Shopping Discussion

Best Buy Return and Re-Purchase (Change method of payment)

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2021 8:15 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 9, 2019
137 posts
69 upvotes

Best Buy Return and Re-Purchase (Change method of payment)

Does anyone know if you can return a product purchased online on visa and return to store and repurchase cash? Tried online chat and they said to call store, called store and no answer only machine message saying go online.
12 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2534 posts
1319 upvotes
London
urbanshack wrote: Does anyone know if you can return a product purchased online on visa and return to store and repurchase cash? Tried online chat and they said to call store, called store and no answer only machine message saying go online.
just go to the c/s desk say u want to buy with a dif payment method they should refund to original and take the money to pay for it shouldn't be an issue.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 9, 2019
137 posts
69 upvotes
Ok so I’ll have to wait til they open up again?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2534 posts
1319 upvotes
London
urbanshack wrote: Ok so I’ll have to wait til they open up again?
if your in Ontario ya. depending on where in Ontario u are that could be the 16th or i think the week after for other areas that are higher cases.
Newbie
Oct 22, 2020
51 posts
161 upvotes
If it's a marketplace item, no you can't.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 18, 2008
2992 posts
977 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, you can.
Only thing is that it'll be at the current sale price of the item. Also, you'll obviously have to wait for lockdown to end, if that applies to your region.

P.S. In case you're unaware, some/most credit cards offer 1 extra year of warranty extension.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
3085 posts
3041 upvotes
GTA
Avenger wrote: Sounds silly, just deposit the cash and pay the credit card.
Yeah, doesn't make sense. If you have enough cash to purchase the item then you have the cash to pay off the credit card. I see no benefit to doing what OP wants to do especially if the CC bill is due before the OP has a chance to return/repurchase the item.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28309 posts
8760 upvotes
Avenger wrote: Sounds silly, just deposit the cash and pay the credit card.
tew wrote: Yeah, doesn't make sense. If you have enough cash to purchase the item then you have the cash to pay off the credit card. I see no benefit to doing what OP wants to do especially if the CC bill is due before the OP has a chance to return/repurchase the item.
Agreed but it's possible OP has outstanding debt on the CC. In this case because CC companies/banks are scammers, the way it works is whatever you pay goes towards existing balance before new purchases IIRC. That means if you are already paying interest you lock yourself in for paying more interest on anything else you buy (unless you can pay the balance entirely). This is why I stopped having/using credit cards for years now lol. If you get into debt using them you can be screwed for a very long time :|

The only way you don't pay interest on CCs is if you have a clear balance and keep it that way every month/every time you buy something. Granted this is how some people use their cards but not everyone.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
3085 posts
3041 upvotes
GTA
ES_Revenge wrote: Agreed but it's possible OP has outstanding debt on the CC. In this case because CC companies/banks are scammers, the way it works is whatever you pay goes towards existing balance before new purchases IIRC. That means if you are already paying interest you lock yourself in for paying more interest on anything else you buy (unless you can pay the balance entirely). This is why I stopped having/using credit cards for years now lol. If you get into debt using them you can be screwed for a very long time :|

The only way you don't pay interest on CCs is if you have a clear balance and keep it that way every month/every time you buy something. Granted this is how some people use their cards but not everyone.
In that case (OP can't pay off entire CC balance) it wouldn't make any difference if the OP paid off the existing CC debt with the cash and added this purchase as new debt or left the existing CC debt unpaid and bought the item with cash. If you don't pay off the entire balance interest is charged from the purchase date not the CC statement date, so even if you paid off the balance one day after the due date you would not owe one day's interest you would owe interest from the purchase date which would be any where from 1- 63 days.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28309 posts
8760 upvotes
tew wrote: In that case (OP can't pay off entire CC balance) it wouldn't make any difference if the OP paid off the existing CC debt with the cash and added this purchase as new debt or left the existing CC debt unpaid and bought the item with cash.
True but I was not presuming one would forego paying any money into the CC of what is owned--that would just rack up fees on top of interest for missed/late payments. If you've ever racked up some CC debt you have to realise the only way you get out of that debt is to stop using the CCs. Now one might focus solely on paying off the debt and not buying any new unnecessary things as well, as that would be the best idea; but people tend to want to buy things esp. ppl on this forum enticed by all the deals and whatnot all the time ;) If you're going to buy other things, and are trying to eliminate a CC debt in the background, that's alright as long as you don't put that thing on the CC too.

Now we have no idea why the OP is asking this question nor what their situation is; but I'm just saying if one wants to get out of CC debt they have to stop using CCs. Been there, done that, never again. It's an incredibly hard cycle to get out of, but once you do, you never want to see a CC again :lol:
tew wrote: If you don't pay off the entire balance interest is charged from the purchase date not the CC statement date, so even if you paid off the balance one day after the due date you would not owe one day's interest you would owe interest from the purchase date which would be any where from 1- 63 days.
Exactly.
Newbie
Feb 14, 2021
2 posts
Pretty sure they will only return to the same payment method. Of course this depends entirely on store location.

Top