Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Samsung 85" 4K UHD HDR LED Smart TV (UN85TU8000FXZC) - $2,069

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2020 10:39 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 17, 2009
1863 posts
1046 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I think some users have missed the point here. The average Joe has seen variants of an “8000” model advertised over the past 5 years and associated this model with quality. Samsung has literally downgraded this years variant to the point that every high end feature has been removed. What does TU even stand for? TURD?

Here’s the coles notes.

JS8000 (2015), 3D, 10bit, 120hz, Very Bright HDR, 4 HDMI inputs.

KS8000 (2016), 3D Removed.

MU8000 (2017), HDR Brightness Reduced, Colour Gamut reduced, Image degrades at an angle.

NU8000 (2018), HDR Brightness reduced, Colours wash out at an angle. Pros: FreeSync added.

RU8000 (2019), Poor viewing angles, Sub-Par HDR brightness.

TU8000 (2020), 8bit, 60hz, Poor viewing angles, Abysmal HDR brightness, Reduced SDR brightness, Colour banding, FreeSync removed, HDMI inputs reduced to 3. Pros: low input lag.
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 23, 2009
806 posts
358 upvotes
Vancouver
Beforescott wrote: Great price for the size OP. If you aren’t looking side by side at a better screen you will probably be quite happy with this. The price vs size vs brand name - this is solid. Don’t get scared away by the anti Samsung bias online. Even the much hated q60t looks pretty good in person. Not everyone wants a TCL or hisense “best bang for your buck IF you win the panel lottery” TV.
The TCL 6 series QLED completely crushes the Samsung TU8000 in hardware. FALD, 120hz refresh rate, double the brightness, dolby vision, higher colour gamut, native 10 bit panel, more HDMI inputs. The only reason someone would want to choose the samsung over the TCL is pure ignorance/purely based on brand name, wants airplay 2, bluetooth, and slightly thinner bezels. Every year Samsung's low to mid model TV's get nerfed or renamed to seem like a higher model. Any model thats a Q7/70 and below get the short end of the stick, but thats not to say even models like the Q80/90 are safe (they are no longer native 10 bit panels). Samsung's RU8000 models used to be 120hz refresh rate, with even older models (MU8000) having the external connect box before, now 8000 models are 60hz. Their TU7000 models are just rebadged/reskinned NU69000 while their TU8000 are just rebadged/reskinned RU7100 models. Actually I sometimes wish they were a carbon copy of previous years, because of you look up the raw specs, their colour gamut and brightness are usually worse than the previous models albeit, by only a few % off, but why am I buying something that is statistically worse than the previous model? Don't even get me started on the whole "QLED" name. From a marketing stand point, its pure genius, but from a general consumer stand point its misleading (vs OLED) unless you're a electronic enthusiast.
Last edited by ProtossCraft on Oct 12th, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 23, 2009
806 posts
358 upvotes
Vancouver
rob187 wrote: I think some users have missed the point here. The average Joe has seen variants of an “8000” model advertised over the past 5 years and associated this model with quality. Samsung has literally downgraded this years variant to the point that every high end feature has been removed. What does TU even stand for? TURD?

Here’s the coles notes.

JS8000 (2015), 3D, 10bit, 120hz, Very Bright HDR, 4 HDMI inputs.

KS8000 (2016), 3D Removed.

MU8000 (2017), HDR Brightness Reduced, Colour Gamut reduced, Image degrades at an angle.

NU8000 (2018), HDR Brightness reduced, Colours wash out at an angle. Pros: FreeSync added.

RU8000 (2019), Poor viewing angles, Sub-Par HDR brightness.

TU8000 (2020), 8bit, 60hz, Poor viewing angles, Abysmal HDR brightness, Reduced SDR brightness, Colour banding, FreeSync removed, HDMI inputs reduced to 3. Pros: low input lag.
Don't forget about them removing the external connect box from the NU8000 from the MU8000.
Member
Jan 2, 2009
207 posts
17 upvotes
Pembroke
Ok it look ike I aiming for the TCL 75 unless any bigger size about same price range will be on next month during black Friday. ..by the way does Costco sell the 75 series 6 ?
Member
Mar 26, 2008
241 posts
66 upvotes
I was considering the Samsung Q80 75-inch as an alternative to the LG based on the rtings.com reviews. Are you guys saying to look at something else?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4422 posts
2510 upvotes
karsongp wrote: I was considering the Samsung Q80 75-inch as an alternative to the LG based on the rtings.com reviews. Are you guys saying to look at something else?
What's your budget?

