Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Ring Alarm System Whole Home Security $219.98 with free Echo Dot Gen 3

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 7:04 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19542 posts
592 upvotes
Shanghai, China
bobjunior wrote: I have the larger system from ring with two keypads, two motions, three door contacts and an extender. I had to buy two extra door contacts to monitor each door in my house/garage.

We are getting rid of a DSC Alexor wireless system (Sasktel Securtek) that has failed a few times and is a system I cannot fix (installer codes required, etc) as well as not being able to be "smart" integrated. We were paying about $30 for monitoring, which is on the low end of most alarm monitoring in Canada.

Here is the link to the system:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ri ... 11040.aspx?

I rounded out the system with a few things... A ring pro doorbell and a ring spotlight camera are used for video on the front and rear of the house. The cameras are direct wired and detect motion quite well and are fairly configurable. I also installed Schlage connect door locks on the three entry doors to my house.

https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-BE469NXCA ... ge+connect

Door lock integration with ring was added in November and Alexa integration a week ago.

Setting the system up was a breeze. One evening (about 3 hours) was spent installing the core system and configuring. A couple hours for installation and configuration of the doorbell, and an hour for the spotlight cam. Door locks were about 1 hour each of installation and configuration.

I recently found a deal on ebay for a zwave smoke first alert smoke/CO detector and it was a 30 minute installation.
https://www.amazon.ca/ZCOMBO-Z-Wave-Det ... wave+smoke

All in all, the system is great. I love the integration of everything. Notifications times for motion on cameras are quite acceptable and false "alarms" are almost non-existent. We live on a street across from a school with a fair bit of traffic, both foot and vehicle. I've set the doorbell to only monitor our driveway to the house. The door locks will automatically sync to codes for your users that you configure within the ring app. I have two children that are approaching their teenage years. This allows us to see what is going on, both from a security standpoint plus from a family standpoint (late night arrival, tons of friends over, etc). I am happy they didn't have this when I was in my formative years...

Drawbacks:
- Advanced configuration of door locks is not exposed within the ring app (auto door lock, alarms, etc). This feature is available through Smartthings using custom device handlers.
- Integration of a zwave garage door controller has not been added. Unsure if this is on the horizon or not.(https://www.amazon.ca/GoControl-Linear- ... arage+door)
- I've not tested other zwave/zigbees devices, but understand that you need to buy their own contacts/motions/etc for consistency.

Last notes:
- Initially, I was planning on using Smartthings for everything. I found it somewhat buggy and dependent on the user community for full functionality. I was able to run it fine, but other members in my family found it to technical. I still use smartthings for a few devices in the house.
- I have a Wyze camera at our cabin. I was going to setup these cameras for our city house, but the ring system cost was justified, by not having to protect the Wyze cameras from the elements, running power and not integrating. I plan to install a ring alarm at the lake and add another Wyze camera to provide video monitoring. We don't have a wired doorbell at the lake and I'm more concerned about securing the interior of the cabin.

My rating 8.5 out of 10. I would almost never rate anything 10, nothing is perfect. I would recommend this system to anyone.
Since it doesn't support HomeKit, I'm just wondering what is it like using this on iOS and even Android? I guess since Amazon owns Ring now, it'll only support Alexa.

Does Ring have any indoor cameras? How long does it take for notifications to arrive on your phone when Ring detects motion? What is your definition of acceptable? Does the camera record instantly or is there a delay? It seems like most cameras like the Arlos and Logitech Circles have a bit of a delay since they're wireless and trying to conserve battery life.

Are you subscribing to Ring's monitoring service?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4456 posts
1022 upvotes
Wat
I bought the bigger kit for $359.99 but my echo dot shows as $0 on receipt.. Damn.
Mar 4, 2014
914 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
Does the alarm panel need to be plugged in or does it run on battery?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3496 posts
847 upvotes
Home
itan wrote: I have bad experience with this company not supporting its product past the warranty period.
My $200+ Ring video doorbell pro failed after < 2years (button stuck in) the company refused to help and was told my only option is to buy another at full cost.
I wouldn't support a company with such a poor customer service.
Huh? what company offers option other than buying a replacement if the product has physical damage after warranty period?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3496 posts
847 upvotes
Home
Boomer23 wrote: Does the alarm panel need to be plugged in or does it run on battery?
Base station must be plugged in, but it has 'emergency' battery that can run up to 24 hours.
The keypad can run either plugged or on the rechargeable battery which runs for several months.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1328 posts
711 upvotes
Wiseman wrote: I bought the bigger kit for $359.99 but my echo dot shows as $0 on receipt.. Damn.
Similar, bought the $219 kit plus the $14.99 smart plug. dot showed $0 and plug only showed $14.99
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19542 posts
592 upvotes
Shanghai, China
wakka2u wrote: Similar, bought the $219 kit plus the $14.99 smart plug. dot showed $0 and plug only showed $14.99
What's the benefit of having the plug with the Ring system?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1328 posts
711 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: What's the benefit of having the plug with the Ring system?
the smart plug discount was part of the dot promo.

Jul 17, 2010
156 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
The Echo dot also shows 0 on my receipt. I bought it in store tho. Maybe online is different. I am planning to buy the Ring Pro on boxing Day to complete the system, but I don't need another Echo dot anymore.
Jan 13, 2008
171 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
AndrewL132800 wrote: Thanks op. I bought package online the echo dot shows as $44 on the receipt and was able to return it no problem. Making the ring alarm 175 +tax. My first attempt was to reserve the bundle for in store pickup but when I did that the echo dot showed up at 0.00 on the receipt.
Did you have to go into the store to return the dot? And can all this be done online before it gets delivered?
Dec 20, 2018
38 posts
6 upvotes
Seems like a lot of people are complaining about the performance of the doorbell in extreme cold weather. Is it that bad?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32206 posts
18054 upvotes
Ottawa
ThePriceIsWhatNow wrote: Seems like a lot of people are complaining about the performance of the doorbell in extreme cold weather. Is it that bad?
Mine survived Ottawa's winter last year, in which we had weeks at -20deg.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10036 posts
4608 upvotes
Bought. Was going to hold off for a bit and hope for cheaper but i coundt resist lol. Im hoping to buy a few cameras to ad to this hope there is a good sale boxing day
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
Buy first think later!
Dont tell wife!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4751 posts
4364 upvotes
ThePriceIsWhatNow wrote: Seems like a lot of people are complaining about the performance of the doorbell in extreme cold weather. Is it that bad?
If you rely on battery it is. On AC ('doorbell' power) it's fine.

Lion batteries don't like real winter temps.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)