Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Seagate Expansion 5TB Portable External Hard Drive (STEA5000402) - Black $99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2019 7:35 am
[OP]
Nov 26, 2019
9 posts
59 upvotes

[Best Buy] Seagate Expansion 5TB Portable External Hard Drive (STEA5000402) - Black $99

Bestbuy has Seagate Expansion 5TB Portable External Hard Drive (STEA5000402) - Black for $99 today , save $63 . For today only .
34 replies
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2011
5215 posts
1972 upvotes
My personnal seagates failure rate is like 90% after a year or two.

I avoid this brand like the plague.
Last edited by Coz4k on Dec 16th, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
3323 posts
1138 upvotes
Montreal
I bought 2 seagates and they both failed withing a year buy at your own risk... lost some precious pictures and data!
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3545 posts
881 upvotes
I shucked this from BF sale.

ST5000LM000, consensus is that it's SMR but Segate manual says otherwise. Using it to hold my video files so not a big deal.

I tend to buy cheap and over the years I've had maybe 2 fail, still higher failure rate than the WDs i have but i also have more Segate.
Nov 12, 2016
272 posts
310 upvotes
I had a Seagate 6tb drive die after a month and lost a lot of data as a result. I would not rely on these outside of a raid system.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5491 posts
2154 upvotes
Winnipeg
Any recommendations?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5213 posts
627 upvotes
Coz4k wrote: My personnal seagates failure rate is like 90% after a year or two.

I had one like this I thought was dead within a month. Turns out the drive is fine, just the enclosure sucks. Just shuck it
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4937 posts
3934 upvotes
Edmonton
I have used 10+ seagates internal and external from 250GB to 4TB in the past 15 years and have had zero failures. I've also owned many WD drives and only had one partial failure where the WD external enclosure was dead. WD replaced its under warranty. Any drive can fail for a myriad of reasons and redundant backup is all that is important. Brand loyalty/hate makes no sense.

I would suggest reading up on Google's study on data storage. There are many other data centers that have published information. Its a fascinating topic, and you will find some common "givens" will be dispelled.

Here is something interesting from the google study:
- Contrary to previously reported results, we found very little correlation between failure rates and either elevated temperature or elevated activity levels.
- Some SMART parameters (scan errors, reallocation counts, offline reallocation counts, and probational counts) have a large impact on failure probability.
- Given the lack of occurrence of predictive SMART signals on a large fraction of failed drives, it is unlikely that an accurate predictive failure model can be built based on these signals alone
I am no expert in this subject matter. I just know that redundant backup (on-site and off-site) is the only foolproof solution.
Last edited by fatestkid on Dec 16th, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Dec 29, 2016
17 posts
7 upvotes
Montague, PE
It's been a while since they last upped the capacities of portable drives. I wonder if there is a 6 or 8TB portable on the horizon.....
Aug 29, 2018
306 posts
391 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: I have used 10+ seagates internal and external from 250GB to 4TB in the past 15 years and have had zero failures. I've also owned many WD drives and only had one partial failure where the WD external enclosure was dead. WD replaced its under warranty. Any drive can fail for a myriad of reasons and redundant backup is all that is important. Brand loyalty/hate makes no sense.
Also from the same study:
Failure rates are known to be highly correlated with drive models, manufacturers and vintages [18]. Our results do not contradict this fact.

They go on to explain that their results on failures due to age (Figure 2) is partially explained by the fact that they slowly change the composition of their drives with different brands/vintages.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4937 posts
3934 upvotes
Edmonton
pbeutch wrote: Also from the same study:

They go on to explain that their results on failures due to age (Figure 2) is partially explained by the fact that they slowly change the composition of their drives with different brands/vintages.
I have no problem accepting that certain models from certain brands may exhibit high failure rates. Could be due to inherent bad design on the drive or the enclosure or a million other reasons. My argument is against brand loyalty/hate and my message is redundant backup. Also:
Failure rates are known to be highly correlated with drive models, manufacturers and vintages [18]. Our results do not contradict this fact. For example, Figure 2 changes significantly when we normalize failure rates per each drive model. Most age-related results are impacted by drive vintages. ... Interestingly, this does not change our conclusions. In contrast to age-related results, we note that all results shown in the rest of the paper are not affected significantly by the population mix....

Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10015 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
Perfect for Nas builds
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: I have used 10+ seagates internal and external from 250GB to 4TB in the past 15 years and have had zero failures.
I'm over 100 personally with one.

I love the brand disloyalty every time Seagate pops up.
First off, someone's gonna lose a drive. A 1% failure rate means that 1 out of every 100 people are going to lose data.
Guess who speaks out the most? It certainly isn't the 99 other people that have a perfectly working drive.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2345 posts
2167 upvotes
Whitby
Coz4k wrote: My personnal seagates failure rate is like 90% after a year or two.

Always on sale. Go figure. If you are going to have a seagate buy 2 and mirror them. Or lose your data.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1543 posts
717 upvotes
I have bought quite a few seagates and had none die so far... The biggest reason i prefer seagate over WD is the seagates still use SATA interfaces. You can rip these out of the enclosure and slap them into something else. Course its kinda a moot point with these drive(or any of the portable ones bigger than 2tb) as its 15mm thick and thus wont actually fit in anything other the the enclosure... But its still more versatile than the WD's that have the USB interface soldered into it.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4937 posts
3934 upvotes
Edmonton
dyalect wrote: Always on sale. Go figure. If you are going to have a [seagate, WD, Toshiba or any other brand] buy 2 and mirror them. Or lose your data.
Fixed it for you. You're welcome.

Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2345 posts
2167 upvotes
Whitby
fatestkid wrote: Fixed it for you. You're welcome.
Some people insist on seagates. but you are correct.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3454 posts
521 upvotes
Toronto
No 6tb for $99.99 at Amazon/memory express on Black Friday posts?
Jun 24, 2016
487 posts
490 upvotes

It seems like something is wrong with you, not the other way around. How are you storing them?

Recent Seagates have had generally on-par failure rates, maybe 1-2% higher than other brands at most. The myth of the poor reliability SeaGates came from the 3TB model, which was notorious for constantly failing.

Lately I've heard people just making stuff up to justify their ridiculous notions about this.
Nov 28, 2013
448 posts
249 upvotes
I've personally had more WD drives fail on me than Seagates. I remember a WB black that continuously failed on me in succession everytime via warranty that WD had to send me a Gold as an apology. Granted, I haven't had many issues since.

Question though, Would this be a good buy for something like a PS4? I'm thinking of getting a Pro soon, but I'm worried the internal storage won't be enough,