Q80 is beautiful however......TCL higher end line and Hisense Q9G is half the price at really similar specs. What drives me nuts about Samsung is their OS is horrid (although improved over the many years...) and the OS has...freaking ads. At least Hisense lets you opt out and also opt out of features that involve sharing data etc. Samsung's TV is a data gathering machine.

Who knows if Hisense is secretly sending out data too, but at least they try to give you the option while Samsung blatantly just takes and throw ads at you.

I just got my Hisense Q8G and for movies it blows my RU8000 away and definitely on par with Q60/Q70. In hindsight, if I waited another year I would have bought the Q9G if it came in 85".
Member
Mar 26, 2008
241 posts
66 upvotes
bhrm wrote: What's your budget?
I don't really have a budget; I haven't bought a TV in 20+ years so I'm OK to spend a decent amount. That said, we generally only watch news and sports so I'm worried about OLED burn-in hence why I thought the Q80 was the next best bet based on rtings.com.

I don't care about brand really. Would be nice to get something that is of decent quality and will last a bit. I'm OK with going TCL or Hisense if the spec is nearly the same as the Q80 and half the price, considering the amount of TV I watch.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4422 posts
2510 upvotes
karsongp wrote: I don't really have a budget; I haven't bought a TV in 20+ years so I'm OK to spend a decent amount. That said, we generally only watch news and sports so I'm worried about OLED burn-in hence why I thought the Q80 was the next best bet based on rtings.com.

I don't care about brand really. Would be nice to get something that is of decent quality and will last a bit. I'm OK with going TCL or Hisense if the spec is nearly the same as the Q80 and half the price, considering the amount of TV I watch.
I would look at the Sony's 950 series too. Google's Android TV is better than Samsung's Tizen, but honestly speaking all Smart TV OS are not that great...makes you wonder if they hired first year co-op students to code it...

The Hisense Q8G or Q9G are just really great for the money, but if you want comfort of a brand name look at Sony's.
Jr. Member
User avatar
May 7, 2004
175 posts
86 upvotes
Scarborough
bhrm wrote: I would look at the Sony's 950 series too. Google's Android TV is better than Samsung's Tizen, but honestly speaking all Smart TV OS are not that great...makes you wonder if they hired first year co-op students to code it...

The Hisense Q8G or Q9G are just really great for the money, but if you want comfort of a brand name look at Sony's.
What should be the budget for an 85 inch sony???
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16158 posts
17643 upvotes
The TU8000 is a upper-low-end-midtier.

At 85" this is a somewhat okay deal, arguably better than a Q60T depending on use-case.

The ambivalence is accurately reflected in the vote count.
Member
Mar 26, 2008
241 posts
66 upvotes
bhrm wrote: The Hisense Q8G or Q9G are just really great for the money, but if you want comfort of a brand name look at Sony's.
Are the Q8G and Q9G the same thing? The Q9G doesn't come in a 75" model?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16158 posts
17643 upvotes
karsongp wrote: Are the Q8G and Q9G the same thing? The Q9G doesn't come in a 75" model?
The Q8G is very good, the Q9G is three levels above that, just below OLED, and right around a Samsung Q80T in terms of performance.

I created a thread on two of these Hisense models being sold by Costco.ca right now.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jun 2, 2017
188 posts
58 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
It’s a good price for a humongous size with average quality.

Since OP haven’t been spoiled by OLED just yet, I guess he’ll be very happy with 85” worth of screen, especially if he sits about 10 feet.
IT guy | dad | sneakerhead | everything Apple | AV enthusiast | new homeowner
Member
Mar 26, 2008
241 posts
66 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: The Q8G is very good, the Q9G is three levels above that, just below OLED, and right around a Samsung Q80T in terms of performance.

I created a thread on two of these Hisense models being sold by Costco.ca right now.
Dammit. I want a 75-inch unit that is three levels above!

Top