Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] RBSM Pluto e-Bike - Refurbished - Only $599!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2020 3:58 am
Jan 1, 2008
298 posts
83 upvotes
Montreal
peakingduck wrote: Anyone got tips on removing the rear fender? Hard to access the screws inside and would rather not disassemble the rear wheel..
I managed to do it by deflating the rear tire to better access the 2 screws and a small flat head screwdriver. Bike looks much better now...
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3233 posts
4395 upvotes
BC
liquor wrote: I managed to do it by deflating the rear tire to better access the 2 screws and a small flat head screwdriver. Bike looks much better now...
Thanks! I was using a Phillips but the handle was getting in the way. Will look around for something smaller. Looks way better without the fender, I won't be going through puddles or riding it in the rain.

The decal branding isn't so bad but wonder if it would come off with a heat gun/hair dryer.
Jul 20, 2018
423 posts
312 upvotes
Ok so got the bike today and holy hell, there is a lot of issues with this thing.

First, the front fender was completely snapped in half, there is a huge gash down the centre of the handle bar grip which has ripped the grip tape. The rotor is pretty bent so when spinning the wheel it has a pretty substantial rub that I can't seem to get straight. There are a TON of scratches, and not only scratches but there is areas where the paint has completely come off.

Man, I know this is discounted but geez, this is not refurbished this is straight up well used. I'll update with photos shortly.
Jul 20, 2018
423 posts
312 upvotes
Koolfreak wrote: Ho... and I forget... one of the pedal thread was badly striped. I'm a plumber, and I know how to screw... and I had to do some work on the thread and put some special conpound to allow the installation... The seller just answer me about my out of the box flat... and he'll send me a tube.
not sure if this was on purpose but one of my wheels was left hand thread and other was right hand thread.. Took me a second to figure that out.

Overall condition is about 6/10.. not super impressed.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3233 posts
4395 upvotes
BC
TURNIPtheBEET wrote: not sure if this was on purpose but one of my wheels was left hand thread and other was right hand thread.. Took me a second to figure that out.

Overall condition is about 6/10.. not super impressed.
Yeah that's on purpose.

Sorry to hear about your bike, good thing is CSR seems to be fast and the other guy that got a busted bike reported that he got a new bike was a replacement.

Good luck
Nov 2, 2018
120 posts
56 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: Yeah that's on purpose.

Sorry to hear about your bike, good thing is CSR seems to be fast and the other guy that got a busted bike reported that he got a new bike was a replacement.

Good luck
That was me! They're sending the new bike Monday after CANPAR got back my busted bike. RBSM sent me a return label by the way then CANPAR arrived the next day. I got lucky because the bike frame was really banged up and in terrible condition.
Jul 20, 2018
423 posts
312 upvotes
Mikedealhunter wrote:
That was me! They're sending the new bike Monday after CANPAR got back my busted bike. RBSM sent me a return label by the way then CANPAR arrived the next day. I got lucky because the bike frame was really banged up and in terrible condition.
CSR got back to me today after emailing last night. My frame is also very damaged and front wheel rotor is bent. They told me they would give me an answer on Monday so it’s good to hear they are at least taking action and sending replacement bikes if necessary.

I expect mine will be replaced possibly, the aluminum is quite exposed on quite a few areas of the frame, along with several other issues. Overall I do like the bike though so I’m hoping I’ll be able to work something out with them.

Here are a few photos
Images
  • 301103D6-8DD0-4DD4-96FB-114FD2EC5272.jpeg
  • C1FF7D3A-B7AF-4437-8221-A9109A18A877.jpeg
  • E9B02FED-C6B9-4E2C-9DA0-C96E760BA63D.jpeg
  • F301CAFE-FE29-402D-B7D1-9131BAA589A0.jpeg
  • 2F9AEE98-A200-481D-906E-D519940DCE49.jpeg
  • 0EA61999-686A-4DFE-9B64-1B19B9252EF5.jpeg
  • 0D5A72F6-39FD-4DF7-B4C7-B4E7DD34770D.jpeg
Last edited by TURNIPtheBEET on Nov 6th, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 20, 2018
423 posts
312 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: Yeah that's on purpose.

