Since it doesn't support HomeKit, I'm just wondering what is it like using this on iOS and even Android? I guess since Amazon owns Ring now, it'll only support Alexa.bobjunior wrote: ↑ I have the larger system from ring with two keypads, two motions, three door contacts and an extender. I had to buy two extra door contacts to monitor each door in my house/garage.
We are getting rid of a DSC Alexor wireless system (Sasktel Securtek) that has failed a few times and is a system I cannot fix (installer codes required, etc) as well as not being able to be "smart" integrated. We were paying about $30 for monitoring, which is on the low end of most alarm monitoring in Canada.
Here is the link to the system:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ri ... 11040.aspx?
I rounded out the system with a few things... A ring pro doorbell and a ring spotlight camera are used for video on the front and rear of the house. The cameras are direct wired and detect motion quite well and are fairly configurable. I also installed Schlage connect door locks on the three entry doors to my house.
https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-BE469NXCA ... ge+connect
Door lock integration with ring was added in November and Alexa integration a week ago.
Setting the system up was a breeze. One evening (about 3 hours) was spent installing the core system and configuring. A couple hours for installation and configuration of the doorbell, and an hour for the spotlight cam. Door locks were about 1 hour each of installation and configuration.
I recently found a deal on ebay for a zwave smoke first alert smoke/CO detector and it was a 30 minute installation.
https://www.amazon.ca/ZCOMBO-Z-Wave-Det ... wave+smoke
All in all, the system is great. I love the integration of everything. Notifications times for motion on cameras are quite acceptable and false "alarms" are almost non-existent. We live on a street across from a school with a fair bit of traffic, both foot and vehicle. I've set the doorbell to only monitor our driveway to the house. The door locks will automatically sync to codes for your users that you configure within the ring app. I have two children that are approaching their teenage years. This allows us to see what is going on, both from a security standpoint plus from a family standpoint (late night arrival, tons of friends over, etc). I am happy they didn't have this when I was in my formative years...
- Advanced configuration of door locks is not exposed within the ring app (auto door lock, alarms, etc). This feature is available through Smartthings using custom device handlers.
- Integration of a zwave garage door controller has not been added. Unsure if this is on the horizon or not.(https://www.amazon.ca/GoControl-Linear- ... arage+door)
- I've not tested other zwave/zigbees devices, but understand that you need to buy their own contacts/motions/etc for consistency.
- Initially, I was planning on using Smartthings for everything. I found it somewhat buggy and dependent on the user community for full functionality. I was able to run it fine, but other members in my family found it to technical. I still use smartthings for a few devices in the house.
- I have a Wyze camera at our cabin. I was going to setup these cameras for our city house, but the ring system cost was justified, by not having to protect the Wyze cameras from the elements, running power and not integrating. I plan to install a ring alarm at the lake and add another Wyze camera to provide video monitoring. We don't have a wired doorbell at the lake and I'm more concerned about securing the interior of the cabin.
My rating 8.5 out of 10. I would almost never rate anything 10, nothing is perfect. I would recommend this system to anyone.
Does Ring have any indoor cameras? How long does it take for notifications to arrive on your phone when Ring detects motion? What is your definition of acceptable? Does the camera record instantly or is there a delay? It seems like most cameras like the Arlos and Logitech Circles have a bit of a delay since they're wireless and trying to conserve battery life.
Are you subscribing to Ring's monitoring service?