• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 8:49 pm
[OP]
Jan 17, 2010
879 posts
361 upvotes
Port Coquitlam

[Best Buy] Ring Alarm 5-Piece Security Kit with a free Amazon Dot 3 $199.98

BB early labour day deal. Ring Alarm 5-Piece Security Kit with a free Amazon Dot 3 at 199.98. Get a free Amazon Echo Show 5 when you spend $249 or more on select smart home products.

edit: If you buy 8-Piece package at 259.99, you can get free Amazon Dot 3 and Amazon Echo Show 5
8-Piece package
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 29th, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added price to title
207 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2094 posts
1398 upvotes
Calgary
Really happy with Ring alarm. We have had it for a year now. Bought it around this time last year on a sale, also at Best Buy.

Just to note it may be worth getting the 8 piece package from Best Buy for $60 more (believe it comes with 3 more door/window sensors which retail for $25 each).

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ri ... h/14548390
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2094 posts
1398 upvotes
Calgary
jarfgames wrote: Really happy with Ring alarm. We have had it for a year now. Bought it around this time last year on a sale, also at Best Buy.

Just to note it may be worth getting the 8 piece package from Best Buy for $60 more (believe it comes with 3 more door/window sensors which retail for $25 each).

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ri ... h/14548390
Just noticed this 8 piece set is a much more hot deal because it appears you get BOTH a free Echo Show 5 and Echo Dot with it. So my opinion would strongly skew to spending the extra $60.
[OP]
Jan 17, 2010
879 posts
361 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
jarfgames wrote: Just noticed this 8 piece set is a much more hot deal because it appears you get BOTH a free Echo Show 5 and Echo Dot with it. So my opinion would strongly skew to spending the extra $60.
You are right, pay extra $60 you get 3 more door/window sensors plus Echo Show 5, about 150 retail price.
For people with Echo system already and live in a smaller space (e.g. apartment), the basic 5 piece may still be a good choice.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2094 posts
1398 upvotes
Calgary
cheney wrote: You are right, pay extra $60 you get 3 more door/window sensors plus Echo Show 5, about 150 retail price.
For people with Echo system already and live in a smaller space (e.g. apartment), the basic 5 piece may still be a good choice.
At the very least you could sell the Echo Show on Kijiji for say $30-$40. That gets you the extra 3 sensors for a net of $20-$30 total. Very worth it in my opinion. I see little reason to buy the 5 piece kit.
Dec 3, 2013
439 posts
63 upvotes
Brampton, ON
How much is the subscription per month?
[OP]
Jan 17, 2010
879 posts
361 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
sjangss wrote: How much is the subscription per month?
How much does the Ring Protect Plan cost?

Ring Alarm and professional monitoring are available in Canada.

Ring Protect Plus Plan (professional monitoring)
$10 per month
$100 Annually
Save $20 with annual purchase.
Ring Protect Basic Plan (professional monitoring)
$3 per month
$30 Annually
Save $6 with annual purchase.
Ring Protect Free Plan (self monitoring)
Included with all Ring devices.
No additional charge
Dec 3, 2013
439 posts
63 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Looking to replace my alarm subscription with another company that I pay $25 a month... so this would be a good replace option? I dont think i would need the protection plan and I have the doorbell already
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9705 posts
1200 upvotes
GTA
cheney wrote: Ring Protect Basic Plan (professional monitoring)
$3 per month
$30 Annually
To clarify it looks like the Basic Plan is just for video recording for one device. Does not include alarm monitoring.

https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans
$100 for the year for alarm monitoring is great deal though.

Someone in one of the reviews I saw says that they call the customer but do not dispatch police/fire/etc. Is that true? Or does the dispatch centre in Canada dispatch police if needed before talking to someone?

https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans
May 29, 2011
213 posts
179 upvotes
Markham
As a point of reference I bought the 2nd gen 14 piece kit direct from Ring for approx $260 USD with no tax or additional charges shipped to my door. That comes with 2 keypads which offers some added utility for most homes.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9705 posts
1200 upvotes
GTA
sjangss wrote: Looking to replace my alarm subscription with another company that I pay $25 a month... so this would be a good replace option? I dont think i would need the protection plan and I have the doorbell already
I installed this for my mom and works pretty well. A lot of happy customers over the various Ring threads. One thing you might want to consider is depending on the kind of alarm you have right now you can add a card to the alarm system that would let you self monitor (ie. send you messages on your phone/etc). If you have a lot of contact points that are currently all hard wired might be worth going that route. I don't know details about the process but remember people talking about adding additional control modules to existings systems.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1162 posts
513 upvotes
Very happy with my Ring alarm setup. I think it is $150 CAD per year - the $100 price shown above is USD and only for US. I tried to get them to charge me in USD but they wouldn’t do it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34413 posts
20445 upvotes
Center of Universe
YLSF wrote: I installed this for my mom and works pretty well. A lot of happy customers over the various Ring threads. One thing you might want to consider is depending on the kind of alarm you have right now you can add a card to the alarm system that would let you self monitor (ie. send you messages on your phone/etc). If you have a lot of contact points that are currently all hard wired might be worth going that route. I don't know details about the process but remember people talking about adding additional control modules to existings systems.
It's a retro fit module, but you still need to purchase an alarm kit.

https://shop.ring.com/products/retrofit ... gJlN_D_BwE