• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2021 8:06 am
[OP]
Oct 26, 2008
369 posts
304 upvotes

[Best Buy] Samsung G5 Odyssey - QHD (2k) 27” - monitor - open box

Edit: now showing sold out online

Was searching for a curved 27” monitor for work and my series X. I almost pulled the trigger on a really nice AOC on Amazon for $359. Waited until Friday AM to check the G5. Best Buy had the brand new on sale for $399.99 from $450
Then i saw this open box for $279.99. Seemed like a great price. Is a geek squad refurb with full warranty. Should arrive at my house Monday. Free shipping.

I also looked used market, I had to have a curved 27” under $450 so this looked like a steal.

Here is a really thorough review:

Still available as of posting. Please share thoughts and comments. Only once had i bought a geek squad refurb item and it was perfect, hoping for the same here.
Last edited by organic_panic on May 17th, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LIVING IS EASY WITH EYES CLOSED
27 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3373 posts
3931 upvotes
Becareful.. The g5 is returned for a reason.. I believe some experienced some panel problems with them. Geek squad probably doesn't care about burn pixels from returns as well. Price is good if you want to gamble or have the time to go through potential hassle.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2008
369 posts
304 upvotes
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look it over good when it arrives. Back it will go if not up to snuff.
Nov 27, 2015
66 posts
149 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Why would I risk my time getting open box monitor that might have dead pixels, burn in and etc that was never checked/cared by Best Buy Geeksquad?
[OP]
Oct 26, 2008
369 posts
304 upvotes
Ecalr91 wrote: Why would I risk my time getting open box monitor that might have dead pixels, burn in and etc that was never checked/cared by Best Buy Geeksquad?
I actually find best buy really easy to deal with on returns. I read lots of stories on problems with new monitors and Canada Computers is tough on monitor returns. For me saving $120 on a monitor plus taxes is worth the gamble. I cant find one used on kijiji for less.
Jun 10, 2011
640 posts
610 upvotes
If it wasn't for the stand I would have bite but no height adjustment no thank you.
Nov 9, 2010
784 posts
994 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Thanks OP, was looking for a monitor upgrade for the wife, this should do nicely. Sounds like most of the negative reviews are for defective products, so if that's the case I'll just return it.
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: djwalsh3000
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3594 posts
1027 upvotes
GTA
Best Buy open box is hit or miss. They are, however, good on returns. No hassle.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1122 posts
2456 upvotes
Once again:
Open box = Okay (Usually box that are damaged)
Open box Geek squad certified = Bad (Stupid employee who doesn't give a shit about anything)
Last edited by Admin on Jul 32th, 2027 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 9, 2019
439 posts
1835 upvotes
InvaIid wrote: Once again:
Open box Geek squad certified = Bad (Stupid employee who doesn't give a shit about anything)
Load of BS. I used to work at BestBuy, Open box is always Geek Squad certified as associates on floor were not bothered with such things. Geek Squad agents make sure returns have necessary power cords etc and product is fully functional.

99% of the times these are returns and in mint condition as computer stuff generally has only 14 day return window.

For customer return period and warranty is still same as new factory sealed product, so buy with peace of mind.

You are calling a minimum wage retail employee stupid, you have no empathy whatsoever, that person is paid minimum so any effort above minimum is already a bonus.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1122 posts
2456 upvotes
Hahahapxl wrote: that person is paid minimum so any effort above minimum is already a bonus.
And that's why they will likely always be minimum wage workers, to be honest. I started as a minimum wage worker. I was stupid. I worked my way up by doing way more than the minimum, and so can they.
And I am not full of BS. Many here agree that geek squad certified = bullshit.
In fact, I will go further on to say that geek squad = bullshit scam.
Nov 17, 2019
723 posts
1900 upvotes
If you get a good panel this is a really hot deal. I would personally would risk it. I guess just double check the return policy with covid curbside pickups.
Sep 4, 2014
84 posts
175 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I just pulled the trigger in the LG ultragear 34in for 909.99.
If it’s a dud, I’ll return it. If not, i just got myself a great deal.
Dec 3, 2017
139 posts
95 upvotes
I always buy open box stuff from best buy and they're always in perfect condition. I highly recommend buying open box items from best buy, you save so much money.
Feb 8, 2020
231 posts
493 upvotes
InvaIid wrote: And that's why they will likely always be minimum wage workers, to be honest. I started as a minimum wage worker. I was stupid. I worked my way up by doing way more than the minimum, and so can they.
It's a little unnecessary to stereotype when you have a clear bias.

