[Best Buy] Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2020 6:03 pm
[OP]
Apr 10, 2020
211 posts
876 upvotes

[Best Buy] Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper $49.99

Step out in impeccable style and clean-cut appeal with the Philips Series 5000 hair clipper. Featuring DualCut and Trim-n-Flow Pro technologies, this clipper delivers a faster, more accurate clipping so you can look your best every day. With 28 length settings and cordless convenience, it's easy to achieve the look you want.

DualCut technology gives you a fast, accurate cut every time
Trim-n-FlowPro technology gets cut hair out of the way so it won't slow you down
Specially-designed comb prevents hair of all lengths from getting stuck
Double-sharpened stainless steel blades are self-sharpening so they always work like new
28 length settings from 0.5 to 28mm lets you set the perfect length
Completely washable, zero-maintenance design makes operation effortless
Includes a 2mm click-on comb for stubble
Ergonomic handle delivers comfort and control
46 replies
Aug 1, 2013
402 posts
313 upvotes
The Lower Mainland
How's the quality of this thing? Looking to cut my own hair without any pain from a weak clipper.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5116 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like a great price for a great product, but it doesn't look like it's on sale? This is regular price, no? Same price at Walmart and London Drugs
Jul 14, 2019
379 posts
642 upvotes
The 7000 series with vacuum from Philips Norelco is usually only $5 more when Amazon has it in stock (they don't currently) . I tried both a 5000 and 7000 series and the 7000 is definitely the better unit, in my opinion. Quality is great (for a trimmer), easy length settings, self sharpening oil-free blades (sharpened both sides), super easy to clean, battery lasts a really long time (lithium so no power loss) and I would say the vacuum realistically catches 70% of the hair, so if you're trimming your beard over the bathroom counter or sink, there is a lot less hair to worry about. Neither are waterproof or designed for use in-shower.

The BT7215 is the best trimmer out there IMO (and seems to win almost all tests/shootouts), and is often $55 on Amazon but has been as high as $79 this year. Right now it doesn't look like it's in stock though.

If you don't care about the vacuum the 5000 and 7000 series are mostly the same unit, the 7000 series is a bit nicer but the core product is the same.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8131 posts
4504 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaCPU wrote: The 7000 series with vacuum from Philips Norelco is usually only $5 more when Amazon has it in stock (they don't currently) . I tried both a 5000 and 7000 series and the 7000 is definitely the better unit, in my opinion. Quality is great (for a trimmer), easy length settings, self sharpening oil-free blades (sharpened both sides), super easy to clean, battery lasts a really long time (lithium so no power loss) and I would say the vacuum realistically catches 70% of the hair, so if you're trimming your beard over the bathroom counter or sink, there is a lot less hair to worry about. Neither are waterproof or designed for use in-shower.

The BT7215 is the best trimmer out there IMO (and seems to win almost all tests/shootouts), and is often $55 on Amazon but has been as high as $79 this year. Right now it doesn't look like it's in stock though.

If you don't care about the vacuum the 5000 and 7000 series are mostly the same unit, the 7000 series is a bit nicer but the core product is the same.
This one is for hair not beard though, difference between HC5000 and 7000 is slightly better battery and turbo mode for another $15, everything else looks the same.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5116 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaCPU wrote: The 7000 series with vacuum from Philips Norelco is usually only $5 more when Amazon has it in stock (they don't currently) . I tried both a 5000 and 7000 series and the 7000 is definitely the better unit, in my opinion. Quality is great (for a trimmer), easy length settings, self sharpening oil-free blades (sharpened both sides), super easy to clean, battery lasts a really long time (lithium so no power loss) and I would say the vacuum realistically catches 70% of the hair, so if you're trimming your beard over the bathroom counter or sink, there is a lot less hair to worry about. Neither are waterproof or designed for use in-shower.

Amazing thank you. So get the 7000 Series when it's $55.

Few questions:

Any reason you keep referring to it as a trimmer? To me trimmer sounds like it cuts a tiny bit of hair, just cleanup and keep neat.. But isn't this full on haircut clippers? Is it weak and that's why you say it's a great trimmer (but not full hair cutter?)

Edit: i just looked up your model number and it's a beard trimmer? So maybe you thought the 5000 in this series is a beard trimmer? Because it's not, it's a hair clipper. There is however a 7000 Series hair clipper, but i guess that doesn't go for $55...