Good luck
Thanks, yah they were quick. Got a response his morning and they are reviewing the photos/videos I’ve sent. Was happy to see a response so quickly this morning. So far so good in terms of CS.
Nov 2, 2018
120 posts
56 upvotes
TURNIPtheBEET wrote: CSR got back to me today after emailing last night. My frame is also very damaged and front wheel rotor is bent. They told me they would give me an answer on Monday so it’s good to hear they are at least taking action and sending replacement bikes if necessary.

I expect mine will be replaced possibly, the aluminum is quite exposed on quite a few areas of the frame, along with several other issues. Overall I do like the bike though so I’m hoping I’ll be able to work something out with them.

Here are a few photos
Yup and just be patient and wait. They will check how bad it is and will give you a decision if a new bike or a refurb that was totally reconditioned by their bike mechanic.
Mar 17, 2006
201 posts
208 upvotes
Received my bike 2 days ago, and rode about 12KM on it so far and quite satisfied despite some cosmetic paint scuffs and scratches and missing bolts. I strongly recommend making sure that all the screws and bolts are tightened all around the bike. I noticed some loose screws on crucial areas the could compromise safety. These are definitely 'Used' bikes and not 'refurbished'. If they were refurbished, there wouldn't be so many complaints about obvious missing and broken stuff.

The good thing is that I think most of the parts are non-proprietary and can be replaced. The LCD display on the handle bar is not proprietary as I had thought, so it can be replaced.

LCD Display Module: https://www.plusebike.com/kd85c-product/
Manual: https://www.towerelectricbikes.com/Shar ... -Final.pdf
Jan 8, 2006
21 posts
18 upvotes
I finally got mine. Haven't assembled or tested it yet but here some picts of how it came. I would say it's boarder line 9/10....more like an 8.
Images
  • 20201106_114633.jpg
  • 20201106_113556.jpg
  • 20201106_113400.jpg
  • 20201106_113312.jpg
  • 20201106_113208.jpg
  • 20201106_113204.jpg
  • 20201106_113155.jpg
  • 20201106_113149.jpg
  • 20201106_113137.jpg
  • 20201106_112944.jpg
  • 20201106_112919.jpg
  • 20201106_112835.jpg
  • 20201106_112616.jpg
  • 20201106_112748.jpg
  • 20201106_112757.jpg
  • 20201106_112803.jpg
  • 20201106_112812.jpg
  • 20201106_115745.jpg
Mar 17, 2006
201 posts
208 upvotes
I had that lock. The bike it was attached to was stolen in my underground condo lot. The thieves shredded right through it. I wouldn't recommended the Via Velo lock for this kind of bike. I got a chain lock that like this: https://www.probikekit.ca/cycling-acces ... 73715.html. The Lockpicking lawyer uses this lock, so must be at least decent:
Nov 4, 2016
184 posts
356 upvotes
got my bike yesterday - seems to be in decent shape overall, but the rear tire is popped or punctured it seems - I inflated it last night, and it was deflated the next morning... hoping they can send a replacement. But then i'll have to learn how to replace the tire..... :S
Nov 4, 2016
184 posts
356 upvotes
got my bike yesterday - seems to be in decent shape overall, but the rear tire is popped or punctured it seems - I inflated it last night, and it was deflated the next morning... hoping they can send a replacement. But then i'll have to learn how to replace the tire..... :S
Jan 8, 2006
21 posts
18 upvotes
I have finally assembled the bike and encountered a few challenges:

- I had to get a new rear derailleur (well, new from craigslist), as the one that came on the bike had a twisted cage and caused one cog to always skip or jump. I tried my best to dial it in, but once I compensated for it another cog started to skip. Swapped out the derailleur and all is fine.
- All the brakes needed adjustments (including the pre-installed rear, which was a pain as the "motor" blocked the dial on the back side of the caliper). Mine were dragging pretty hard.
- The fork was slightly loose in the headtube (there was noticeable play).

