Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB 3.5" USB 3.0 External Desktop Hard Drive $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2020 5:40 pm
[OP]
Sep 13, 2005
21 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver bc

[Best Buy] Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB 3.5" USB 3.0 External Desktop Hard Drive $179.99

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/se ... r=PLP_Reco

might be better than Costco 8tb western hard drive
Last edited by TomRFD on May 25th, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
32 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15928 posts
2600 upvotes
Toronto
I believe this is a SMR drive which some do not like.

I have the same drive and have been using it for over a year for backup. No problems encountered.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2800 posts
761 upvotes
Ottawa
reddragon wrote: might be better than Costco 8tb western hard drive
Of the 2, I would recommend the Costco WD drive instead. The reason is that that one is traditional PMR, whereas this Seagate one is SMR.

What does that mean in layman terms?

SMR - which stands for shingled magnetic recording has the same read performance, but has significantly worse write performance. So if you copy a 10GB file, the first ~2GB might be written at regular speeds, but after that it'll drop to about 20MB/s - often worse than USB 2.0 speeds.

Eventually the disk essentially defragments, and performance returns to normal until the next large file copy.

SMR is usually intended for write once (at painfully slow speeds IMO), read many - abbreviated as WORM.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
8725 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: I believe this is a SMR drive which some do not like.

I have the same drive and have been using it for over a year for backup. No problems encountered.
What's not to like about SMR drives?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15928 posts
2600 upvotes
Toronto
CHINAdeals wrote: What's not to like about SMR drives?
Many buy external drives for use in a NAS and smr drives are not suited for use in a server.
Last edited by audit13 on May 23rd, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15928 posts
2600 upvotes
Toronto
Akitakara wrote: Of the 2, I would recommend the Costco WD drive instead. The reason is that that one is traditional PMR, whereas this Seagate one is SMR.

What does that mean in layman terms?

SMR - which stands for shingled magnetic recording has the same read performance, but has significantly worse write performance. So if you copy a 10GB file, the first ~2GB might be written at regular speeds, but after that it'll drop to about 20MB/s - often worse than USB 2.0 speeds.

Eventually the disk essentially defragments, and performance returns to normal until the next large file copy.

SMR is usually intended for write once (at painfully slow speeds IMO), read many - abbreviated as WORM.
I have this same drive and have never had it drop to usb 2.0 speeds when copying files to and from the drive that range from 15 to 80 GB.
Last edited by audit13 on May 22nd, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2800 posts
761 upvotes
Ottawa
audit13 wrote: I have this same drive and have never had it drop to usb 2.0 speeds when copying files to and from the drive that range from 15 to 80 GB.
mmm in fairness, it might not be quite as low as that, since I'm speaking from my experience relatively early on when Seagate first started using SMR drives in their portable HDDs. These ones now have a much higher cache (256 MB), iirc - which helps mask performance hits.
Oct 20, 2014
94 posts
80 upvotes
Trenton, on
I have been using the seagate 6TBs (SMR) from shoppers for a while now. I get around 120MB/s, but I use it for backup, so have not had to move files around. That was a good deal for $100 + 20x pts, and with super redemption, essentially brings it down to $50
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15928 posts
2600 upvotes
Toronto
Akitakara wrote: mmm in fairness, it might not be quite as low as that, since I'm speaking from my experience relatively early on when Seagate first started using SMR drives in their portable HDDs. These ones now have a much higher cache (256 MB), iirc - which helps mask performance hits.
Copying to the drive averages around 80 to 90 MBps. I don't have a fastdesktop (i5-2500k) and the usb 3.0 controller is an Etron which isn't the best usb chip.
Jun 26, 2009
692 posts
279 upvotes
Calgary
have this drive, no issues with speed.. i easily get 40 MB/s write speed over LAN.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3274 posts
582 upvotes
Newbury, ON
tabishz wrote: have this drive, no issues with speed.. i easily get 40 MB/s write speed over LAN.
for a 8tb drive - 40mbs is painfully slow..
Nov 3, 2009
319 posts
99 upvotes
Winnipeg
Great for an unraid media server. I have several

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)