Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy Boxing Day

Razer Viper Ultimate 20000 DPI Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse with RGB Dock - Black - $99.99 / Mouse without Dock $79.99

Oct 25, 2019
20 posts
7 upvotes
Watch out on the QC on this mouse. I bought one yesterday and there is a significant wobble. Ordered a second one and the wobble is very slight. Seems others online have noted the same problem; not sure how many to go through before finding a perfect one.
Sep 16, 2011
421 posts
402 upvotes
Southern AB
chris636 wrote: Watch out on the QC on this mouse. I bought one yesterday and there is a significant wobble. Ordered a second one and the wobble is very slight. Seems others online have noted the same problem; not sure how many to go through before finding a perfect one.
Can confirm the quality control issues. I have an excellent one now, but I tried one every few months since it launched but always returned them to Best Buy. My current one is fairly recent batch, I picked it out from a few on the rack by looking at the serial numbers. Ordering straight from Razer is guaranteed to have a new batch model with white and pink, and a better chance with black, but obviously the price isn't the same.

In the serial number, both on the box and on the mouse, it looks like xx2036xxxxx, that's year and week produced. So September 2020 in that example. Also, anything newer than week 36 has the "gen 2" switches.
Last edited by seriosbrad on Nov 23rd, 2021 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jan 15, 2019
112 posts
211 upvotes
WontonNoodle wrote: whats the point of the dock? can you not charge without it?
You can charge without the dock, it comes with a micro usb wire, it connects to the mouse. However, from my experience, it charges very slowly if you're using it, so if you forget to charge it overnight and it dies the next day, you're going to spend your whole day having a wired mouse.

You don't need the dock, but it 's nice to have it for a few reasons. One, it is much more convenient to just put the mouse on the dock if you leave your computer to do something, such as make lunch, chores, shower, etc., especially if it needs a quick charge. Also, you can configure its LED to show battery level (green for >80%, yellow between 30 and 80 and red <30%, so you have a visual cue of battery levels. The dock also has a slot for the mouse's USB dongle, so you don't use an extra USB slot for it. Lastly, the dock looks really nice.

If you don't get a dock, you can still plug the wire in when you step away for quick charges, but having one is unarguably more convenient.
Oct 5, 2010
754 posts
241 upvotes
seriosbrad wrote: Can confirm the quality control issues. I have an excellent one now, but I tried one every few months since it launched but always returned them to Best Buy. My current one is fairly recent batch, I picked it out from a few on the rack by looking at the serial numbers. Ordering straight from Razer is guaranteed to have a new batch model, but obviously the price isn't the same.

In the serial number, both on the box and on the mouse, it looks like xx2036xxxxx, that's year and week produced. So September 2020 in that example. Also, anything newer than week 36 has the "gen 2" switches.
When you mean newer than week 36, you mean week 37 to 52?
Jul 15, 2019
129 posts
116 upvotes
Can you quickly switch between two devices using this mouse? For example use wired cable for one device, and use USB receiver for another? Thanks.
With the help of RFD, I've saved more than $1000!!!! (Buy spending $10000+)
[OP]
Oct 20, 2018
98 posts
363 upvotes
WontonNoodle wrote: whats the point of the dock? can you not charge without it?
you can charge mouse with USB cable directly without using dock at all.
[OP]
Oct 20, 2018
98 posts
363 upvotes
HotDealBreaker wrote: Can you quickly switch between two devices using this mouse? For example use wired cable for one device, and use USB receiver for another? Thanks.
Think this answered your question.

Apr 16, 2007
126 posts
8 upvotes
Markham
anyone else getting rattling noise when scrolling up on the scroll wheel? 352109 I assume that this one was manufactured recently in 2021. Everything is solid when shaking the mouse. The rattling when scrolling up is very annoying.

update: had to teardown to see what causes the rattle.
mouse wheel button rattle when scroll wheel is rotating.
Just bad design :(
Last edited by nwgtr on Nov 23rd, 2021 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 7, 2011
286 posts
50 upvotes
thanks ordered without the dock and will look out for the serial number
Feb 19, 2020
238 posts
224 upvotes
Is it worth it to get geeksquad warranty as well?
Sep 16, 2011
421 posts
402 upvotes
Southern AB
nwgtr wrote: anyone else getting rattling noise when scrolling up on the scroll wheel? 352109 I assume that this one was manufactured recently in 2021. Everything is solid when shaking the mouse. The rattling when scrolling up is very annoying.

update: had to teardown to see what causes the rattle.
mouse wheel button rattle when scroll wheel is rotating.
Just bad design :(
Yes, very common problem. They almost all get it. Put some lube on the shaft of the mouse wheel and it'll be good for a while. I used a dielectric grease I had laying around which got rid of it completely. It can even be done without taking it apart.
Nov 12, 2011
985 posts
472 upvotes
Ontario
Man tempting even though I have the regular wired razer viper lol

been using it for 1.5 years now and its a solid mouse, the hump is pretty low so that feel weird for people who have used mouse with high hump
Dec 11, 2008
170 posts
48 upvotes
If only this wasn't an ambidextrous mouse, would love to replace my wired deathadder with a wireless mouse
Jun 19, 2010
260 posts
61 upvotes
I switched to this after getting sick of logitech's quality tanking severely. I recommend getting the dock. It's just so convenient to dock the mouse when you're done at the end of the day and it's fully charged for the next day. If you're coming over from logitech this mouse will feel EXTREMELY LIGHT and take a while to get used to but overall I love it.
Oct 25, 2019
20 posts
7 upvotes
seriosbrad wrote: Can confirm the quality control issues. I have an excellent one now, but I tried one every few months since it launched but always returned them to Best Buy. My current one is fairly recent batch, I picked it out from a few on the rack by looking at the serial numbers. Ordering straight from Razer is guaranteed to have a new batch model with white and pink, and a better chance with black, but obviously the price isn't the same.

Where did you get your perfect copy? With or without dock? My last two I got from BestBuy on the west coast was 202049 and 202052 with dock. Wondering if I should try without dock or even Amazon to try to get a different batch.
Oct 5, 2010
754 posts
241 upvotes
chris636 wrote: Where did you get your perfect copy? With or without dock? My last two I got from BestBuy on the west coast was 202049 and 202052 with dock. Wondering if I should try without dock or even Amazon to try to get a different batch.
Those two serials a new enough to get the gen 2 switches. why do want newer ones?
Sep 16, 2011
421 posts
402 upvotes
Southern AB
chris636 wrote: Where did you get your perfect copy? With or without dock? My last two I got from BestBuy on the west coast was 202049 and 202052 with dock. Wondering if I should try without dock or even Amazon to try to get a different batch.
What I have now that I consider excellent is actually a 2049 from a Best Buy in AB, including the dock. I've had a different 2049 previously with extremely wobbly side thumb buttons before, so unfortunately there are still some problems even between same serial numbers. I'd say as long as you are on a gen 2 (2037+) switch without any other issues, I'd stick with it. If you have to return it, maybe RMA it to Razer instead for an even newer replacement.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)