Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Seagate Expansion 3TB 2.5" Portable $119 - Flash sale!

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2017 6:42 pm
46 replies
Jan 29, 2004
500 posts
413 upvotes
for 2.5 inch drive, its a good price!
Last edited by frenetic26 on May 10th, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
frenetic26 wrote: cold, these go on sale for 99$ usually. so 120$ is a normal price.
Except you know, this is a 2.5" drive, not a 3.5" drive.
Sep 15, 2012
23 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought the 4TB version(STEA4000400) for 129$ on last OCT. 3TB for 119$ can't consider as hot deal.
Jan 29, 2004
500 posts
413 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Except you know, this is a 2.5" drive, not a 3.5" drive.
Whoop, yeah for 2.5, its very decent!
Dec 25, 2016
59 posts
72 upvotes
I heard Seagate hard drives have a high fail rate, with some people having problems a year after :/. Anybody have any experience? Looking for an external hard drive for my PS4, and I'm currently looking at this or the WD My Passport.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
Chakshdeep wrote: I heard Seagate hard drives have a high fail rate, with some people having problems a year after :/. Anybody have any experience? Looking for an external hard drive for my PS4, and I'm currently looking at this or the WD My Passport.
Those are age old history by now. What you are talking about came from this citation https://www.extremetech.com/computing/1 ... -data-good

Which is almost 4 years old and no longer relevant. In general Seagate current model are not particularly more failure prone.

Keep in mind you will never get fail safe spinning disk. Any brand will have some risk.

Also this is a hot deal for sure for 2.5" drive 3TB
Sep 2, 2004
796 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville
As an IT field tech, I've replaced many seagate drives would not touch them even if they were giving them away. Expect like 2-3 years max out of it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6484 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
if you don't need it immediately, wait for sdm $99 with 20x pts...
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
trunkzz wrote: As an IT field tech, I've replaced many seagate drives would not touch them even if they were giving them away. Expect like 2-3 years max out of it.
just like a TLC SSD.
Dec 25, 2016
59 posts
72 upvotes
trunkzz wrote: As an IT field tech, I've replaced many seagate drives would not touch them even if they were giving them away. Expect like 2-3 years max out of it.
So would you recommend a WD My Passport?
ID01 wrote: Those are age old history by now. What you are talking about came from this citation https://www.extremetech.com/computing/1 ... -data-good

Which is almost 4 years old and no longer relevant. In general Seagate current model are not particularly more failure prone.

Keep in mind you will never get fail safe spinning disk. Any brand will have some risk.

Thanks for the reply!
Last edited by Chakshdeep on May 10th, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 16, 2007
503 posts
135 upvotes
Chakshdeep wrote: I heard Seagate hard drives have a high fail rate, with some people having problems a year after :/. Anybody have any experience? Looking for an external hard drive for my PS4, and I'm currently looking at this or the WD My Passport.
Seagate issues are good now, I guess they were bad a few years ago after a flood. I just finished a bunch of research to upgrade my ps4 storage space from 500gb. Seafarers expansion is supposed to be a good one for the ps4. Ultimately I went with upgrading the internal drive with Seagates 2.5 2tb Firecuda. Tons of space and working awesome. Huge increase in load times for games and apps you use most often.

Expansion more space but slower. And USB cable needed. WD will work too

Firecuda for better load times.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
1608 posts
389 upvotes
I heard many problems with the 3TB, is that true? Better to get the 4TB version...
1x$36 Zoomer Plan with 2GB + Unlimited Call and Text
1x$45 Zoomer Plan with 4GB + Unlimited Call and Text
Dec 29, 2008
588 posts
892 upvotes
Mississauga
same price at staples (cheaper if you can find a coupon to couple with it). Also take advantage of rebate sites to get more saving
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1237 posts
1441 upvotes
TORONTO
Ducky wrote: if you don't need it immediately, wait for sdm $99 with 20x pts...
Yup.

