Philips Hue A19 Smart LED Light Bulb Starter Kit - $50 instant credit

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2016 9:29 am
[OP]
Aug 4, 2014
187 posts
56 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

[Best Buy] Philips Hue A19 Smart LED Light Bulb Starter Kit - $50 instant credit

Best Buy .ca giving $50 instant credit when purchasing this Philips Hue A19 Smart LED Light Bulb Starter Kit. I believe this is the second generation as the specs say 800 lumens. Not sure if this is a hot deal but everywhere else online seems to be selling at regular $179.99 price.
The kit includes 3x White and Color Ambiance A19 bulbs and Hue bridge.
96 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11860 posts
104823 upvotes
Ontario
whats the benefit of this ?
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5682 posts
3003 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Very tempted to grab these but just wondering if anyone here has used them? I was reading the reviews on the BB website and one of then makes these sound like a bit of a pain to actually control. Just wondering if that is still the case.

EDIT: Also, if I buy the cheaper "white" starter kit can I still but colour bulbs down the road and control them with that bridge or do you need a bridge that is specifically for colour?
Jan 17, 2016
411 posts
413 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes it is the 2nd gen, you can tell from the packaging saying "works with Apple HomeKit", that's the biggest improvement they done to 2nd gen.

Also reply to ChicoQuente, you can definitely add colour bulb afterwards, the bridge is universal and it supports up to 50 bulbs.

But be careful, although they stated 800 lumens, I remember I read somewhere has reviewed it with highest brightness of 650~700 lumen. Also its brightness it depends on its colour and colour temperature, some are much dimmer.
Last edited by XiaohanJ117 on Oct 16th, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5682 posts
3003 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Thanks. Are there ever any good deals on the individual bulbs? 3 bulbs doesn't go far and I know I will want more
Jan 17, 2016
411 posts
413 upvotes
Mississauga
ChicoQuente wrote: Thanks. Are there ever any good deals on the individual bulbs? 3 bulbs doesn't go far and I know I will want more
Actually I don't think Philips hue bulbs are any good. Please see my previous post (updated), they are so dim if you choose Hue White Ambiance or the colour ones. If you just want the Hue white (no changing temperature) they are over priced for a basically "remote controlled light".
Dec 18, 2015
12 posts
6 upvotes
Saint Catharines
I myself have never seen the colour much lower then $49. Thats why if you are interested I would get this deal versus buying the non colour version. On sale 3 colour bulbs cost $150. The lowest I previosly saw this set was $179 so this deal is good in my mind. If you dont need different shades of non colour bulbs the standard bulbs are cheapest. The non colour that change temp are higher but below the colour bulbs. I like the system. Have 4 bulbs in my basement and and a hue iris.

As a note I have seen the white bulbs (no ambience) for 14.97 and this is comparable to Home Depot EcoSmart bulbs so I dont think the white is over priced. In the end this system has a higher of level of support from 3rd party developers and integrates with other systems. I can connect mine to my Samsung Smart Things Hub and control them with my Harmony Remote.
Apr 27, 2010
636 posts
277 upvotes
What price point do you think a voice and geolocation activated, remote control lighting system should be?
Jan 30, 2008
12 posts
24 upvotes
calgary
The white bulbs are 12.95 at the Apple Store. Not a bad price for basic smart bulb
Dec 18, 2015
12 posts
6 upvotes
Saint Catharines
Are the bulbs at the Apple store in CDN? That's pretty decent if so.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
4250 posts
2877 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP. I missed the boat when Amazon Prime had it for $99 or $150 I think? This is a great price and can't wait to play around with it.
Last edited by ADRiiAN` on Oct 17th, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
3237 posts
908 upvotes
Toronto
jr97ai wrote: Are the bulbs at the Apple store in CDN? That's pretty decent if so.
Yup..2-3 weeks shipping. But its showing in my apple store app in cdn dollars.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2014
1081 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
Just got shot down on the price match at Home depot. If you can convince them to match it can be had for $117 plus tax or $39 pus tax per bulb
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1189 posts
1014 upvotes
Montreal
spunwasi wrote: What price point do you think a voice and geolocation activated, remote control lighting system should be?
I got the original Hue light kit in 2011, and in the middle of getting 15 more bulbs for a new house. But they are overpriced. The features of voice activation, geolocation, etc are distinct from the actual network response (since any dimmable bulb could be wired in such a system), so I don't think it's logical to compare this way. And probably (hopefully!) this will be very ordinary functionality in low cost bulbs soon.

The reason I buy them, even though they're "overpriced," is I can buy very simple light fixtures and use the actual light (rather than fixtures) to a more profound and versatile effect. Considering light fixtures are so expensive (for what they are), by spending more on bulbs that should last ten years I consider it a good approach. Today, unfortunately, there is a lot of mismatch between bulb types, dimmers, control systems, etc, so going with Hue simplifies that and my immediate choices. Since Hue has an API it can integrate with any non-proprietary system.

Hue is best used for accent lighting, if a room needs to be occasionally daylight-bright, it's best to have a second system, although as has been mentioned their "white" bulbs aren't bad.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6705 posts
2100 upvotes
Mississauga
bobbyz101 wrote: Just got shot down on the price match at Home depot. If you can convince them to match it can be had for $117 plus tax or $39 pus tax per bulb
Why did they decline your pm?
Silence is the best answer to a fool
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2014
1081 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
immortal_kssss wrote:
bobbyz101 wrote: Just got shot down on the price match at Home depot. If you can convince them to match it can be had for $117 plus tax or $39 pus tax per bulb
Why did they decline your pm?
I find my local home depot super hit and miss. Today's reasons were fairly legit

- We don't price match online online pricing
- In store you'd get a gift card not an immediate discount and we don't match these promotions
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon has it as well for $129.99 and for prime members free same day shipping.
Dec 12, 2010
229 posts
157 upvotes
Nexzen wrote: Amazon has it as well for $129.99 and for prime members free same day shipping.
Yes they do, but the specs on Amazons page say they are only 600lm bulbs, so these might be first gen. The current specs on Phillips site say they are 800lm now. I still have trouble paying $40 for a lightbulb...

https://www.amazon.ca/PHILIPS-Hue-Color ... 01BGJN81G/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)