Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Samsung 65" 4K HDR QLED "THE FRAME TV" (2021 Version) $2,297 ($400 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2021 10:17 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4511 posts
348 upvotes

[Best Buy] Samsung 65" 4K HDR QLED "THE FRAME TV" (2021 Version) $2,297 ($400 off)

So few things to mention:

This is the new Frame TV that is slimmer than previous Gens. This is the new 2021 version.

This Tv gets a bit of hate online because everyone says that its overpriced for the type of panel used in the TV. Yes there are TVs available with better panels that offer better picture quality etc... but they are not frame TVs.

But you aren't buying this TV for the immaculate color accuracy (which is very good by the way), you are buying this TV because it looks like a picture frame/painting.

you are paying for the design, the art mode, no gap fit, customizable slim bezels, the one connect box etc...

This still has very good picture quality, check out the reviews on youtube.

I just picked one up at BB, wont be able to install it for about 3-4 days.
Thread Summary
Not the specs you want? Take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best 4K HDR smart TVs!
26 replies
Feb 1, 2017
396 posts
585 upvotes
This thing has worse HDR levels then an OLED, but without the amazing contrast...according to RTINGS. under 600 peak brightness is not acceptable. And OLEDS have some of the worst hdr brightness levels. I do get the appeal of this, but bad HDR kills any interest in a TV for me.

So do not get this if your a 4kBlueray watcher, cuz that is really mediocre.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4511 posts
348 upvotes
ryokoseigo wrote: This thing has worse HDR levels then an OLED, but without the amazing contrast...according to RTINGS. under 600 peak brightness is not acceptable. And OLEDS have some of the worst hdr brightness levels. I do get the appeal of this, but bad HDR kills any interest in a TV for me.

So do not get this if your a 4kBlueray watcher, cuz that is really mediocre.
I checked this out at the store and it was very comparable to other TVs that were more expensive and they were considered to be better. Like I said, this tv is meant to be bought for its main gimmicky feature, but the colors are still very good. I would advise people to check it out at the store if you can. Rtings or any other reviews are good but nothing beats an actual viewing.

little story:
I've known about this tv since it came out years ago and always wanted to get one but I knew that it was overpriced by about $500-600 compared to same panel in a non-frame TV. Anyways, I went to friend's parents' house and they had this tv mounted on the wall. They had a 55" version with the white beveled frame around it and it was displaying some art and it was dimly lit matching the ambience of the room. And they had their family pictures and other paintings around this TV. So it blended in with other framed pictures on the wall.

It was camouflaged so well, that I didn't notice it was a tv. I never took this old couple to posses this kind of TV as they aren't that tech savy. And I wasn't looking for a TV either so it being there the entire time without me noticing was really impressive. I only noticed when they pointed it out to me. They said they loved it and other guests had similar reactions to it.

So I checked recently and saw that this was $400 off, this seemed like a really good deal for the type of TV I was looking for.

I have a home theater room with a good TV that has great colors and is great for watching movies, but this is also a good TV for general viewing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4511 posts
348 upvotes
dogger99 wrote: showing 2699.99 for me
O snap. Sorry guys looks like the sale ended last night.
Mar 15, 2019
934 posts
1059 upvotes
are you gonna hang in on the wall just like what we do with cheaper TVs? or a motorized mount that moves around your mansion controlled by voice commands?
Last edited by GammaRayFort on Jun 14th, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 4GB UNLIMITED voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4511 posts
348 upvotes
GammaRayFort wrote: are you gonna hang in on the wall just like what we do with cheaper TVs? or a motorized mount that moves around your mansion controller by voice commands?
not sure what you're saying here. What motorized mount? This TV hangs on the wall with the included wall mount. Or you can buy a tripod stand for it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5524 posts
1494 upvotes
Toronto
xpoint9 wrote: not sure what you're saying here. What motorized mount? This TV hangs on the wall with the included wall mount. Or you can buy a tripod stand for it.
Comes with the wall mount? But no frame, right? You need to buy that?
Dec 5, 2011
15 posts
14 upvotes
North york
xpoint9 wrote: not sure what you're saying here. What motorized mount? This TV hangs on the wall with the included wall mount. Or you can buy a tripod stand for it.
I think he's just trying to be a smart ass. He's probably just bitter that it was out of his price range.