All in all, even with these challenges, I am pretty happy with the bike (especially at the price I paid for it). My odometer showed 0.7KM and the battery seemed to charge up fine (only went on a 5min test ride). I recalled someone else said this: anyone who gets this bike, give it a once over before committing to a long ride, as there was a bunch of "loose" stuff on it. As for my derailleur issues, I think it was more due to shipping damage that anything else as there was no support of the derailleur in anyway inside the box (not even foam blocks). Also, my bike seemed to have come complete with everything except for a few clips to hold the brake cables to the frame (nothing a few zip ties can't solve).
Mar 17, 2006
201 posts
208 upvotes
kiru wrote: I have finally assembled the bike and encountered a few challenges:

- I had to get a new rear derailleur (well, new from craigslist), as the one that came on the bike had a twisted cage and caused one cog to always skip or jump. I tried my best to dial it in, but once I compensated for it another cog started to skip. Swapped out the derailleur and all is fine.
- All the brakes needed adjustments (including the pre-installed rear, which was a pain as the "motor" blocked the dial on the back side of the caliper). Mine were dragging pretty hard.
- The fork was slightly loose in the headtube (there was noticeable play).

All in all, even with these challenges, I am pretty happy with the bike (especially at the price I paid for it). My odometer showed 0.7KM and the battery seemed to charge up fine (only went on a 5min test ride). I recalled someone else said this: anyone who gets this bike, give it a once over before committing to a long ride, as there was a bunch of "loose" stuff on it. As for my derailleur issues, I think it was more due to shipping damage that anything else as there was no support of the derailleur in anyway inside the box (not even foam blocks). Also, my bike seemed to have come complete with everything except for a few clips to hold the brake cables to the frame (nothing a few zip ties can't solve).
I think you should be compensated for having to replace the derailleur on your own. That's a pretty important piece on the bike. It should not be damaged when you receive it, even for a refurb. I had some skipping on my rear derailleur as well, but I just had to adjust the tension a bit, and it was fine. There was no structural damage to the derailleur. If I didn't know some basic bike tune-up, and maintenance, I would be like WTF?
Jan 1, 2008
298 posts
83 upvotes
Montreal
Made a few short trips in the city so far and really enjoying the bike. Level 1 is generally more than enough to get me up to cruise speed.

First real test tomorrow - 40KM ride to go in the suburbs hope the battery won't let me down! Edit: more than one third of battery left after 40KM... I really enjoyed passing all the cyclist racers and feel like I'm 20 years younger!

BTW price now up to 1399 on Bestbuy for the refurbs
Mar 17, 2006
201 posts
208 upvotes
Was searching to make sure I can replace the parts if anything broke down. All in all, I'm estimating the cost of the parts alone for this bike (minus the frame), would be at least $750. With frame included, I'm guessing this is a $1200 bike at least, so I recommend not cheaping out on the lock for the bike. I recommend the Krptonite Evolution 4 Mini Chain lock $80 probikekit.ca, and/or at least the Kryptonite Evolution 4 D-lock.

Motor $160:
https://www.bafang-e.com/en/oem-area/co ... g020350dc/
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 85065.html

LCD Display $50:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 29840.html

Front Wheel hub $40:
http://www.modusnakano.com/product_detail.php?id=11

Rear Derailleur (Shimano Altus 9-speed) $50: https://www.sportchek.ca/product/shiman ... =332736875

Disc Brake Caliper ($25)
https://www.amazon.ca/Tektro-MD-M300-Ac ... B07C8BTYN8

Tires 2 x $30 = $60 + tax:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kend ... 7266p.html

Battery (LG 3.7 v 3400 mah LG18650) - not sure about this though $346:
https://ca.dhgate.com/product/48v-lithi ... qoEALw_wcB

Battery Charger $40:
https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Charger-L ... B07589PZCP
Last edited by adangca on Nov 9th, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3233 posts
4395 upvotes
BC
I haven't ridden my bike yet but when I roll it forward I hear slight rubbing of the front brakes, anyone know how to fix this? Doesn't seem normal.

I'll probably take it for a tune-up later on during spring but want to make sure nothings permanently bent causing this rubbing.