• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2008 12:47 pm
[OP]
Dec 24, 2006
251 posts
1 upvote
Brampton

Best Buy PS3 Product Service Plan

I bought a 60GB PS3 on launch day from PS3. Luckily I bought a 3 yr. warranty as it crapped out on me 18 months after release. On Nov. 2, I took it into BB to get it serviced. Today, Dec. 28, I finally get a call from BB saying that they cannot fix it, so they're going to replace it. Due to the rarity of a 60GB, I probably will be getting another model.

My hope is to get the new 160GB model. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with BB in these kinds of scenarios? What kind of leverage do I have to warrant getting that model? Backwards compatability is the main thing that I see that i can use as leverage to warrant getting such a larger HDD. The Uncharted 160gb bundle currently sells for 519.99, 50 dollars less than i paid for my 60gb.

I believe I had Unreal tournament III or Uncharted in the disk drive when it went into servicing (couldnt eject the game disk since pressiung the eject button resulted in a red flashing light), which is another thing i could use as leverage. Anyone want to shed some light on this matter?
7 replies
[OP]
Dec 24, 2006
251 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
Anyone?? I'm sorry for bumping so soon but I'm going today to get it replaced.
Mar 11, 2002
816 posts
225 upvotes
I would argue regarding the "Hardware Compatibility" for PS2 software that the 60 GB version had, and ask for a refund (as credit) to use towards the purchase of whatever you want as opposed to them upgrading you by default to the 80 GB version. Depending if you have the black vs the blue PSP brochure the terms and conditions are different.

Short Version
- Blue PSP - Credited value is maximum of the current depreciated value as per the SKU's current price in POS.
- Black PSP - Credited value is maximum of the purchase price paid for sku.

Depending on how much you paid for your PS3 you may or may not have to add $$ to the replacement.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2006
251 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. I did have the black one. I went in today and waited 1.5 hrs in the customer service line where I was offered the 160gb bundle with drake's fortune. I tried to get the credit for 659.99 but I wasn't able to, since they did have a PS3 to replace it with. All in all, I got what I wanted so I'm pretty happy. Although I had to wait fiftysomething days, I got a game, a bigger HDD and a DS3 controller out of it, so it wasn't a complete loss. Again, thanks for your input.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18394 posts
2210 upvotes
Woodbridge
So I'm guessing you bought the PSP again with your PS3. LOL

I'm surprised it went so smooth. Congrats.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Dec 24, 2006
251 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
Hell no, no more PSP's. I only bought it because this was when the 360 RROD rate was rumoured to be at 33% and I didn't want to risk it with my PS3. This is the one and only instance where I've purchased a PSP.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7393 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
i think the psp for a console works wonders, espicially since they are always coming out with new and improved models. Last thing i want is to past the oneyear manufacturer and have a ticking time bomb waiting to fry up and cost me $200 in repairs
Mar 11, 2002
816 posts
225 upvotes
sukhvail wrote: Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. I did have the black one. I went in today and waited 1.5 hrs in the customer service line where I was offered the 160gb bundle with drake's fortune. I tried to get the credit for 659.99 but I wasn't able to, since they did have a PS3 to replace it with. All in all, I got what I wanted so I'm pretty happy. Although I had to wait fiftysomething days, I got a game, a bigger HDD and a DS3 controller out of it, so it wasn't a complete loss. Again, thanks for your input.
You should have mentioned that the hardware feature was a big deal and that the "new" ps3 was unacceptable, and take a giftcard and buy the ps3 at a later time. I did that for my macbook pro and got a new macbook, a shaw box pvr and another netbook for what i had paid 2 years before.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)