Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Schwinn IC4 Spin Bike - Back in Stock! $999.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2021 5:45 pm
Nov 28, 2015
27 posts
27 upvotes
North York, ON
I got my Peloton today. Happy I don’t have to deal with the potential pedal/ seat issues and the tech hacks to track stats. Under 3 weeks for delivery when original date was 7 weeks. My buddy had 9 weeks and also got it today. DM me if you are about to order and want the shipping hack.
[OP]
Apr 27, 2008
69 posts
77 upvotes
Anyone else's delivery date getting pushed out by one day for a few days? My original delivery date was 11/24, then yesterday night was updated to today (11/25), and now when I check it, it is tomorrow (11/26).
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2004
2322 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa
smiddy16 wrote: Thanks for the update this is really helpful. Did you need to use another app to cast your heart rate to both the peloton and kinetic app? Also, do you think you could post a picture showing how you set up your iPad and iPhone with the holder? Thanks!
Sorry for the late response!

So, I made some assumptions that turned out to be wrong. For example, the HR band can't broadcast to two devices at the same time. The cadence from the bike does (i.e the Peloton App on iPad picks it up as well as Kinetic on my phone). However, I've now landed on the simplest setup in my case, using just my iPad and Apple Watch (I've found the HR band that came with the IC4 to be a bit glitchy ):
  • Peloton app running on the iPad
  • Kinetic app running on the iPad (Split view works well, doesn't block the instructor, just the side panel showing the other riders)
  • Using Heartcast (an Apple Watch app), HR is broadcast to Kinetic
  • IC4 Bike cadence is broadcast to Kinetic
  • Kinetic is connected to Strava
So I basically record the ride with Kinetic, and upload to Strava with my other activities. I get all the data (cadence, HR, power, speed, etc) on the screen with split view on the iPad. If all you have is the HR band to record heart rate, then you can just connect the HR band to the bike (turn on band, push the bluetooth button on the bike computer), then add bike sensor to Kinetic (it'll show cadence and HR with one connection).

EDIT: one hiccup when using Kinetic to record your workouts... if you're doing off-bike stuff (e.g. Bike Bootcamps), it stops recording calories when there's 0 cadence. I don't think there's a comparable app out there so might just switch it up in those cases (record a workout on apple watch, send cadence to the peloton app to follow the instructor's call outs).
Last edited by barrist on Nov 27th, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 28, 2010
618 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
barrist wrote: Sorry for the late response!

So, I made some assumptions that turned out to be wrong. For example, the HR band can't broadcast to two devices at the same time. The cadence from the bike does (i.e the Peloton App on iPad picks it up as well as Kinetic on my phone). However, I've now landed on the simplest setup in my case, using just my iPad and Apple Watch (I've found the HR band that came with the IC4 to be a bit glitchy ):
  • Kinetic app running on the iPad (Split view works well, doesn't block the instructor, just the side panel showing the other riders)
So I basically record the ride with Kinetic, and upload to Strava with my other activities. I get all the data (cadence, HR, power, speed, etc) on the screen with split view on the iPad. If all you have is the HR band to record heart rate, then you can just connect the HR band to the bike (turn on band, push the bluetooth button on the bike computer), then add bike sensor to Kinetic (it'll show cadence and HR with one connection).
I am using the band that came along to record heart rate and the bike connects to iPad for cadence on the Peloton app on my iPad. Didn't try to pair my Galaxy watch

It may not be accurate but its something.
Just struggling to match resistance of Peloton with IC4 or maybe I'm not pushing myself enough

Anybody got a simple conversion chart that I can print off
Mar 21, 2016
162 posts
124 upvotes
injuredcold wrote: I am using the band that came along to record heart rate and the bike connects to iPad for cadence on the Peloton app on my iPad. Didn't try to pair my Galaxy watch

Just struggling to match resistance of Peloton with IC4 or maybe I'm not pushing myself enough

If you google schwinn ic4 peloton resistance conversion there are photos of plates that people sell on Etsy. I’ve been using one of those pictures during my workouts. I’d eventually like to get someone local to 3D print me off something similar to keep on my bike instead of a paper
Mar 21, 2016
162 posts
124 upvotes

Thank you! That is really helpful. Im so glad the Schwinn came with a HR monitor.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2004
2322 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa
injuredcold wrote: I am using the band that came along to record heart rate and the bike connects to iPad for cadence on the Peloton app on my iPad. Didn't try to pair my Galaxy watch

The IC4 HR band is probably fine but I have tattoos which I think can mess with HR monitors!