Appreciate you detailing the anecdote of your experience. I also didn't think much of it until I saw it and really, the appeal of this TV is to blend it seamlessly with the ambience of the room as a display (whether it be art of photos). I was also very impressed at how naturally the display camouflaged into the room without screaming "hey look at me, I'm a very bright TV!"

There definitely is a specific intended use for it, and knocking on it solely for its HDR or brightness lacking behind top tier tvs would be to criticize a fillet knife for not being great at cleaving bone.
Mar 15, 2019
934 posts
1059 upvotes
you bought this because it's thin and looks like a frame. if it's wall mounted, you have to take your guest to walk to the side every time to show off? thats a long way to get your money back.

if i were you, i'd install a motorized ceiling mount and railing. I just have to say " come and turn around", the TV will move closer and turn 90degrees, "see how pretty my tv is".
not a joke.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4511 posts
348 upvotes
GammaRayFort wrote: you bought this because it's thin and looks like a frame. if it's wall mounted, you have to take your guest to walk to the side every time to show off? thats a long way to get your money back.

if i were you, i'd install a motorized ceiling mount and railing. I just have to say " come and turn around", the TV will move closer and turn 90degrees, "see how pretty my tv is".
not a joke.
yea clearly this tv isn't meant for someone like you. There are many other people like you who quickly post a link to another tv that is bigger and cheaper. Every thread about the frame Tv is filled with people like you commenting on how this TV is a waste of money.

This TV should be treated like a home décor item instead of a traditional TV. I've mentioned these things in the first post and few times after.

And if someone is buying a TV with top tier colors, HDR and best picture quality; then they better have total control over the ambient lighting and any external light source. Whereas I think this TV is suited for family rooms or livings rooms where the room has daylight or any uncontrolled ambient lighting. And if that's the case then IMO colors, and calibrations wont make much of a difference.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4511 posts
348 upvotes
SuckaB wrote: same. dont see sale price...
Yea It looks like the sale expired on June 13 11:59pm.

Does Bestbuy or amazon still honor the sale price even after a day or two? Like if you talk to a sales rep and ask them to honor the sale price. worth a shot maybe.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
4005 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
xpoint9 wrote: Yea It looks like the sale expired on June 13 11:59pm.

Does Bestbuy or amazon still honor the sale price even after a day or two? Like if you talk to a sales rep and ask them to honor the sale price. worth a shot maybe.
it's ok ill wait for next big sale, been waiting to buy this specific model (maybe smaller size) since the 2020 version came out.
2021 is alot thinner so that's ideal for me.

EDIT: Is geeksquad a good service to use for the wallmounting? I know the drywall needs to be cut and hidden behind the TV for a clean look as well as fishing the cord down near the power plug (where another hole needs to be cut)
Last edited by SuckaB on Jun 14th, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 8, 2010
28 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
GammaRayFort wrote: you bought this because it's thin and looks like a frame. if it's wall mounted, you have to take your guest to walk to the side every time to show off? thats a long way to get your money back.

not a joke.
I think the point is more that people find a regular TV ugly when not it use. Getting this to blend in with your house is cheaper than getting some kind of motorized mechanism to retract the TV into your wall to hide it.
Mar 15, 2019
934 posts
1059 upvotes
Prod1gy wrote: I think the point is more that people find a regular TV ugly when not it use. Getting this to blend in with your house is cheaper than getting some kind of motorized mechanism to retract the TV into your wall to hide it.
yeah it doesnt look good sitting on a stand, but didnt some people start to put the TV into the wall?

-------------------
GO zoomers ~
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
2412 posts
2000 upvotes
BC
SuckaB wrote:
EDIT: Is geeksquad a good service to use for the wallmounting? I know the drywall needs to be cut and hidden behind the TV for a clean look as well as fishing the cord down near the power plug (where another hole needs to be cut)
If you were to buy this.. I would get professional installed and not BB Geek squad laughable service...