1118 upvotes
Alberta

[Best Buy] Polk HTS10 10 inch powered subwoofer open box $299

Has good reviews including the Home Theater discussion thread and as follows:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... U/htmlview

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... -for-home/

https://screenrant.com/best-subwoofers/

Geek Squad certified.

There is also a Marketplace seller selling for $294.99. I prefer Bestbuy.ca for easy returns.

Currently, Visions.ca has this for $397. Historically, their lowest price is reportedly at $299.

Dave
Last edited by DavidY on Feb 6th, 2021 12:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
24 replies
Jan 13, 2005
662 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Frequency Response is listed as 20Hz to 150Hz (+/- 3 dB) on the Best Buy website. Is that a typo? Even the more expensive $1000+ SVS subs struggle to reach the 20Hz threshold.
Jan 13, 2009
240 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
I picked up an open box from BB at this price last month. Very pleased with it. Replaced an older Sherwood SP10. Big difference for me.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19221 posts
6775 upvotes
Toronto
DavidY wrote: Typo. Should be 30 Hz as per URL http://comic-cons.xyz/polk-audio-hts-10 ... cs-manual/
Pretty bad place for a typo ... Only the most important stat lol

Thanks
iverson wrote: Frequency Response is listed as 20Hz to 150Hz (+/- 3 dB) on the Best Buy website. Is that a typo? Even the more expensive $1000+ SVS subs struggle to reach the 20Hz threshold.
Thanks
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2621 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
iverson wrote: Frequency Response is listed as 20Hz to 150Hz (+/- 3 dB) on the Best Buy website. Is that a typo? Even the more expensive $1000+ SVS subs struggle to reach the 20Hz threshold.
Frequency response specifications for speakers are almost always BS, especially for popular manufacturers competing with each other at major retailers. Definitely not a typo, but highly unlikely to be truthful.

Independently measured frequency response by reviewers is the only thing you can kinda trust, and even then you have to recognize that room particulars and test setup will affect the result.

nytimes' review linked in OP ranked this second in a blind listening test, despite being the cheapest, but it had the lowest output at 20Hz. So apparently it sounds very good, but 20Hz -3dB is nonsense.

But I'm not knowledgeable enough to say if you can do better for $300.

EDIT: as proven above, it looks like Polk doesn't list it as 20 Hz, but I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy did it on purpose or didn't care...
Last edited by Mintmaster on Feb 6th, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 14, 2005
810 posts
320 upvotes
Mississauga
Very happy with mine which I’ve got open box from BB as well. Replaced another Polk which came part of a package and it made a big difference
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15718 posts
2344 upvotes
Mintmaster wrote: Definitely not a typo, but highly unlikely to be truthful.
About as truthful as 'Certified Open Box'.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Apr 8, 2020
398 posts
362 upvotes
Not a very good sub. If you want budget, go Dayton sub-1200 or Monoprice 12" (but the Dayton is better).

It's around the same price from ebay or solen I believe.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14807 posts
6074 upvotes
Ottawa
Mintmaster wrote: Frequency response specifications for speakers are almost always BS, especially for popular manufacturers competing with each other at major retailers. Definitely not a typo, but highly unlikely to be truthful.

Independently measured frequency response by reviewers is the only thing you can kinda trust, and even then you have to recognize that room particulars and test setup will affect the result.

nytimes' review linked in OP ranked this second in a blind listening test, despite being the cheapest, but it had the lowest output at 20Hz. So apparently it sounds very good, but 20Hz -3dB is nonsense.

It's a typo
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Jun 3, 2007
479 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
Mintmaster wrote:

Concur with your points. It's wirecutter's review (who got bought up by NYT):
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... -for-home/

Picked it up from Amazon for $300 last fall and I'm very happy with it. I'd say if you're not in a hurry, wait - it goes on sale on Amazon somewhat regularly (see CCC chart). I chose this over the Dayton Audio.

Brent Butterworth (the subwoofer reviewer at the wirecutter) keeps a database of his testing results here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2591 posts
526 upvotes
I have the 12” of this and love it. Very good for the money.
Jan 13, 2009
240 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
JKCanada wrote: OOS :/
It’ll be back. Last month I just kept checking the page every few days until I saw it. I actually thought there’d be a bunch on Open Box after Christmas (returns) but didn’t see many.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1155 posts
612 upvotes
GTA
[quote="Jammer005" post_id=34024937 time=1612640253 user_id=207197][quote=JKCanada post_id=34024023 time=1612628939 user_id=1411768]OOS :/[/quote]

It’ll be back. Last month I just kept checking the page every few days until I saw it. I actually thought there’d be a bunch on Open Box after Christmas (returns) but didn’t see many.[/quote]

Best Buy isn’t doing returns until the end of the month. You may get lucky then.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14807 posts
6074 upvotes
Ottawa
There weren't any really good deals on the 12" version this last BF/BD, which is a very good buy. It was previously down to even $300 and $350 before. My friend bought one on my recommendation and likes it a lot.

Most people would be pretty happy with the 12" version of this sub, and I would make the case that if you can get 2 of them for $350-400 each, it would be a much better buy than a single SVS PB1000

This 10" should be ok, but I wouldn't try to use it in a large room. It's not going to reach deep at all, but if you put in a smaller room, the room gain should help out the bottom end a lot.
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.