• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2021 8:58 am
[OP]
Mar 14, 2012
388 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] Seagate 4tb one touch external al hard drive (Grey) $109.99

Haven't bought hard drives for years. Was looking for one as a birthday gift for a friend.

Please note:

1) This is the current one touch model
2) Discount is only for Grey color model

Not much review on this one touch line. Heard seagates portable hard drive should be similar but the internals are a little different, has 2 partitions(that's what a YouTube mentioned) compared to the basic line. 2 years warranty.

Was looking at 5tb but no discount on 5tb at $169.

I rather get a 250gb ssd for the $60 difference.

Not sure if this is a good deal, but that's the best I could find today, as I needed it today. Cheers!
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 24th, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
22 replies
Aug 19, 2013
907 posts
841 upvotes
TORONTO
Looks like almost every portable is SMR
Penalty Box
Nov 11, 2006
836 posts
984 upvotes
@home
3 downvotes and no comments, you people are savage.
Jan 2, 2017
390 posts
425 upvotes
If it was 10 bucks less it would be hot. Similar to the Seagate a month ago if I remember correctly, it was also a portable 4tb HD
Aug 12, 2010
916 posts
750 upvotes
Eckz wrote: 3 downvotes and no comments, you people are savage.
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
5914 posts
4186 upvotes
M-Arkham
4TB external? I remember paying $80 a few months ago for 1
1x Zoomer $45 for 7GB ,unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide txt/talk small plan(+3GB bonus )
1x Fido $45 for 4Gb w/ unlimited Canada wide n 1000 int min + LG velvet 5G
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16197 posts
4704 upvotes
Markham
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1369 posts
2087 upvotes
There was a Seagates 4TB at Staples for $90 couple weeks back
Penalty Box
Nov 11, 2006
836 posts
984 upvotes
@home
Nev007 wrote: If it was 10 bucks less it would be hot. Similar to the Seagate a month ago if I remember correctly, it was also a portable 4tb HD
rabbit wrote: It's an okay deal.

The Seagate Basic 4TB was $100 last week ($120 for the 5TB), but it has a plastic top cover, whereas this one is aluminum. I would pay the extra tenner for aluminum (if I had to). Like the other person said, the One Touch grey was $100 a couple of months ago.
aintic wrote: There was a Seagates 4TB at Staples for $90 couple weeks back
Brewmeanie wrote: 4TB external? I remember paying $80 a few months ago for 1
Jan 2, 2017
390 posts
425 upvotes
Eckz wrote: Image
Kudos for the B2F time machine gif, but its clear that a 4tb drive similar to this one goes on sale often so if you dont need one immediately, then your better of waiting...
Penalty Box
Nov 11, 2006
836 posts
984 upvotes
@home
Nev007 wrote: Kudos for the B2F time machine gif, but its clear that a 4tb drive similar to this one goes on sale often so if you dont need one immediately, then your better of waiting...
Much appreciated,

Carry on folks.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11758 posts
3111 upvotes
I think the rule of thumb was $25/tb was decent but $20/TB is a great deal. Like the 10 TB one that was on sale for $200
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2370 posts
1447 upvotes
Vancouveresque
rabbit wrote: If you mean staples-seagate-expansion-4-tb-usb-3-0- ... s-2458592/ , it was $100, not including any coupons, and it was the fugly model. I've only had the 3.5" version that looks like this, and the casing is thin plastic.
6TB drives were marked down to $99 at SDM very recently as well. $110 for a 4TB drive just isn't a great deal.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
May 30, 2011
604 posts
204 upvotes
Winnipeg
Is there such a thing as a home storage device that you can set up and have it used for different things. I would like to back up stuff from my iPad, phone, and partners chrome book and also use for game storage for an Xbox series s and a ps5

Or do I essentially need three different hard drives. One for the ps5, one for the Xbox and one for the other gadgets?

External storage eludes me especially with the new consoles. I have no idea what is good. What’s a good price. What I need for what. I’ve googled “best hard drive for________” but thought there might be a better way? Lol
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13286 posts
2503 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
GeeCee wrote: 6TB drives were marked down to $99 at SDM very recently as well. $110 for a 4TB drive just isn't a great deal.
Notebook drive versus desktop drive.
Aug 19, 2013
907 posts
841 upvotes
TORONTO
Nev007 wrote: Kudos for the B2F time machine gif, but its clear that a 4tb drive similar to this one goes on sale often so if you dont need one immediately, then your better of waiting...
This. I dont know why this site of all places hate on these posts of previous deals. It's not like these deals were from 10 years ago. They're very relevant and it's nice to know something could be had for a bit cheaper if it's not needed immediately.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
5914 posts
4186 upvotes
M-Arkham
Jlmcneil wrote: Is there such a thing as a home storage device that you can set up and have it used for different things. I would like to back up stuff from my iPad, phone, and partners chrome book and also use for game storage for an Xbox series s and a ps5

Or do I essentially need three different hard drives. One for the ps5, one for the Xbox and one for the other gadgets?

External storage eludes me especially with the new consoles. I have no idea what is good. What’s a good price. What I need for what. I’ve googled “best hard drive for________” but thought there might be a better way? Lol
For Consoles, if you're going to load full games (50GB+) into it and play games off it, look for one with a fast CMR 7200rpm drive in it ideally, or just get an external SSD.

For others, if it's just strictly backup storage, then get whatever is good bang for buck, Don't have to worry too much about SMR or CMR drive, won't matter too much for backup storage situation.
1x Zoomer $45 for 7GB ,unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide txt/talk small plan(+3GB bonus )
1x Fido $45 for 4Gb w/ unlimited Canada wide n 1000 int min + LG velvet 5G
Dec 6, 2020
495 posts
470 upvotes
Brewmeanie wrote: For others, if it's just strictly backup storage, then get whatever is good bang for buck, Don't have to worry too much about SMR or CMR drive, won't matter too much for backup storage situation.
SMR drives will perform horribly when consolidating backup snapshots created by backup tools that use forever-forward incremental backups. If you only back up by copying files or by making full backups, then SMR will work acceptably well, but it should be avoided if you use more sophisticated backup tools.

SMR is only suitable for archival-type data that is written once and very rarely (if ever) modified -- which is the only use case the technology was designed for until manufacturers got greedy and forced SMR into inappropriate products.