Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] RBSM Pluto e-Bike - Refurbished - Only $599!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2020 3:58 am
Mar 17, 2006
201 posts
208 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: I haven't ridden my bike yet but when I roll it forward I hear slight rubbing of the front brakes, anyone know how to fix this? Doesn't seem normal.

I'll probably take it for a tune-up later on during spring but want to make sure nothings permanently bent causing this rubbing.
Is it a scraping sound? Or does it sound like rubber squeaking?

1) If it's sounds like squeaking rubber, add a slight drop of bike lube to where the rubber joint connects to the hub. This worked for me.

2) If it's a scraping sound, it sounds like you have to realign your disc brake calipers. This video helped me a lot:
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3233 posts
4395 upvotes
BC
adangca wrote: Is it a scraping sound? Or does it sound like rubber squeaking?

1) If it's sounds like squeaking rubber, add a slight drop of bike lube to where the rubber joint connects to the hub. This worked for me.

2) If it's a scraping sound, it sounds like you have to realign your disc brake calipers. This video helped me a lot:
It's a scraping sound, thanks for the video! Will give it a go tonight
Jul 3, 2017
223 posts
253 upvotes
Coquitlam
Arggg... Canpar is such a bad courier, apparently their estimated dates for delivery isn't worth anything. Luckily, I didn't take a day off work.

Still waiting for the bike, ordered on Oct. 23rd.
Dec 25, 2016
17 posts
2 upvotes
I received mine last Wednesday and am very happy with it. A few cosmetic scratches but otherwise looks new and had barely anything on the odometer. Now I’m able to take a new route to work with more hills and knocked 12 mins off each way. Thanks OP for posting this deal.

I called my local bike shop to ask if they could take a look and make sure it’s built right as I know zilch about bikes, they said $125 to look at it... so I’ve been researching on YouTube re: taking care of the bike chain, etc. Anyone know anything about racks? I’d like to add a rear one.
Mar 4, 2014
118 posts
19 upvotes
Another dud battery, again the packaging was very poor, battery was partially sticking out of the box and the cells were popping out. Also, for some reason this battery has extra wires which connect to nothing. Sadly it does not work. Escalating with support again.

I also don't like the fact they only send the battery without controller (controller is attached to battery), if I didn't have some knowledge about electronics how can the average Joe install this?
Images
  • IMG_2602.jpg
  • IMG_2603.jpg
Dec 10, 2005
246 posts
51 upvotes
I'll just add that I absolutely had to adjust my front brake calipers as well.
- You want that front wheel to spin for a good while if you give it a spin while holding the wheel off the ground. I was only able to get like half a wheel spin out-of-the-box (my calipers were already mounted when I got my bike).
- Loosing the big silver bolt on the backside of the caliper by one notch really helped alleviate that problem.
- Front wheel spins like normal now.
- This was my first bike with disc brakes. Seems quite good! Very strong stopping power.

Replaced my handlebar grips with these:
https://www.amazon.ca/VeloChampion-Moun ... rts&sr=1-4
- they're the exact same length as the RBSM default ones

I definitely prefer the new grips. I found the default ones uncomfortable and insufficiently grippy (plus mine also had some out-of-the-box damage+scrapes).
- Removal/installation of lock-on grips is super easy.
Mar 4, 2014
118 posts
19 upvotes
Looks like they will be sending me another battery, that will make it 3 sets now. The bad ones can probably be fixed relatively easy, I have some soldering and hobby Lipo battery skills, maybe.

If anyone looking for a handle bar riser this works real well for the Pluto R: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08CRG ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm not a fan of Presta, this fix it up nicely: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TWX ... UTF8&psc=1
Jan 18, 2013
22 posts
24 upvotes
paksau wrote: Looks like they will be sending me another battery, that will make it 3 sets now. The bad ones can probably be fixed relatively easy, I have some soldering and hobby Lipo battery skills, maybe.

If anyone looking for a handle bar riser this works real well for the Pluto R: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08CRG ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm not a fan of Presta, this fix it up nicely: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TWX ... UTF8&psc=1
How are you sure it’s the battery and not something else ?
Dec 25, 2008
62 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
After three weeks of waiting for it, finally got it the other day. Bike was in pretty good shape when I got it, some dings and scratches but nothing crazy. Needed to bring it in to get adjustments as the brakes were a bit wonky, but a small price to pay.

Battery wasn't gaining a charge and reached out to CR, who helpfully dispatched a new one to me so should be able to swap it out.

For $599... despite the problems, remains a deal of the year in my books!
Mar 4, 2014
118 posts
19 upvotes
frankoeltanko wrote: How are you sure it’s the battery and not something else ?
I don't know for sure, but out of the box battery would not hold a charge so they sent me a new one, but unfortunately it was damaged so they are sending me another one with the promise it will be packed much better.

