Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Seagate Backup Plus 10TB Desktop External Hard Drive - $229.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2020 5:32 pm
Jun 9, 2012
421 posts
270 upvotes
Vancouver
Wasn't that great of a deal tbh. There was a $200 version last year.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4509 posts
6089 upvotes
Vancouver
BigBrother0 wrote: No, I don't think so. PS5 uses SSDs, so maybe competitive reasons could make HDD prices cheaper?
I believe it has lot to do with the state of Canadian $$
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6617 posts
2894 upvotes
BigBrother0 wrote: Wasn't that great of a deal tbh. There was a $200 version last year.
also havent seen it in many months. This particular 2 usb port model with 2 year warranty keeps showing up instead.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1857 posts
1189 upvotes
Ottawa
frostiex wrote: Actually, instruction books are what costco looks for. They don't care for packaging afaik
tntdeal wrote: exFat allows you use on both Windows and Mac, in trade off for hundreds of GB wasted.

I don't think the instruction book has the same UPC/Product codes on the box that they need for return. Have you done it with instruction book before?
They don't care about anything actually, I just returned a 2 years old toothbrush because it stopped, they just looked it up in their system, found the receipt and did the return. All they asked for are all original accessories.
fatestkid wrote:
Yes mine maxes out at 1 year. So two years total. I should have been clearer that I have Costco and credit card in parallel not in addition.
Wouldn't it be 2+1 year? Or is it because the 2nd year is Costco's so they don't count it?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5214 posts
1121 upvotes
Sale has been extended to July 2nd!

For those buying multiple units of this drive for a NAS, I'd try your best to stagger your purchases so you're not ordering 3-4 from the same batch. If there was a manufacturer/shipping issue with that batch you may have both drives fail within a very close time frame of each other. I ordered one unit yesterday morning online with another unit ordered later in the day and a 3rd unit being picked up from a local Best Buy
Last edited by game_fanatic on Jun 26th, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19389 posts
6467 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
game_fanatic wrote: Sale has been extended to July 2nd!

For those buying multiple units of this drive for a NAS, I'd try your best to stagger your purchases so you're not ordered 3-4 from the same batch. If there was a manufacturer/shipping issue with that batch you may have both drives fail within a very close time frame of each other. I ordered one unit yesterday morning online with another unit ordered later in the day and a 3rd unit being picked up from a local Best Buy
I'm sure this is exactly how Amazon and Google order the drives for their data centers.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5214 posts
1121 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: I'm sure this is exactly how Amazon and Google order the drives for their data centers.
Amazon and Google are billion dollar companies and may not worry too much about drive failures and associated costs, however for us lowly consumers if I have any way to mitigate my drives failing within a short time of each other I'll take those steps. To each their own.

edit: I originally thought I had read this on a some subreddit somewhere, but after doing more research (and checking out r/DataHoarder) it seems this may be one of those consumer myths that floats around. I don't think it hurts to stagger your drive purchases but there's a level of inconvenience to doing so and might not be entirely necessary.
Last edited by game_fanatic on Jun 26th, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4508 posts
5349 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BinaryJay wrote: I'm sure this is exactly how Amazon and Google order the drives for their data centers.
They don't order them separately, but they certainly can randomize them during assembly. It's pretty common.
Feb 22, 2017
143 posts
222 upvotes
toronto, ON
txenglan wrote: There's no set rule on this. For example, in my Unraid array, I have a few of these 7200 RPM drives alongside 10 other drives (5400 RPM) from Hitachi, WD and other Seagates yet these 7200 RPM drives all run a few degrees cooler than any of my 5400 RPM models.
Interesting - I have two of the seagate drives and 3 WD Reds and the Seagate's run a couple degrees hotter in my setup.
Feb 22, 2017
143 posts
222 upvotes
toronto, ON
colezy9 wrote: What is a popular / good choice for a NAS enclosure? I only need a couple 10 TB disks.
Synology is very popular, QNAP is another big name. Note that if you only run 2 drives you are pretty limited. If you want redundancy you're stuck with drive mirroring which gives you just 10TB total. If you want more capacity you have no redundancy. I bought an old rack mount IBM server for $200 instead so now I've got 12 drive bays, dual Xeon's and 64 GB of RAM but that route requires quite a lot more tinkering and you need somewhere out of the way to store it unless you really like the noise :).
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19389 posts
6467 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Would have liked to have paid a bit less but I'm reaching the end of my capacity. Ended up ordering a couple to up capacity in my 5 bay synology... I paid only slightly less for two ST4000VN000 (4GB NAS Drives) in 2015. They have 40,000 power on hours now no problems. I also have two HMS5C4040ALE640 purchased the year before that still running with 55000 hours... and a ST4000DM000 with only 27000 hours.
Trying to decide which drives to replace first.

The ST4000DM000 was only put in there to replace an even more ancient drive that was failing because I had it on hand at the time, they're not meant for 24/7 NAS use... so that one is out even though it has the least hours.
The HGST drives have a pretty stellar reliability track history according to backblaze data, but are a year older and have more power on hours than the Seagates.
Haven't found as much data on the ST4000VN000.

I'm leaning towards retiring the HGST drives with more hours to cold storage duty. Already have a 10TB IronWolf that will also go in the array so will be replacing three drives. It is going to take forever to rebuild the array three times and I'll be sweating the whole time. :/

Once you start getting up in drive capacities raid redundancy really starts to hurt even when using SHR. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2007
1012 posts
294 upvotes
Calgary
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: They don't care about anything actually, I just returned a 2 years old toothbrush because it stopped, they just looked it up in their system, found the receipt and did the return. All they asked for are all original accessories.

Wouldn't it be 2+1 year? Or is it because the 2nd year is Costco's so they don't count it?
I believe costco handles the 2nd year from the credit card personally. Just like other CC's extended protection is not from the CC, but some other underwriter.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2007
1012 posts
294 upvotes
Calgary
tntdeal wrote: exFat allows you use on both Windows and Mac, in trade off for hundreds of GB wasted.

I don't think the instruction book has the same UPC/Product codes on the box that they need for return. Have you done it with instruction book before?
that was never a problem for me...they have always only asked me for instruction book
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1857 posts
1189 upvotes
Ottawa
frostiex wrote: I believe costco handles the 2nd year from the credit card personally. Just like other CC's extended protection is not from the CC, but some other underwriter.
Ok, they don't require payment with CC though, so the only difference is them offering it to all customers with any mode of payment