I have over 20 of these in an Intel NUC Plex server array (write once) , and some have been running 24 / 7 / 365 no problem.

Every drive will eventually fail if given enough time and wear. Instead of focusing on failure rates of specific brands, it's far more important to develop strong data backup habits. Seagate will fail. WD will fail (even worse, the 2.5" externals will fail with the encrypted SATA / USB connection point soldered on and then you'll really be up Schitt's Creek without a paddle.)

[I'd take the Backblaze results with a grain of salt. I don't know why everyone references it like it's the Bible on hard drives. It's hardly an impartial source, since it is commercially invested in "cloud backup and storage services." For such serious and long-standing allegations against Seagate - bordering on slander / libel - I've yet to see a single clear cut and detailed outline of methodology.

Also, what is done with the drives may be different from your typical consumer usage scenario. i.e. Samsung 840 Pro has been tested to withstand 2.5 Petabytes of write tests. A normal person, writing only several terabytes per year at max, would take a thousand years to achieve catastrophic failure at that juncture point. However, if I were to host 100 of these SSDs in a commercial or enterprise server setting, I could destroy 95 of them in a year. It's irresponsible journalism to report, then, that the Samsung 840 Pro has a 95% failure rate after 1 year without outlining exactly what situation-specific criteria were involved.

It's like saying, "Oh hey, you guys, I bought 100 bananas in bulk from this grocery store on clearance one time back 2014. I forgot them in the trunk of my car in the summer for a few hours. 95 of them went bad. Yeah, maybe that's why they were on clearance. Therefore, forever and ever, every single type of banana from every production date at every single grocery store across the country will go bad. Don't ever buy them."]
Last edited by PitchyDawg on May 10th, 2017 11:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
Sep 2, 2004
796 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville
Chakshdeep wrote: So would you recommend a WD My Passport?

Thanks for the reply!
If you can find one for a good price, yeah.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
Chakshdeep wrote: So would you recommend a WD My Passport?
I'd avoid the WD Passport drives. They solder the controller to the drive removing the ability to remove the drive from it's chassis and hook it up internally/with an adapter. This just adds an unnecessary point of failure to the drives.
Jan 4, 2008
637 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
ID01 wrote: Those are age old history by now. What you are talking about came from this citation https://www.extremetech.com/computing/1 ... -data-good

Job, IT Consultant/ Tech/ small MSP. In the past 6 years experiences Seagates fail much more than their WD counterparts. Even disks that pass SMART/Short and long dst and full scans will have horrible degraded performance for odd reasons and jus completely fail out of the blue. We will never recommend, buy or replace with Seagate for our business customers. Not too much of an issue now because even with staff workstations we urge and insist SSDs, no one should be saving on their local drives anyways, the time saved from user reported slowdowns and hangs, diagnosing conventional HDD is insurmountable.

That being said, I did purchase this ext hdd in pinch at Shoppers Drug Mart as just one of the much needed portable storage devices needed for the job, couldn't pass up the $99 price + bonus shoppers optimum points. Been using it for a few weeks and it does the job on PC's that have trouble reading from my usb 3.0 UASP enclosure , but will not depend on it's reliability so I use it in conjunction with my other ext drives and enclosures
Jan 4, 2008
637 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote: just like a TLC SSD.
Not if it's 3d nand, also depending on make, usage and luck.

Edit: also in a year and a half we'll have some real world examples so we'll see how it turns out. We have quite a few out there, sandisk, adata's to samsung pro evo's.
Sep 16, 2007
119 posts
16 upvotes
PitchyDawg wrote: It's like saying, "Oh hey, you guys, I bought 100 bananas in bulk from this grocery store on clearance one time back 2014. I forgot them in the trunk of my car in the summer for a few hours. 95 of them went bad. Yeah, maybe that's why they were on clearance. Therefore, forever and ever, every single type of banana from every production date at every single grocery store across the country will go bad. Don't ever buy them."]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)