The IC4 and Peloton resistance levels are definitely not 1:1. There are charts floating around, and even custom plates you can order (https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/7801414 ... -spin-bike)

However, none of the charts I saw matched to what I got when doing the calculations myself using Kinetic. (Kinetic is said to overestimate power output a bit, but it seems to be more reasonable when using the numbers during the Peloton classes)

My numbers were:
P: 25 = IC4: 0
P: 30 = IC4: 3
P: 35 = IC4: 6
P: 40 = IC4: 11
P: 45 = IC4: 18
P: 50 = IC4: 25

I posted a question on Reddit and other IC4 owners (including one that used more accurate power pedals) got similar numbers too.
Dec 28, 2010
618 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
barrist wrote: The IC4 HR band is probably fine but I have tattoos which I think can mess with HR monitors!

The IC4 and Peloton resistance levels are definitely not 1:1. There are charts floating around, and even custom plates you can order (https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/7801414 ... -spin-bike)

However, none of the charts I saw matched to what I got when doing the calculations myself using Kinetic. (Kinetic is said to overestimate power output a bit, but it seems to be more reasonable when using the numbers during the Peloton classes)

My numbers were:

I posted a question on Reddit and other IC4 owners (including one that used more accurate power pedals) got similar numbers too.
I saw the one on Etsy but the one you wrote seems more doable and practical to me and I'm a regular runner.
Mar 21, 2016
162 posts
124 upvotes
barrist wrote: The IC4 HR band is probably fine but I have tattoos which I think can mess with HR monitors!

My numbers were:

Thanks!! That is really helpful. It also makes me feel better that I couldn’t go at the resistances they were calling out in class. I made a couple pictures if anyone wants to use them during rides. I use my phone on landscape mode and place it under the computer screen on the ic4 with the chart up on it for resistance conversion.
702AC55A-464E-4523-BE44-75900010E1B1.png
Apr 1, 2009
267 posts
72 upvotes
GTA

EDIT: one hiccup when using Kinetic to record your workouts... if you're doing off-bike stuff (e.g. Bike Bootcamps), it stops recording calories when there's 0 cadence. I don't think there's a comparable app out there so might just switch it up in those cases (record a workout on apple watch, send cadence to the peloton app to follow the instructor's call outs).
I tried to connect my Apple Watch to Kinetic, but it doesn't see HeartCast at all (HeartCast is running on both the watch and my phone and is "Start"ed on the watch. Kinetic running on my iPad and connected to the IC4). I tried with the bike and it sees HeartCast and connects to it, so I'm wondering whether you have managed to connect the Apple Watch (with HeartCast) directly to the Kinetic app or you are going through the bike, which is connected to Kinetic?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2004
2322 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa
Olbi wrote: I tried to connect my Apple Watch to Kinetic, but it doesn't see HeartCast at all (HeartCast is running on both the watch and my phone and is "Start"ed on the watch. Kinetic running on my iPad and connected to the IC4). I tried with the bike and it sees HeartCast and connects to it, so I'm wondering whether you have managed to connect the Apple Watch (with HeartCast) directly to the Kinetic app or you are going through the bike, which is connected to Kinetic?

Thanks!
Yes, I found that it was pretty finicky. To the point now where I just use the band that came with the bike with Kinetic. It's pretty seamless that way.. I press the P button on the bike to connect the HR band and then Kinetic picks everything up every time (power, cadence, HR)

I was hoping for a solution that I could just use the Watch with, but it was a no go. Kinetic at some point worked directly with the Apple Watch (shows up as an HR option), but my understanding is that's broken now and they're going to remove that feature.
Apr 1, 2009
267 posts
72 upvotes
GTA
barrist wrote: Yes, I found that it was pretty finicky. To the point now where I just use the band that came with the bike with Kinetic. It's pretty seamless that way.. I press the P button on the bike to connect the HR band and then Kinetic picks everything up every time (power, cadence, HR)

I was hoping for a solution that I could just use the Watch with, but it was a no go. Kinetic at some point worked directly with the Apple Watch (shows up as an HR option), but my understanding is that's broken now and they're going to remove that feature.
Thanks, that explains why the watch didn't even show on the Kinetic app when I tried.

I guess that I'll use the band as well.