• Nov 17th, 2017 4:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1389 upvotes
Richmond

[Best Buy] Ring Doorbell Satin Nickel $129.99

Best Buy has the original Ring Doorbell (antique brass only) on sale for $169.99xxxx (update: now $149.99), currently available online and in-store. It's not the first time it's been on sale this low or a few $ lower, but it's $60 off the normal current price of $229.

Update: the Satin Nickel trim version is now on sale for $129.99 at Best Buy. Also at Lowes (https://www.lowes.ca/doorbell-sets/ring ... 20904.html), same price now unfortunately so no more 10% price beat.
The Ring Doorbell 2 is also on sale for $199.
And now all trim styles for $129 at Bed, Bath and Beyond too: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/p ... 20doorbell

I have this Ring Doorbell model. It originally had some WiFi connection reliability issues, but it has been working fine ever since Ring sent me a free Ring Chime Pro with WiFi extender.

All versions of the Ring doorbell offer the same doorbell/camera/motion-detect/2-way voice functions. The differences are:

Original Ring (this one): 720p 1 Mbps video, 180 deg fisheye lens, battery or doorbell wire power, 2.4 GHz WiFi
Ring Pro: 1080p 2 Mbps video, wide-angle lens, doorbell wire power only (smaller housing but smaller and crappier speaker), 2.4/5 GHz WiFi, advanced motion detection zone setting
Ring 2: 1080p 2 Mbps video, wide-angle lens,, battery or doorbell wire power, interchangeable batteries, 2.4 GHz WiFi

Common issues:

- WiFi connection problems. These are located outside the outer wall of your house, often in a weak WiFi zone, and they are often plagued with a variety of cryptic issues all related to weak WiFi even though the diagnostic information looks just fine. However Ring can often be persuaded to send a free Ring Chime Pro with dedicated WiFi extender to solve your WiFi issues.

- Physical installation issues. Ring 1 and 2 are significantly bigger than an old doorbell button, and you probably want to connect it to the existing doorbell wires in the exiting location. Mounting surface may be brick/stucco/stone.

- Motion detection settings. The Ring 1 and 2 are especially prone to picking up passing traffic on the street if you point them toward the street, while the Ring Pro's advanced motion zone setting can help minimize that (but not prevent it entirely). Mine is mounted sideways next to the door, taking advantage of the wide field of view of the fisheye lens to see all the way out the street without motion detection being triggered by passing traffic.

Also be aware that you have to add a US$30 per year subscription to Ring's cloud recording service to get the full functionality.

The doorbell is dependent on Ring's internet servers to operate, which is a vulnerability. On Halloween everybody's Ring doorbell stopped working because their servers failed under the load.
Last edited by Faith24 on Oct 21st, 2017 11:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
121 replies
Oct 20, 2017
1 posts
Hey, could you provide more details on what you asked Ring for to get the Chime Pro?

I am interested, but the wifi problems could be a deal breaker.

Thanks !
Aug 26, 2010
7 posts
Ottawa
This one is driving me crazy. The Satin Nickel colour (default) one is on sale now for $129.99 at Best Buy Canada but the Antique Brass is $40 more despite the fact that both have the same full retail price. To add insult to injury, the U.S. Best Buy is selling this model in two colours for $99 USD. The second colour (Venetian Bronze) I would be good with too. All our door/porch colours are muted dark colours. Satin Nickel is a no go for us.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1576 posts
146 upvotes
Edmonton
nekoian wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:22 am
This one is driving me crazy. The Satin Nickel colour (default) one is on sale now for $129.99 at Best Buy Canada but the Antique Brass is $40 more despite the fact that both have the same full retail price. To add insult to injury, the U.S. Best Buy is selling this model in two colours for $99 USD. The second colour (Venetian Bronze) I would be good with too. All our door/porch colours are muted dark colours. Satin Nickel is a no go for us.
First world problems
Sep 21, 2011
184 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
do the pro and ring 2 justify the increase in price? or is ring 1 good enough
May 20, 2008
68 posts
12 upvotes
I never understood the appeal of Ring vs just getting a security cam for the front door. What am I missing here?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1389 upvotes
Richmond
lilpoorpk wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:18 am
the satin nickel one is only 130....is there any difference?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ri ... ls_rccmmnd
Fantastic price, lowest I've seen. Buy!

But be sure to budget an extra US$30/year for a cloud recording subscription if you want all the functionality.

There's no functional difference between the different trim colours.

I've had mine for about 6 months. It worked erratically at first, even though the WiFi connection was always reported as Good. Ring sent me a free Ring Chime Pro with dedicated WiFi extender, and things have been stable and working well since I installed it.

But everything at Ring fell over on Halloween night as soon as the national doorbell-ringing load started to spike, leaving them with angry customers and egg all over their faces. They still haven't really acknowledged that they screwed up big time or apologized to customers, they've just tried to sweep it under the rug.
Last edited by Faith24 on Nov 9th, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 26, 2013
443 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
did a price match with LOWES and got it for $132.20 including tax, hope it is good
Aug 18, 2009
624 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
SteveWhip wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:10 am
I never understood the appeal of Ring vs just getting a security cam for the front door. What am I missing here?
Can you have a conversation with a person at your door via that security cam?

Edit: I'll clarify this but saying that I know some security cams have 2-way audio. My point was "at your door" meaning someone rings your doorbell and is waiting for you to open it. In this case, the ring doorbell wins hands down over a security cam. If you're not home, with a security cam you have no direct way of knowing someone is "at your door" or walking by or just dropping off a package or if you're just getting a false motion alert. The Ring doorbell gives you a clear notification that someone is ringing it and you can quickly take the appropriate action by speaking to them.
Last edited by VertigoM on Nov 9th, 2017 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1568 posts
108 upvotes
Anyone know how cloud recording works? Any suggested hosting platforms? Would owncloud work?
May 20, 2008
68 posts
12 upvotes
VertigoM wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:43 am
Can you have a conversation with a person at your door via that security cam?
Ah so this is the killer feature, that makes sense. Thanks
May 15, 2010
111 posts
56 upvotes
Ajax
I bought this model last year for the same price, had issues as first until i got the chime pro free from them
May 15, 2010
111 posts
56 upvotes
Ajax
SteveWhip wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:10 am

This device is powered by the existing doorbell wires. Easy installation compared to running wires to the front of your house for security camera, or battery powered security cameras if your into that