It can be used both wired and wireless?

So this doesn't have plastic length guides that you snap on, with guides numbered 1 to 8 or whatever? Instead it's some sort of dial that you choose the length? Isn't that hella more convenient than having to constantly change plastic guides?

You don't have to oil blades? How does that work?

If it's not waterproof and can't be used in shower, how is it possible to be easily cleaned out by running under water as it shows?
Last edited by fightbriz on May 2nd, 2020 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 14, 2019
379 posts
642 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: Amazing thank you. So get the 7000 when it's $55.

Few questions:

Any reason you keep referring to it as a trimmer? To me trimmer sounds like it cuts a tiny bit of hair, just cleanup and keep neat.. But isn't this full on haircut clippers? Is it weak and that's why you say it's a great trimmer (but not full hair cutter?)

It can be used both wired and wireless?

So this doesn't have plastic length guides that you snap on, with guides numbered 1 to 8 or whatever? Instead it's some sort of dial that you choose the length? Isn't that hella more convenient than having to constantly change plastic guides?

You don't have to oil blades? How does that work?

If it's not waterproof and can't be used in shower, how is it possible to be easily cleaned out by running under water as it shows?
My apologies as it appears I have confused this with the beard trimmers, which have both the same design and have the same series designations. Everything I wrote above is actually regarding their beard trimmers, which are excellent, but unfortunately not relevant Face With Tears Of Joy

And just to answer your last question as it's probably similar to many Philips products, the cutting head pops off for cleaning and is waterproof, however as a complete unit you cannot use it in water.

Also regarding the guides (as they look identical to the beard trimmers), there is a single guide that you can adjust in 0.25mm increments with a handy dial, and as you already alluded to, it's a million times better than multiple snap-on guides.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5116 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto
Angultra wrote: This one is for hair not beard though, difference between HC5000 and 7000 is slightly better battery and turbo mode for another $15, everything else looks the same.
So the 7000 hair clippers are 65$... I wonder if the extra $15 is worth it..

Also why does the 5000 series here https://www.philips.ca/c-e/pe/hair-clippers/series-5000 look different from the one on Bestbuy?

Edit: the one on Bestbuy is an updated version.. The Philips website has the old HC5440 version, while Bestbuy has the newer HC5612/15 version of 5000 series hair clippers.
Last edited by fightbriz on May 2nd, 2020 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8131 posts
4504 upvotes
Toronto
fightbriz wrote: So the 7000 hair clippers are 65$? Which should I get?

Also why does the 5000 series here https://www.philips.ca/c-e/pe/hair-clippers/series-5000 look different from the one on Bestbuy?
Yeah retail for HC7650 is $65, just came back in stock: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ph ... 4/14450497

Up to you whether turbo mode is worth it, seems fair for a faster cut (says it increases power for thicker hair).
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
20791 posts
22407 upvotes
Toronto
I let the kiddos give me my first ever Mohawk haircut last week. Of course it looks terrible . That's ok as I figure it'll be a long time before things back to normal in the world. We all had a blast and they are still taking about it.

As a bonus, now nobody asks me for $ , etc when. I walk around downtown Toronto. In fact , people give me plenty of extra space Winking Face
Images
  • Screenshot_20200502-064221_Photos.jpg
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Dec 21, 2012
169 posts
75 upvotes
Where can I get a mirror with a handle to go with this? Looking for somewhere in store.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1709 posts
517 upvotes
Toronto
Shutdown wrote: Where can I get a mirror with a handle to go with this? Looking for somewhere in store.
Dollarama. I paid $1.50 for one there.
Celebrating 17+ years on RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5049 posts
4664 upvotes

is this the beard trimmer you are referring too?

https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-Beard-Tri ... 312&sr=8-2
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2004
1558 posts
154 upvotes
NOYB
"Shutdown wrote: ↑
Where can I get a mirror with a handle to go with this? Looking for somewhere in store. "
wysiwyg wrote: Dollarama. I paid $1.50 for one there.
Those are what I use.

A little advice: Buy an extra for backup as one drop and the glass will
shatter all over the floor and you'll have to make a return trip to
Dollarama for a replacement.

---=== Heatware ===--- - Available Upon Request !!! - All Positive !!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------