I know plenty of minimum wage employees that gave minimum effort that I worked with years ago and many of them have moved on to regular careers. Even myself, I didn't care at my minimum wage job, but it served its purpose for me and gave me pocket change while I finished my degree and when the time came I left and began my career.

What's the point in needlessly hating on a group of people that this pandemic has shown are absolutely vital to allowing society to function?

Now, on topic, this is a great deal. It's a really solid 1440p 144hz monitor, give the OB a try and if you're not happy just return it. Ordering any previously used product comes with the potential for getting a crap unit, that's the whole reason return policies exist. Best Buy's return policy is pretty easy too. If you get a good unit, then pat yourself on the back because $280 for a solid quality 1440p 144hz monitor is a really great price.
Hello World!
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
2174 posts
1646 upvotes
condo
InvaIid wrote: Once again:
InvaIid wrote: And that's why they will likely always be minimum wage workers, to be honest. I started as a minimum wage worker. I was stupid. I worked my way up by doing way more than the minimum, and so can they.
You're so cool bro Smiling Face With Sunglasses, that e-swagger is just exploding from your posts. How can I be more like you, bro? Pls share your tips on being so awesome /s
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1129 posts
761 upvotes
Nanaimo
I bought a Sony tv that was Greek squad certified. It reeked of cigarette smoke and had dead pixels. Thankfully I got it replaced through Sony and got a new one. Their open boxes are still fully covered. That being said I’m sure that there’s no one checking the product that carefully.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1122 posts
2456 upvotes
tmonies wrote: You're so cool bro Smiling Face With Sunglasses, that e-swagger is just exploding from your posts. How can I be more like you, bro? Pls share your tips on being so awesome /s
You can't, I am unique. My knowledge is endless and can't be matched.
23LeBronJames wrote: What's the point in needlessly hating on a group of people that this pandemic has shown are absolutely vital to allowing society to function?
Yeah no, geek squad and other scammers are not vital for anything in our world.
S0lidus wrote: I bought a Sony tv that was Greek squad certified. It reeked of cigarette smoke and had dead pixels. Thankfully I got it replaced through Sony and got a new one. Their open boxes are still fully covered. That being said I’m sure that there’s no one checking the product that carefully.
I'm sorry you felt in their trap :'( Thankfully you still had an happy ending!
Penalty Box
Nov 15, 2020
1244 posts
2407 upvotes
InvaIid wrote: You can't, I am unique. My knowledge is endless and can't be matched.

Yeah no, geek squad and other scammers are not vital for anything in our world.

I'm sorry you felt in their trap :'( Thankfully you still had an happy ending!
I don't see the problem to buying geek squad....Heck the Sony guy got a messed up tv but in the end he ended up with a brand new tv from Sony while still paying less, I mean sure some hassle but this is RFD anyway. I don't see the issue to geek squad open box stuff cause well you can either return it or even better just warranty if it works out for you and sometimes you end up getting a better deal since warranty sometimes just gives you a new product. Hit or miss yes and some hassle but if it means to save quite a bit with minimal risk why not?? You must have some beef with geek squad.
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3373 posts
3931 upvotes
Geek squad majority of the time will assess customer return for no cosmetic damage, electronic powers on, and all accessories included. Return of customer could be dead pixel, problem with compatibility with something, or just flat out don't like it. Definitely some open box can be like new, or perfect working conditions. I wouldn't necessary brush off geek squad verified products as all garbage. It's an open box, just like buying refurbished it can be a hit and miss.

Also to add, to be fair, warranty usually doesn't officially cover 1 dead pixel. If you look at all warranty terms for majority of led panels they need either 1 or 2 bright pixels or multiple dead pixels to qualify.

So in general any open box, could potentially be a return from customer due to 1 or 2 dead pixel which may fall out of manufacture warranty terms. So a dead pixel or two is not considered a problem to bestbuy geek squad.

But of course if best buy would take it back without hassle, definitely a great price for what it's worth. It fits certain budgets, but in my opinion for those looking for more premium line monitors, the G5 falls in the budget range of the oddysey line from Samsung. Work with your budget range. Not everyone can afford or want to spend on expensive monitors. I spent around 450 for my Dell 3220dgf, while a good price and great performance to value monitor, I personally never previously spent this much on a monitor before. Around 500 bucks including tax. There are people that spend over 1k for the 34+ ultrawide monitors on RFD.. So definitely people have different budgets and best to work with what you had in mind for a monitor.