Best Buy

Seagate Expansion 10TB Desktop External Hard Drive (STEB10000400) - $249.99

[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2055 posts
678 upvotes
Halton

[Best Buy] Seagate Expansion 10TB Desktop External Hard Drive (STEB10000400) - $249.99

Warm deal on this 10TB external drive. Reportedly a Barracuda PRO inside.
Might be a decent deal for those without a time machine who missed out on the earlier Seagate Backup Plus 10TB sale.
46 replies
Oct 9, 2013
439 posts
93 upvotes
Calgary
It was on sale for 199 when I grabbed 2 of them...
Apr 20, 2017
273 posts
380 upvotes
Montreal
Bought the backup plus for 230$ on June 25 but now I want more.
most things haven't worked out
Oct 31, 2013
700 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
How can we tell what drive is inside without cracking open ?
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
Oct 31, 2013
700 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
neptune wrote: Use a tool like CrystalDiskInfo or similar to get the drive model number. Look up the model number online to determine the actual drive.
Thanks very much appreciated
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3523 posts
1636 upvotes
Ottawa
psxcheater wrote: How can we tell what drive is inside without cracking open ?
Just a FYI though - BB only accepts refunds on HDDs if they are unopened
Oct 31, 2013
700 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Akitakara wrote: Just a FYI though - BB only accepts refunds on HDDs if they are unopened
You just read my mind. I was looking at the BB policy to return it in case of.. I think I'm gonna keep it regardless barracuda pro is the first option but if it's an ironwolf I would leave it in the enclosure
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1685 posts
1309 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Akitakara wrote: Just a FYI though - BB only accepts refunds on HDDs if they are unopened
Can you clarify? They won't take it back even if the retail packaging is opened? Or are you referring to if the enclosure?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2055 posts
678 upvotes
Halton
twopointfivebar wrote: Can you clarify? They won't take it back even if the retail packaging is opened? Or are you referring to if the enclosure?
The packaging must be unopened to qualify for return.

Computer Components
Return Period: 30 days
Condition: Unopened

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/help/blta7 ... 4e1d24e6c2
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20173 posts
8226 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
You can't tell what drive is inside for sure without opening the packaging and opening the package disqualifies returns.

Just making sure people understand this.

I'll wait for closer to $200 again before buying more, though I got lucky and both the backup plus hubs I got turned out to be ironwolfs and they're in my 5 bay Synology now. The extra capacity should last me long enough to wait out a better sale hopefully around black friday/prime day time.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2020
1047 posts
1088 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: You can't tell what drive is inside for sure without opening the packaging and opening the package disqualifies returns.

Just making sure people understand this.

I'll wait for closer to $200 again before buying more, though I got lucky and both the backup plus hubs I got turned out to be ironwolfs and they're in my 5 bay Synology now. The extra capacity should last me long enough to wait out a better sale hopefully around black friday/prime day time.

People use Crystalmark I believe all the time to get the model # for these -- then it's just a matter of comparing that with what WD publishes/knowing how to read their model codes -- pretty common here on RFD.

I'd really appreciate it if someone did buy from this latest batch and check the model # before shucking. Would let us know what we're getting. Price isn't great, but who knows when it will come down again due to Covid-Fun-Time...

EDIT: Ah, I see what you said there now. Yes, opening the package I suppose invalidates the (Bestbuy) return.. Still, if someone has the latest specs, share please! :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5231 posts
7304 upvotes
Vancouver
Some serious blind Seagate hate goes on here... Ignoranties down voting Barracuda PROs and IronfVolfes as "bad products".. Oh, boy...

On the other hand, price is pretty freezing...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)