Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

RING Smart doorbell with Alexa combo $219.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2018 3:29 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1349 posts
701 upvotes
Surrey
Exp315 wrote: Unfortunately not possible. I investigated every lead extensively when I got my Ring doorbell, and the only thing that's even close is using Tasker on an always-on Android platform to automatically launch a Live View window when notification from the doorbell is received and record that Live View video to a local file. Useless, because instead of having a lead time of a few seconds, the start of the recording would lag the event by 15 seconds or more.

I'm not a big fan of the subscription model in this case, since it's unnecessary money gouging rather than a necessary design feature. But Ring considers it to be the most important part of their revenue, far more important than the small profit they make on selling hardware. It's why Amazon bought them.

It's just too bad that Amazon hasn't done anything to integrate Ring and Alexa in almost a year. For example why wouldn't they have a skill to let Alexa announce doorbell rings? Google has done far more with Nest.

Also note that this package has the Echo Dot Gen2, which Amazon made obsolete yesterday with the Gen3.
Tasker is THE BEST. Maybe the video lagged due to not so powerful Android device but good strategy. If you can use windows or something it might be better due to more powerful system. But personally I'd find a different solution since this may start becoming too expensive.
Uberclk wrote: i wanted something like this since my last online purchase delivered by Canada Post went missing.. was considering the SkyBell HD made by Honeywell which does not required a subscription and can save video for several days i believe. however product is geared towards US market and not sure how well it works in Canada..
What will stop it from working well in Canada. You said no subscription. Cross the border and get it. Or get it delivered but it'll be very ironic if that went missing too.
vkizzle wrote: Looks like you want your cake and eat it too?
USD $30/year is well worth it.
Exactly. I would't have it any other way. This is RFD remember. If I want to do regular shopping I'll look at flyers.
0 tolerance for BS.
If I downvote, chances are it's less about the deal, and more about OP's inability to take criticism and constantly favoring their deal due to their ego.
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Oct 15, 2017
630 posts
436 upvotes
Canada
Around $40 CDN for the year is easy to live with. If it starts to head north of $100 per year, for the subscription, I might have to look at an alternative solution.
Last edited by dsweetlou on Sep 21st, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1349 posts
701 upvotes
Surrey
Edit ... If I want to do regular shopping and keep making massively manipulative excess profit making corporation even more richer, I'll look at flyers.
0 tolerance for BS.
If I downvote, chances are it's less about the deal, and more about OP's inability to take criticism and constantly favoring their deal due to their ego.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
grayhal wrote:
Exactly. I would't have it any other way. This is RFD remember. If I want to do regular shopping I'll look at flyers.
USD $30.00 is a "HOT Deal", compared to USD $100 with Nest.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1349 posts
701 upvotes
Surrey
vkizzle wrote: USD $30.00 is a "HOT Deal", compared to USD $100 with Nest.
Don't talk to me
0 tolerance for BS.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
2 months away from Black Friday. I'd wait if you're not in a hurry grab one. Imma hold off for the Pro version as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
grayhal wrote: Don't talk to me
You mean don't respond to you?
Jan 4, 2007
355 posts
152 upvotes
OilersDude wrote: Anything like this that does not require a subscription?
Thx
Skybell hd. Just dont order it in canada you'll get alarmforces crap. Need to buy it in the states and bring it back usd$139 on black Friday
Sep 19, 2012
626 posts
353 upvotes
Kitchener
This is an even worse deal now that Amazon announced the 3rd gen Echos.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2368 posts
937 upvotes
Ottawa
wszeto28 wrote: Didnt best buy have the ring pro and amazon echo spot for $199 a few weeks ago?
I managed to get one, but the odds of that happening again are low. It was a price error
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
vkizzle wrote: Looks like you want your cake and eat it too?
USD $30/year is well worth it.
what are you talking about? the Skybell HD has very positive reviews and very comparable to the Ring.

my situation was tracking showed it being delivered on a Sunday afternoon by Canada Post.. have you ever had any delivered by Canada Post on a Sunday besides Christmas rush? i don't think any subscription based or not would have aided in my situation. i have added a camera pointing to the driveway since.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
grayhal wrote: What will stop it from working well in Canada. You said no subscription. Cross the border and get it. Or get it delivered but it'll be very ironic if that went missing too.
it will work in Canada. read someone having lag issues being in Canada, not sure if thats's one off user or what. mostly reviews are from US.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Uberclk wrote: what are you talking about? the Skybell HD has very positive reviews and very comparable to the Ring.

my situation was tracking showed it being delivered on a Sunday afternoon by Canada Post.. have you ever had any delivered by Canada Post on a Sunday besides Christmas rush? i don't think any subscription based or not would have aided in my situation. i have added a camera pointing to the driveway since.
Ring has motion detection and will record the activity.
Without a subscription, it will not record and you will only see a "disturbance" notification.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
vkizzle wrote: Ring has motion detection and will record the activity.
Without a subscription, it will not record and you will only see a "disturbance" notification.
yes i know that. my current camera pointing outside does the same also. with a doorbell i can get a little better angle and maybe a bit less glare in my situation. my ideal setup would be local storage as my NAS supports it, so that's why i prefer without a subscription because it would not be my main source to rely on.

and as for my package that went missing, i think it's more a Canada Post issue then someone taking it from my driveway (which is fairly long), but until it happens to you, you just don't know and start thinking about all the ways to prevent it again..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)