtube reviews say the whites are brighter but the colors are mostly about the same with the exception of one or two colors that are slightly brighter. so i might grab these 800 lumen models if they do a proper clear out sale.
I would like to find bulbs that go dimmer. If you're not reading the newspaper in the living room you really don't need much to see, and it creates a different, pleasant environment, but the Hue bulbs I have are way too bright at their lowest setting, even emphasizing reds.
Jun 7, 2009
262 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
andycwlai wrote: What's so good about them. Are they worth the price?
Two main reasons why there is a price premium for Hue lights over others:
1) Integration and ease of use. They 'just work' and integrate with all the different sorts of automation stuff out there. Originally one of the few that worked nicely with Apple Home Kit.

2) Pretty high quality colour reproduction. I put some cheap strip LEDs under my kitchen cabinet. They changed the colour of my French's mustard container. That's when I learned about CRI (Colour Rendering Index) and how cheap LEDs don't reproduce white light very precisely: so when 'bad' white light bounces off an object it will tint its colour. A lot of people won't care about this.

They had some clearance Hue kits at my local SDM a couple months ago so I started to get into them (if anyone is downtown TO and wants to buy a Hue bridge for $15: PM me, I've got 3 extras). There's 3 types of Hue light bulbs: a) dimmable white, b) colour temperature white [cool to warm], & c) the colour changing ones above; there's also some LED strips and some pretentiously ostentatious lamps. My favorite aspect of them is to turn any socket (lamp or ceiling fixture) into a dimmer. Like being able to flop on the couch and take the lights out as a movie starts.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2018
823 posts
980 upvotes
edifonzo wrote: I don't think these are newest gen anyone. These would probably be Gen 4, 800 lumens.

ah your right there does seem to be even newer bulbs that are gen 5 and these ya would be the gen 4 bulbs. it looks like the 800Lumen may stick around as a cheaper option as it looks like in the US there's all 3 for sale the new 1600 and 1100 and the 800's all with the Lumen amount now written on the bulb all at slightly different price points. Hue at launch was historically always $50 a bulb till around 2016 when they went up to $60 each in Canada so 33 each is still a decent price for the basic A19
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1098 posts
636 upvotes
SASKATOON
anandoc wrote: You don't need to use Bluetooth if you have the hue hub. Bluetooth is just an additional option.

No, you don't. I have a hub from 2017 that works just fine with the new hue bulb with BT.
I don’t have a hub
Apr 2, 2021
14 posts
8 upvotes
Cupertino
ripjohnnyc wrote: I don’t have a hub
This 3-bulb bundle is really more for current Hue users to expand their system.

While you can absolutely use them without a bridge, you lose out on several important features.
 Tim Apple
Apr 2, 2021
14 posts
8 upvotes
Cupertino
sparkaction wrote: Are you using them as exterior or interior lighting? When do you want coloured lights? The example of sitting around the table with purple lights doesn’t seem like a worthwhile application.
These specific ones aren't recommended to be used outdoors but users, myself included, have put them outside for years in Canadian winters and summers and it's mostly been fine.

You don't have to bathe yourself in purple light but you absolutely could do so if you wanted to.

They're meant to be just like any regular light bulb with the added feature of ambient lighting in full color with smart and automated features. They're a nice-to-have thing.
 Tim Apple