This is the condition the 2nd battery came with cells popping out.
Images
  • IMG_2602.jpg
Mar 17, 2006
201 posts
208 upvotes
The bike is $749 refurbished at BestBuy now until Dec. 4th . I wouldn't buy this unless you are willing to gamble that you are going to get a bike and all components in "working" condition, and have decent know-how on how to adjust brakes/derailliers/chains etc. Otherwise, the bike is exceptional value at even $749 in 'working' order. Gamble at your own risk ....
Jul 20, 2018
423 posts
312 upvotes
How long did it take people to hear from Todd and get your issue resolved?

I got a reply the next day but radio silent since then..
Jul 3, 2017
223 posts
253 upvotes
Coquitlam
Can't express enough how I hate Canpar.... Nov 9th estimated delivery date and no show. Then I get a notification on the 12th saying it will be delivered today on the 13th. Surely it's exciting to see the status that it is with the courier and is "out for delivery". No show again.... Now have to wait until Monday. Pouting FacePouting FacePouting Face
Jul 3, 2017
223 posts
253 upvotes
Coquitlam
Ok after enough ranting, they came today on a Saturday.

Box was in alright condition, a few holes. The bike was literally 9.5 / 10, only chipped paint where the pedals attach and where the front wheel attaches. Odometer is 0km and battery is 4 bars! I'll attach photos later.

Too bad it's pouring rain right now. I would like to give it a run, probably need to adjust the brakes first.
Jan 8, 2006
21 posts
18 upvotes
Finally ready for the daily commute (at least when the rain stops). :)
Images
  • 20201114_165905.jpg
Nov 2, 2018
120 posts
56 upvotes
amyellow wrote: Can't express enough how I hate Canpar.... Nov 9th estimated delivery date and no show. Then I get a notification on the 12th saying it will be delivered today on the 13th. Surely it's exciting to see the status that it is with the courier and is "out for delivery". No show again.... Now have to wait until Monday. Pouting FacePouting FacePouting Face
Yeah depends on the location I guess, my CANPAR guy here in YEG is really a dedicated one, he’s the one who brought in and took back my crappy bike and the same guy who brought the bike replacement to me again. I only got 1 day delay from the ETA. He wants to know the back story of my delivery, why the return and all that. Very chatty, fun guy I guess lol
Jul 3, 2017
223 posts
253 upvotes
Coquitlam
Mikedealhunter wrote: Yeah depends on the location I guess, my CANPAR guy here in YEG is really a dedicated one, he’s the one who brought in and took back my crappy bike and the same guy who brought the bike replacement to me again. I only got 1 day delay from the ETA. He wants to know the back story of my delivery, why the return and all that. Very chatty, fun guy I guess lol
So you got a new bike? That's good to know that some couriers are good. It's not the first time for me though, delays for me all the time from Canpar... Just wished they had more accurate notifications.

Some photos here. Again, the bike I got looks like someone assembled it and the disassembled it. Odometer at 0km. Will try it out when it's not raining.... According to google it's raining the whole week Expressionless Face
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Sep 1, 2010
20 posts
13 upvotes
Surrey
Took my bike for its first proper ride today. I'm very impressed! For those who live in Vancouver (as a reference) I went from Granville and Broadway to the end of Spanish Banks and back. I was using the motor on 1 or 2 out of 10 for most of the trip (went up to 4 for a couple really steep hills) and by the time I got home, I was still at 4 out of 5 on the battery. Round trip was 15 KM.

I did notice a couple issues:

1) My seat (default setting) was too far back, and leaning forward was hurting my back. It looks like this is slightly adjustable with one of the Allen wrenches.

2) Everything below #3 on the gears is skipping. I'm not sure why that would be -- not in any way an expert on bike mechanics. Unless someone has a recommendation, I'll probably take it into a shop. That said, using it on gear #3 for the entire trip with 1/10 or even 0/10 on the motor was totally fine.

Overall, I feel like it was excellent value! Excited to use it more in the summer.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3233 posts
4395 upvotes
BC
TURNIPtheBEET wrote: How long did it take people to hear from Todd and get your issue resolved?

I got a reply the next day but radio silent since then..
You ever get a reply from him?

I shot him an email recently and haven't heard back. Got my missing pedal from him but noticed the charger is a bit damaged.
Jul 20, 2018
423 posts
312 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: You ever get a reply from him?

I shot him an email recently and haven't heard back. Got my missing pedal from him but noticed the charger is a bit damaged.
Nope, was told I’d hear something on last Monday and still nothing.